Flash synchronisation

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
SimonRasch

Flash synchronisation

Post by SimonRasch »

I was just wondering if it is possible to synchronise a flash with a Canon 60d when it is in aperture prioity mode as I have been unable to so far. There are no problems in any other settings and it is a canon flash? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
dilettante

Re: Flash synchronisation

Post by dilettante »

I'm not a Canon shooter, but:

Are you talking on- or off-camera flash? If off-camera using wireless signalling, I understand it won't do high speed sync (HSS), so if your aperture is wide enough that HSS is required (shutter speed faster than 1/250s for the 60D, I think), it presumably won't work.

edit: If the above is right, you should see the same problem in Shutter priority if you set the shutter faster than 1/250s
Bill S

Re: Flash synchronisation

Post by Bill S »

dilettante wrote:I'm not a Canon shooter, but:

Are you talking on- or off-camera flash? If off-camera using wireless signalling, I understand it won't do high speed sync (HSS), so if your aperture is wide enough that HSS is required (shutter speed faster than 1/250s for the 60D, I think), it presumably won't work.

edit: If the above is right, you should see the same problem in Shutter priority if you set the shutter faster than 1/250s
For someone that isn't a Canon shooter I think you have it spot on for the off camera situation. On camera you need to set your flash to H speed sync mode and then it will cope with shutter speeds above 1/250th.

Bill

Return to “Photography”