Fritillary ID please - HBF / DGF

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
jonno

Fritillary ID please - HBF / DGF

Post by jonno »

All

Could anyone help put a name to this frit please, seen South Wales today. I didn't really get a much closer view, but am leaning towards dark green fritillary based on a glimpse of underwing (but not definitive...)

Got me thinking - are there are any sure shot ways of IDing in the field on just the uppersides please? I read somewhere about sex brands as an alternative to the outer margin spots, but are there jizz / colour differences people swear by?

Many thanks

Jonno
Attachments
frit 5june2011.jpg
Michaeljf

Re: Fritillary ID please - HBF / DGF

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Jonno,
it looks like a Dark Green Fritillary to me. The edges of the upperwings look like they bow outwards slightly (convex rather than straight or concave) and the line of the upper spots (third row from the outer edge) look like they're pretty much in a line as opposed to the third dot from the top being more towards the centre of the wing). The general size of the butterfly can be judged from the body of the butterfly (i.e. large and hairy!!) and the thistle it's on.

But heck, the butterfly is not that close and there could be distortion from the angle. Where did you see it? I know there are both Dark Green and High Brown on the wing at Ewenny / Alun Valley sites now. Except that there wasn't much sun this morning. :wink:
Michael

p.s. Telling from the underside is much easier, with reference photos.
David M

Post by David M »

I'm certain that's a Dark Green Fritillary. It has that rounded look and the third forewing spot seems too bold for an HB.
jonno

Post by jonno »

Thanks - I thought it probably was but great to have some expert confirmation

Jonno

Return to “Identification”