May 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

May 2011

Post by David M »

I've just had one of those wonderful, unexpected butterflying days today at a location just 12 or 13 miles down the road from Abergavenny.

I visited Ewyas Harold Common three times last summer, and had scoffed upon reading the welcome board at the entrance to the site which depicts a Pearl-Bordered Fritillary.

Well, I'm not scoffing now, as I've seen dozens and dozens of these insects this afternoon, and in fairly dull and windy conditions to boot.

I had toyed with the idea of not going there today, as Abergavenny was wet till 7am and then overcast, windy and cool thereafter. When the cloud cover started to lift I decided to give it a go, though the temperature was only 16C when I left at 12.45pm.

I arrived on site just after 1300hrs and stayed till 1615. In that time I counted 96 Pearl Bordered Fritillaries, mainly in the coppiced areas on the south side of the Common, but there were odd individuals turning up all over the site, even on the north facing heathland.

With conditions being cool and cloudy, the PBFs were fairly inactive, only fluttering just above ground level before alighting on either bracken, bugle or dandelion. In fact, in the areas where the PBF populations were at their most dense, I had to be careful to watch where I was putting my feet in case I trod on any!

On Good Friday I was pretty ecstatic to find 2-3 dozen of these butterflies, mainly centred on one hotspot contained in a decent sized wood. However, I would recommend Ewyas Harold as a far better place to see them - they're more widely dispersed across the site (though still favouring the south facing clearings). What's more, Ewyas Harold is a more diverse habitat and doesn't suffer from the myriads of biting flies that beset Haugh Wood so much.

Ewyas Harold also claims to harbour Grizzled Skippers, Green Hairstreaks and Wood Whites. I DID see 5 Grizzled Skippers in a rather small area of the Common as well as a couple more elsewhere (one fluttering at the top of gorse bushes which I thought was unusual).

I didn't see Wood Whites, nor Green Hairstreaks (though given the extent of the scrubby gorse on the heaths I can well believe they flourish here - I hope to return in a couple of weeks to check it out).

I'll post some photos when I return home on Tuesday (and believe me, I actually got BORED snapping PBFs today so numerous and torpid were they).

Meanwhile the site reference is: http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/t ... shire.html

The species and numbers count:

1. Pearl Bordered Fritillary 96 (on a warm, sunny day I would expect 200+)
2. Common Blue 9
3. Grizzled Skipper 7
4. Green Veined White 5
5. Small Heath 5
6. Speckled Wood 4
7. Small Copper 3
8. Small White 2
9. Red Admiral 1
10. Large White 1

There were no Orange Tips !!
Last edited by David M on Sun May 01, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Senior

Re: May 2011

Post by Mark Senior »

Went on a day out to Castle Hill NR , Woodingdean , Brighton today . A rather underrated Chalk Downland Valley site .
Seen
Dingy Skippers everywhere circa 150
Grizzled Skippers x 11
Small Copper x 10
Peacock x 5
Small Heath x 5
Brown Argus x 3
Common Blue x 2
Green Hairstreak x 2
Speckled Wood x 2
Wall Brown x 1
Small Tortoiseshell x 1
Unidentified Whites a few
Cinnabar Moth x 1
Burnet Companion Moth ( I think ) x 1
Unidentified tiny damselfly x 1
Willrow

Haugh Woods, Herefordshire.

Post by Willrow »

Had to decide on which site to visit yesterday morning - Haugh Woods (Herefordshire) or Ewyas Harold Common (Near Abergavenny) - Haugh Woods won, but it probably put an extra 40 miles on my journey, and I had to pass Ewyas Harold to get there! My main reason for deciding on Haugh Woods was the Wood White, I've found this quite a reliable place for this species in the past, I was'nt to be disappointed on this occasion either. Arriving about 10am the temperature was 15c and the wind was behaving itself. I decided on a circuit of the South Trail, taking the furthest loop is about 2 miles, but is probably the best place to see Wood White without taking to the woodland paths, it's also usually good for my other target species Pearl-bordered Fritillary. On both species I was more than pleased, Wood White were quite plentiful, must have seen in excess of 50, very often in pairs. Pearl-bordered Frits were highly evident, I gave up the count at around 100 or so, by lunchtime the temperature had hit 21c so I reckon that this was almost optimum conditions for both species.

