Sites for non-drivers

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
mellyboots

Sites for non-drivers

Post by mellyboots »

Hi all,

I live in Worcester and do not drive. Can anyone advise me of good sites I can get to by public transport?

I did Rodborough Common last week which is a doddle, as its a short distance from Stroud train station. Saw my first Small Heath of the year (no DofBs :( ).

Also, obviously can get to Malvern.,,but any other advice is welcomed.

Thanks
Neil Freeman

Re: Sites for non-drivers

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi,

If you can get to Cheltenham, I would recommend Prestbury Hill. There are directions to get there by public transport on the link below.

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/t ... shire.html

I went there yesterday (albeit by car) and despite a stiff breeze managed to see Dukes, Dingy Skippers, and Small Heaths in good numbers. Also a couple of Small Blues and Green Hairstreaks as well as the usual Speckled Wood, Orange Tips, various Whites and a Red Admiral.

Cheers,

Neil.
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Hi Mellyboots,

I'm also a non-driver (located in Birmingham) .There are many excellent places that you can get to from Worcester which are excellent for butterfly watching.

The top spot at this time of year I would say is the Wyre Forest (train to Kidderminster followed by bus to Buttonoak). See my trip report under "personal diaries" for comments.

There's a bus which takes you east to Grafton which is well known for its Brown Hairstreaks later in the year - this species is present all the way from Worcester to Redditch.

Further afield, Oxford is pretty interesting (Black Hairstreak), and you might be able to get a bus to the Bredon Hill or Broadstairs areas. Both of these are recommended in summer.

You are probably familiar with Perry Wood and Nunnery Wood which have White Letter and Purple Hairstreaks reported, although I have not seen these in Worcester personally.

I'm sure there are many butterflies waiting around in forgotten corners of Worcestershire for you - keep us posted with what you find! :)

Alexander
Last edited by m_galathea on Thu May 05, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hartslock and Lardon Chase, chalk downland sites about 20 minutes walk from Goring & Streatley station.

Collard Hill can be done by public transport - buses stop at the entrance to the site - but it is a very long way from the rail network.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Probably no use to you what so ever, but the Hants & IOW BC owned Magdalen Hill Down, is easy to travel to by train. On the Map ( link bellow ) the entrance, if you walking from Winchester Train Station, is on the Alresford road just after it crosses the M3.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51 ... 77162&z=14

Regards Gruditch
Glostopcat

Post by Glostopcat »

Cranham Common, Buckholt woods and Painswick Beacon are also easily accessible by public transport. You could take the no46 bus from Cheltenham promenade to Stroud/Nailsworth, the bus drops you off within easy walking distance of all these locations. If you visit Cheltenham, Leckhampton Hill is also worth a visit particularly from mid to late June onwards when species such as marbled white, ringlets, small heath, meadow browns, burnet moths and common blues will be around in great numbers.
mellyboots

Post by mellyboots »

Thanks everybody,

Its only my 3rd butterfly season, so I am aiming to see as many 'local' butterflies as possible, but its good to know about the further out places too.

Thanks Alexander for the Wyre Forest tip, I know the Wyre Forest well, but had only been somebodys passenger and had not been able to track down decent public transport details.

For anyone ever regularly in Worcester, I have to say Cherry Orchard Nature reserve is a hidden gem, 10 mins from the city centre and teeming with butterflies. Saw the white-letter hairstreak there last summer.

Melly
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

Some really good suggestions here, I'm in Cheltenham and a non driver so all of these are good for me too.

Further afield I went to the IOW last weekend completely on public transport to see Glanvilles, that was a surprisingly easy trip.

Return to “Sites”