Zonda

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Zonda

Re: Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Found another small colony of Dukes at Cerne.
In the afternoon i slipped out to Kingcombe, where quite a few OTs were flying, and wonder of wonders, some of the males were settling (briefly). There was a lot of cursing involved.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Another shot of a GF from Sand Point last Friday. Catching up with processing backlog. :D

And a Small Copper from Cerne Abbas.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Taken at Durlston this morning. Good numbers, some a bit worn. Lots of Dingy, and a few Grizzled Skippers. Also a Small Blue or two.

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

A Small Pearl-bordered Frit. from Bentley Wood yesterday.

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Ace to see you got to Bentley Wood and another brill photo :mrgreen: Did you see any Dukes there or have they all perished now? Bentley is great later in the year too - with White Admiral, Silver Washed Frit etc. Might see you there in July!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

The Dukes are just hanging on, in another part of the wood, but i suspect they are past their best. My next visit to Bentley Wood will be for 'you know what' later in the season. :wink:

Cheers,,, Zonda.
jonno

Post by jonno »

Re Tuesday Durlston blue piccy

Could you help me with why this is an Adonis as the black doesn't seem to cut across the white margin. My inexperience here, so keen to learn!

Much appreciated

Jonno

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

jonno: Giving the help you want is a little difficult without a piccie.

Jack

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It's the last piccie on the previous page. And it is quite unambiguously an Adonis blue. The fringes are crossed by black, though the lines are narrow, but the colour, the lustrous texture of the blue and the lack of a conspicuous pale leading edge to the forewing all speak on their own.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
jonno

Post by jonno »

Guy

Many thanks - got it!

Jonno

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Another shot from last weekend's fantastic shoot with Chris and Dennis at Powerstock Common, and Kingcombe. As a matter of Odonata interest, the Beautiful Demoiselles are flying in their dozens at Kingcombe now. However, this is a Wood White. On our way out of Powerstock Common we encountered a lot of people with nets. In my opinion this is invasive, and hopefully they were only getting very worn Marsh Frits. I see no need for it,,, generally.

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

On our way out of Powerstock Common we encountered a lot of people with nets.
Did you challenge them Frank? I always do and haven't been thumped yet. But I wear glasses :D (Never hit a man wearing glasses).

Jack

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I wish you'd been there Jack. We just walked by them, saying nothing. As you know i'm very non-confrontational without lager. I don't think they were getting anything much, and i hope they didn't,, later discover the Wood Whites. :lol:

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hiya Zonda,

I used to be part of a small (we felt 'select' was a good word :wink: ) group of chaps with nets, often on nature reserves too. We were netting for micro-moths which are generally either too small or too darn quick to identify confidently without popping them into a pot first. Most were shown around for the others to check before being released at the point of capture - usually within a minute or so of being netted...although some (worn/critical specimens) were kept for later examination.

All of this is perfectly legal, even on SSSIs/LNRs, as long as the site owners are aware, have given permission and the species list is later provided. Although wandering across MoD land when the flags are flying is not to be advised!

So my point was that people with nets may well be aiding the fate of a site, friendly and informed, keen to share and not to be worried about.

Although you do always get those clueless tw@ts who are just out to grab themselves a butterfly / dragonfly just to add to a non-labelled (and therefore scientifically pointless) collection because it's summertime and the birds are 'quiet' at this time of year.

Alternatively, just get tanked-up before you go out and challenge away!! :D

All the best,

Gibster.

PS Even if they were "only getting worn Marsh Frits" they'd be breaking the law. Marsh Frits are fully protected at all stages. And I'm pretty sure that includes netting... :evil:

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I should perhaps have made it clear that I challenge in a totally friendly way. I have not in recent years come across anyone who was up to no good. It was as suggested micro-moths, bug various or mark and recapture to estimate population sizes. I met a group of students last year at Totternhoe Quarry. They were marking/releasing Dingy skippers but at the time I met them, they hadn't caught a single previously marked individual :cry:

So yes, nets are almost certainly being use in a benign manner. But I think it is worth checking every time.

Jack

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Jack Harrison wrote: or mark and recapture to estimate population sizes
I helped my friend for three days marking Gatekeepers at a local Surrey Wildlife Trust reserve many years back. I think he had 5 differently coloured Tippex pots. The net was a mess by the second day and we were high as kites from the fumes...never did find out the if the results actually proved anything...hmmmm.

Apologies Zonda, I'll get outta your Diary again :)

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

No sweat Gibster, an opinion aired is like a change of underpants. :wink:

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

This year i have conquered my nemesis, and i'm happy to report that it has been a good year for the little green butterfly that has taken up so much of my time in previous years. Still, so fresh on the Dorset heaths, i am in awe of this little creature.

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

He likes you too, Zonda.

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

And i like you mate. :D

Cheers,,, Zonda.

Return to “Personal Diaries”