Lots of the 'other' Whites out and about, Speckled Wood in very healthy numbers too. Orange-tip are really tailing off now after a very early start to their season. Several rather fresh looking Peacock enjoying the sunshine too. The woods seemed to be alive with Speckled Yellow moths, but the heat made them very active and a good photo seemed a tough ask, they are always perky insects, and this was a big hatch, the biggest I can ever remember anywhere in fact.

I've just read the report above on Ewyas Harold Common by DavidM, it looks as if Pearl-bordered Fritillary are having a really productive year in Herefordshire, it would be fabulous to see them come over the border into the adjoining county of Gwent/Monmouthshire from where they've been absent for many years. April has been the best ever, hope the Summer continues in the same vein, but we do need a drop of rain too, the essential larval food plants will suffer without some soon - just hope it does'nt decide to rain too much though :roll:

Can recommend a visit to Haugh (pronounced Hoff) Woods, it's at it's Spring best right now, as are its wonderful butterflies...a real credit to Forestry Enterprise and Butterfly Conservation working together.
Attachments
Loads of Speckled Yellow are on the wing right now.
Loads of Speckled Yellow are on the wing right now.
Pearl-bordered Fritillary are viewed from the South Trail quite easily.
Pearl-bordered Fritillary are viewed from the South Trail quite easily.
Wood White seemed to be quite plentiful.
Wood White seemed to be quite plentiful.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

David M wrote:Well done on the Speckled Yellow moth, willrow. I've tried several times to snap them but have never hit the shutter in time.

Glad to hear Wood Whites were out in abundance. There were none at Ewyas Harold which makes me wonder whether they exist there at all - still, Grizzled Skippers are a more than adequate substitute.

Hope the flies weren't as persistent as they were on Good Friday.

PS: There must have been a 'Maginot Line' between Ewyas Harold and Haugh Wood from a weather perspective. It was cloudy all morning to the north of Abergavenny and the sun only came out in earnest about 3pm (and even then it retreated about 3.45). Max temps were 18C at the very best, so you did well to see 21C fewer than 20 miles further up.
Cheers David,

I was at Haugh Woods yesterday, can't imagine there being much difference between Ewyas Harold Common and Haugh Woods today though judging from the weather forecast. These blustery winds are keeping most butterflies down - but hopefully not out of sight! On Friday at Aberbargoed Grasslands it was miserably cold at 11am, the temperature was a measly 9c.

Incidentally the midges, flies and other assorted biters of Haugh Woods had a day off yesterday (well almost), they can as you probably know to your cost be real buggers...literally!

Best Wishes,

Bill :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Guys
Thought you might like to know that despite cool, windy conditions there were about a dozen Glanville Fritillaries at Wheelers Bay today.
Attachments
DSC04373.JPG
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

I had an excellent day yesterday and thanks to all at ukbutterflies who have recently provided site information.

I was fifty/fifty about driving down from Wetherby, as the forecasts all showed the south to be cloudier, plus I was conscious of the cool breeze. I was glad I did.

I started at Bison Hill where I quickly connected with Dingy Skipper, Green Hairstreak, Grizzled Skipper, and then my target species - Duke. I saw at least three, (I never try and count butterflies) often basking on the path. I was surprised how variable they were with some quite brown and others quite orangey. A lovely place with plenty of warbler song - my first Lesser Whitethroat of the year.

It was then on to Chiddingford. I got a bit lost and entered the Oaken Wood complex at Tudgey Wood, (something like that)! Saw some nice Brimstone and lots of the yellow and black moth referred to in one of the recent posts - Speckled Yellow I think. Also Speckled Wood, Orange Tip and Small Heath but no Wood White. Lots of Nightingale still singing at midday, plus other warblers and Cuckoo. A Jay also heard. Eventually I found Oaken Wood and followed the trail. They were quite localised but eventually I found a lot of Wood White - brilliant!

Not sure if they were out or not, I decided to try Denbies for Adonis Blue. I immediately connected with Grizzled and Dingy Skipper, plus Common Blue, Small Heath and Green Hairstreak but no Adonis. I then tried further down the hill and finally found several including a female. Lots of Cinnabar (I think) out as well. More warblers here including Whitethroat. A Small Copper just as I was leaving.

