june 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
admiral halsey

june 2011

Post by admiral halsey »

Just had a lovely picnic in Willow Park, Langdon hills. Loads of Moths disturbed as we walked through the meadow. Saw a Brimstone, 5 Speckled Wood, and the one below. Having trouble with ID, best guess Gatekeeper.

Rich
P1060603.JPGposs gatekeeper.jpg
There is a fine line between uninhibited and asleep
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: june 2011

Post by Padfield »

That's a meadow brown. Gatekeepers will come a little later.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

That is a Meadow Brown.
Early - like everything else this year.

I am also off for a picnic this evening, hoping for Marsh and Small Pearl Bordereds.
Cheers

Roger
EricY

Post by EricY »

Very warm in Hockley wood today, sweating by 10am see post on seperate "Essex Heath Frits" thread. At least 2 doz very nice Heath Frits i/c a copulating pr. Eric
admiral halsey

Post by admiral halsey »

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Rich
There is a fine line between uninhibited and asleep
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Have heard reports of Large Heath about. This seems early but in many respects it has been an 'early' year.
Has anyone else seen them before I take out a loan to fill the car with petrol :)

Hugh
Last edited by Hugh Middleton on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Visted a private meadow in Bishopstone nr Salisbury...could the second wave be starting as I saw very fresh looking Male Common Blue and very fresh looking Brown Argus, also a Brimstone and my first Meadow Brown of the year - photos to follow on personal diary

Cheers

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Another visit to Harmondsworth Moor this evening to see how the Meadow Browns are coming along. Saw six or seven today, including a couple of females. It is a pleasant change to see them looking new, as almost all my existing photos are of ragged individuals from mid or late season. Very attractive velvetty brown.

There were a couple of Small Heaths out today and some Common Blues - plus a rather fetching yellow moth which no doubt someone can put a name too...

Dave
Attachments
Meadow Brown female
Meadow Brown female
MB female underside
MB female underside
Roosting Common Blue male
Roosting Common Blue male
Small Heath with a companion
Small Heath with a companion
Attractive yellow moth
Attractive yellow moth
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Wurzel wrote:Visted a private meadow in Bishopstone nr Salisbury...could the second wave be starting as I saw very fresh looking Male Common Blue and very fresh looking Brown Argus, also a Brimstone and my first Meadow Brown of the year - photos to follow on personal diary

Cheers

Wurzel
Second wave ... we haven't even seen any of the first wave of common blues up here yet!! :(
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hi Dave,

your moth is a Yellow Shell, frequently disturbed by day and pretty darn eye-catching too.

Cheers mate,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Nice pics, millerd. Nice to see a Meadow Brown - yet to see one myself yet....
but since I spent a couple of mornings on the edge of a blackthorn thicket, waiting for Black Hairstreak to descend, perhaps not surprising.
I did try spraying (with sugar solution), but they preferred this vine for most of the time..... :lol:
Males only so far....
Males only so far....
B_H_3_low_Monks_Wood_1st_June_2011.jpg
B_H_5_low_Monks_Wood_1st_June_2011.jpg
B_H_4_low_Monks_Wood_1st_June_2011.jpg
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
millerd

Post by millerd »

Out close to home (near J14 of the M25) this afternoon on a true summer day. The warm sun had brought the Small Heath colony out in numbers - a steady count along 250 metres of path totalled between 50 and 60 individuals. They were flying up in groups of five and six, and almost every step raised one or two. There is a view of the area below (the motorway is about 250 metres behind the camera).

The same area produced three Common Blues, three Large Skippers and two Meadow Browns. Returning to more wooded parts, I encountered two brand new summer Commas (f. Hutchinsoni), the first this year. However, pictures were not easy, because apart from their own rivalry, a Large Skipper was intent on chasing one or both out of sight. Not a placid combination of species! There were several Small Whites out again, and in a riverside clearing a Red Admiral had set up shop - following his predecessors of every season I've been watching them. A guaranteed location.

Dave
Attachments
I may look cuddly...
I may look cuddly...
There are more than fifty Small Heaths in this picture...
There are more than fifty Small Heaths in this picture...
New season Comma
New season Comma
Latest incumbent in an old haunt
Latest incumbent in an old haunt
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

Hod hill bottom: Lots of Brown argus and Common blues, a good number of Dingy skipper, 1 Grizzled skipper,

Portland bill: Lots of Small and Common blues, Dingy skippers, Painted lady and a Hummingbird hawk moth.

Lankham bottom: a few Adonis blues, Lots of Common blues.

Priddy mineries: 3/4 Small pearl-bordered fritillaries, Common blues, 2/3 Green hairstreak, c5 Small copper.

Strawberry bank wood: Good numbers of Marsh fritillary in flight on the sunny bank (although many faded and tatty, however a few were still in good shape), 10+ Small blue, Common blues.

Loads (literally loads) of Small heath at all of the above.

cheers, Nick.
124.JPG
454.JPG
465.JPG
zb.JPG

(images - Small blue, Marsh frit, Marsh frit, Green hairstreak taking a liking to my jacket)
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

With the weather improving, I took a drive over to Wyre Forest this morning. I planned on looking for Pearl Bordered and Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries, if any of the former were still around that is.
I followed the route given in West Midlands BC booklet '30 Butterfly Walks in the West Midlands' and found numerous SPBFs in various meadows around the forest.
02.06.2011 166 resized.jpg
I also spotted a couple PBFs but these had seen much better days. I might have missed them if they hadn't looked so pale and tatty compared to the fresh looking SPBFs.
02.06.2011 095resized.jpg
Also seen were good numbers of Large Skippers, loads of Chimney Sweeper Moths and Burnet Companions and a female Brimstone.

On my way home I called in at one of my local spots and saw my first Meadow Browns of the year.
02.06.2011 291resized.jpg
A good day, especially after the past couple of weeks here which have been gloomy damp and windy.

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

nick patel wrote: 1 Grizzled skipper,
I'm surprised you're still seeing these.
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

David M wrote:

why's that? i thought they went into june in their flight period.

anyways, here's a record shot for proof :)
056a.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

nfreem wrote:... found numerous SPBFs in various meadows around the forest....

Neil.
That SPBF is interesting - some of the black spots run together on the forewing. Quite a striking individual.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

nick patel wrote:
David M wrote:

why's that? i thought they went into june in their flight period.
Because they emerged so early this year due to the wonderful conditions we had in early/mid April.

I thought they'd have blown themselves out by now.
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

David M wrote:
Because they emerged so early this year due to the wonderful conditions we had in early/mid April.

I thought they'd have blown themselves out by now.
Ah right i see, well luckily this one was still trooping around and in not too bad a condition, plus this was my first one so i was glad.
Piers

Post by Piers »

There are still a few fresh-ish females on the South Wilts Downs as well...

Return to “Sightings”