Very enjoyable. It's Dorset next for me with Marsh Frit, Small Blue and Glanville Frit the targets. Tha plan was to go 14/15th, but my only concern is whether the Marsh Frits. will still be flying, with them all being out now. However, if I go 7/8th am I bit early for Small Blue?

Thanks again.

Edit - on reflection I think it was Five or Six-Spot Burnet not Cinnabar.
Last edited by Lawts on Mon May 02, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Wilrow:
Can recommend a visit to Haugh (pronounced Hoff) Woods....I decided on a circuit of the South Trail, taking the furthest loop is about 2 miles
As you might know, I had similar success at Haugh Wood last week. The south green trail is good but you can reach the PB Frit hotspot much quicker but following in reversed the return route on the green trail and cut out a long loop. Less than 2 kilometres each way.

So from car park, head south initially following the green trail. After a few hundred metres, DON'T turn left at the fork as indicated by the green posts but take the RIGHT fork.

Carry on through the wood (Wood Whites here) for almost a kilometre. At an open junction (with a bench on your right) turn left. After another few hundred metres you reached point 6 on the green trail - so in other words you have cut out a loop. There is a convenient seat here but even I wasn't so tired as to need it.

Turn right at the seat (you are now heading northwest) and you are in PB Frit territory. The real hotspot is where the track kinks left after 200 metres. But another prime habitat (advice from the Ranger) is the south-facing slope on your left accessed between the seat and that hotspot but this is quite a large area to explore and the concentration of PBFs would be less.

Jack
Piers

Post by Piers »

Lawts wrote: However, if I go 7/8th am I bit early for Small Blue?
First small blue are already out and about in Dorset and Wilts.

Felix.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Small Blue are out at Prestbury Hill as well. I saw a couple today along with good numbers of Duke of Burgundy and Dingy Skipper and a couple of Green Hairstreak.
Took load of photos that I need to sort through. I think a load will be blurry due to the wind that was blowing most of the time.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Small Blue will definitely be out in southern England; they were out in force last Monday near Swansea, S. Wales.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hot news...the island of Tiree has just had it's first record of Orange-tip this afternoon! (re Birdguides) :D
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
jenks

Post by jenks »

Haugh Wood, South Butterfly trail, Monday 2/5/11, 12.00 to 15.00.
Wood White 20+, Pearl Bordered Fritillary 30+, Dingy Skipper 1, Large White 1, plus numerous Small White, Gr-veined White, Orange Tip & Speckled Wood, and the Speckled Yellow moth. Did the shorter trail but unlike Jack I was cream-crackered when I got back to the car ! My excuse is that I had spent the morning walking to the top of the mountainside above Cwm Cadlan, Brecon Beacons, in a force 5 gale, to view 2 Dotterel. Too windy to keep a tripod steady but amazingly 1 of the birds came to investigate the whirring noise of a camera shutter being held by a recumbent photographer ! Down to 4-5 feet !

What an amazing day, shame about Cardiff City`s performance !
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Jack Harrison wrote:Wilrow:
Can recommend a visit to Haugh (pronounced Hoff) Woods....I decided on a circuit of the South Trail, taking the furthest loop is about 2 miles
As you might know, I had similar success at Haugh Wood last week. The south green trail is good but you can reach the PB Frit hotspot much quicker but following in reversed the return route on the green trail and cut out a long loop. Less than 2 kilometres each way.

So from car park, head south initially following the green trail. After a few hundred metres, DON'T turn left at the fork as indicated by the green posts but take the RIGHT fork.

Carry on through the wood (Wood Whites here) for almost a kilometre. At an open junction (with a bench on your right) turn left. After another few hundred metres you reached point 6 on the green trail - so in other words you have cut out a loop. There is a convenient seat here but even I wasn't so tired as to need it.

Turn right at the seat (you are now heading northwest) and you are in PB Frit territory. The real hotspot is where the track kinks left after 200 metres. But another prime habitat (advice from the Ranger) is the south-facing slope on your left accessed between the seat and that hotspot but this is quite a large area to explore and the concentration of PBFs would be less.

Jack
Thanks Jack,

Your advice is sound if you intend heading especially for the Pearl-bordered Frits 'Hotspot', but I've been doing 'the loop' for a few years now, I guess enjoyable old habit's die hard!

That seat was put there especially for my morning coffee break - you don't have to be tired to use it :wink:

Now is a great time for anyone wishing to visit Haugh Woods for both the PBF's and Wood White, and if you do you can't go far wrong by following Jacks (or David M's earlier) advice.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Though the weather was more suited to the dozens of Kite-flyers, I visited Dunstable Downs and Bison Hill this afternoon. In common with others, I soon encountered numerous Grizzled Skippers, plus several Green Hairstreaks (all at gound level), Dingy Skippers and Dukes. One or two Orange Tips whistled by, looking completely out of control in the wind, and a rare sheltered spot was host to a battered Small Tortoiseshell and a gleaming Small Copper.

Dave
Attachments
SC1 resized.jpg
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

jenks wrote:Haugh Wood, South Butterfly trail, Monday 2/5/11, 12.00 to 15.00.
Wood White 20+, Pearl Bordered Fritillary 30+, Dingy Skipper 1, Large White 1, plus numerous Small White, Gr-veined White, Orange Tip & Speckled Wood, and the Speckled Yellow moth. Did the shorter trail but unlike Jack I was cream-crackered when I got back to the car ! My excuse is that I had spent the morning walking to the top of the mountainside above Cwm Cadlan, Brecon Beacons, in a force 5 gale, to view 2 Dotterel. Too windy to keep a tripod steady but amazingly 1 of the birds came to investigate the whirring noise of a camera shutter being held by a recumbent photographer ! Down to 4-5 feet !

What an amazing day, shame about Cardiff City`s performance !
Glad you had a good visit to Haugh Woods today Jenks. I'll bet those are the same pair of Dotterel that was on top of the Blorenge (in Gwent) two years ago, they waited until I had lugged my gear, including a heavyweight Uniloc tripod up to get some shots of them and when I was within 20 feet scarpered off north, and just to rub salt into the wound, the local Brecon Beacons National Park warden, showed me some superb photos he had 'easily' managed on his pocket digi-cam minutes earlier...I've never quite felt the same way about Dotterels since...and they deserve that stupid name too... :evil:

Looks like Cardiff City V Swansea City in the play off final then... :lol:

Cheers,

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Not a great photo but might give you the idea - Wood Whites mud puddling today. Haven't seen this before. Is it usual behaviour from this species?
Attachments
DSC04619c.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

It's a terrific picture! If the dry weather continues, I would expect to see this more and more, from all sorts of species.

Dave
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks Dave. It was quite extraordinary as there were another 2 on the outskirts that wouldn't join the main group and I just haven't seen this many WW gather together before.

Pauline
Susie

Post by Susie »

Wow, great photo! :D
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

Sandra and I went to Sywell Wood in Northants yesterday 1-5-11 to see Wood White. This was our first visit to this site and it is easy to get to and well worth a visit. Got there fairly early so a lot of the site was in shade but we did see 4 Wood White perched up fairly quickly. Whilst sunny it was very windy. When full sun covered the site, we saw at least 18 Wood White and it still amazes me how delicate they are. Also saw 4 Orange tips, 4 Green Veined White, a Holly Blue and 2 Peacocks, also saw a Cuckoo and heard Nightingale and Grasshopper Warbler.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sas999/567 ... hotostream

Today 2-5-11 we made the long trek to Hod Hill, again our first visit to this site, an amazing place for sure but we had little sun whilst we were there and it was very very windy. Made our way to the South West end of the Fort where the wind was a little lighter. Saw 2 Marsh Frit perching out of the wind, once it warmed up a bit then they started to show themselves but due to the weather there was little flying. We saw over 25 during the day and if it had been sunny the numbers would have been a lot higher, also saw 3 Marsh caterpillars, 9 Dingy Skipper, 2 Brown Argus, 4 Grizzled Skipper, 1 Small Blue, 2 Small copper, 4 Common Blue and 3 Small heath.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sas999/568 ... otostream/

Great place to visit

Kevin and Sandra

Return to “Sightings”