March 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
Butterflymax

Re: March 2011

Post by Butterflymax »

Had my first chance to go hunting for butterflies yesterday afternoon, and happily had my first sightings of the year. Walking along Ashlawn Cutting I saw about 8 x Peacocks, 6 x Commas and 4 x Small Tortoiseshells. There were a number of butterflies on the wing, but they were probably the same three species I just mentioned. I had hoped there might have been some Brimstones or Orange Tips about, but none were seen. Hopefully I'll get to see a Green Hairstreak or a Marbled White this year!

Max.
Fen Marshall

Post by Fen Marshall »

Just got back from Hidcote Manor garden where we saw a Holly Blue while we were looking at a Brimstone. Got a reasonable photo in spite of my surprise!
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

In my recording patch in SW Surrey I have seen more Brimstones this month than I saw in the whole of last year. I haven't a clue what this signifies; I just hope that all other species will be up by a similar margin.
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

Butterflymax wrote:Had my first chance to go hunting for butterflies yesterday afternoon, and happily had my first sightings of the year. Walking along Ashlawn Cutting I saw about 8 x Peacocks, 6 x Commas and 4 x Small Tortoiseshells. There were a number of butterflies on the wing, but they were probably the same three species I just mentioned. I had hoped there might have been some Brimstones or Orange Tips about, but none were seen. Hopefully I'll get to see a Green Hairstreak or a Marbled Whites this year!

Max.
Back in 2004 I saw 2 male Orange Tips there on 20th June! Always saw plenty of Marbled Whites in their season there (best time seems to be the last week in June) but never a Green Hairstreak When I worked on the railway I used to visit a small triangle of land just across the west coast mainline from the Ashlawn Cutting, it lies to the southern side of the old branch line to Peterborough, it was always good for Common Blues, Skippers etc, there may be access to it from the road.
marmari

Post by marmari »

it was another glorious day here on the Isle of Wight and I was drawn back to the location of the Glanville Fritillary larva webs at Shippards Chine.
On the way i stopped at the View car Park at the foot of Afton Down,excellent for small blues.green hairstreaks,grizzled and dingy skippers ,plus other downland butterflies.Of course the only one to be seen was a peacock enjoying a very sunny spot.
There seemed to be lots of activity with the Glanville caterpillars,happily munching on their foodplant.This was particularly evident where the webs were on a southwest facing bank at the top of the cliff.
They were not the only ones making the most of the warm but at times hazy sunshine.On the beach below many early visitors,and locals, were strolling along the shore and also settled on the sand behind their windbreaks.However i did not notice anyone venturing into the sea.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Excellent photos, Peter! The larvae seem pretty advanced to me; the second shot seems to show larvae of late-instar larvae!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
marmari

Post by marmari »

Yes,it was noticeable to me that some webs had larger caterpillars ,whereas several webs contained much smaller occupants.
Last edited by marmari on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Hazy sunshine and 13C in Swansea so I spent an hour or so walking down beside the River Tawe. I think butterflies have been spoiled by the recent 16C temperatures as all I saw today were 4 Peacocks, 3 Tortoiseshells and a solitary Comma. There were, however, several splendid clumps of Wood Anemone near the riverside.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

There have been lots of reports of Orange Tips so far on UKB, with the first being from Susie on 23rd March in Sussex. (The BC website shows two sightings on 22nd March). I saw my first at one of my old sites (Broadfield Pond, Crawley, Sussex) yesterday 28th March, this being my earliest ever sighting.
Male Orange Tip
Male Orange Tip
Spring has arrived
Spring has arrived
Also seen were 2 Peacocks and 3 Commas. One Comma was observed egglaying.
Comma Egg
Comma Egg
I also located 2 Brown Hairstreak eggs on one of the Prunus species growing on this site.
Unfortunately further sightings for March are likely to be curtailed by the weather but this should keep me going for a bit.

Vince
Last edited by Vince Massimo on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marmari

Post by marmari »

What a handsome Orange Tip and excellent photos.
I am very envious of all who have seen one this year.Weather has turned dismal here so i must wait to find one.
Anyway i have this winter created a wildlfe pond with a somewhat small bog garden and planted among other things some cuckoo flower.So I am hopeful that they will come and pay me a visit again this season and hang around for a while..
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely photos Vince :D

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Nice shots of the OT, Vince; nice to see them out - still waiting here...
I did see my first Small White in the Cemetery today....
SmW_First_low_MRC_29th_March_2011.jpg
...also played peek-a-boo with a Brimstone...
Peek-a-boo_BR_high_MRC_29th_March_2011.jpg
:)
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Nice one Nick.

Your Small White should be careful though, he could be arrested for that....

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
David M

Post by David M »

Orange Tips are out, but near me the Cuckoo-flower is a good 7-10 days from even beginning to bloom. Looks like I'll have to wait till April to see my first, as from tonight things are supposed to take a nosedive weatherwise.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Here in Somerset, Small Tortoiseshell, Brimstone and Comma are well out; Peacock has emerged, but in lower numbers than usual so far (they were scarce last summer as I remember). As yet, I have seen no sign of any non-hibernators.

There are still Brown Hairstreak eggs to be found in the hedges. I found about ten within the last week, in a known area for the species, just to the south of Somerton. The Somerset population has a strange distribution, apparently restricted by altitude, not being present on the hills (Quantocks, Exmoor or Mendips) or on the Levels, but being present at intermediate heights. Most likely the lower limit, at least, is a reflection of land use (I have noticed very little blackthorn on the Levels).

I was on the Isle of Wight at the weekend and took the opportunity to look for the Large Tortoiseshell at Woodhouse Copse. I did not find it, and nor did Marmari whom I met in the wood and who had been looking for the butterfly for a good deal longer. Perhaps the LT considers Matthew Oates twitchable, and not me!

The notice-board at Walter's Copse indicates that Orange-tip is out on the island, though I did not see it myself.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Lee Hurrell wrote:....Your Small White should be careful though, he could be arrested for that....
Cheers
Lee
...I think he is already on some register... :shock:
N
Susie

Post by Susie »

Lee Hurrell wrote:Nice one Nick.

Your Small White should be careful though, he could be arrested for that....

Cheers

Lee
That made me laugh! :)

Great photos.

And I simply love your OT photos Vince. Superb!

I am a bit narked that I didn't see my OT a day or two earlier, but next year I now know where to look!! 2012 OTs look out, I have you in my sights and I know where you live! :twisted:
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks for all your comments everyone. I was lucky that the conditions were in my favour. For Orange Tips you need just enough cloud to slow them down and just enough sun to get them to open their wings. They are almost as difficult to photograph as Small Whites (well done Nick).

Here is one more from the same batch. (I took loads :mrgreen: )
Male Orange Tip 28-3-11
Male Orange Tip 28-3-11
Vince
Last edited by Vince Massimo on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Vince Massimo wrote:Thanks for all your comments everyone. I was lucky that the conditions were in my favour. Just enough cloud to slow them down and just enough sun to get them to open their wings. They are almost as difficult to photograph as Small Whites (well done Nick).
Here is one more from the same batch. (I took loads :mrgreen: )
Vince
Ditto, Vince - Hazy sun and just when it looked like it would fly away again, a cloud went over the sun and it settled, again. I followed, waiting to pounce with camera in hand...(I took a few as well :wink: )
SmW_First_1a_low_MRC_29th_March_2011.jpg
NickB

Post by NickB »

It was just emerged, I think. Although I did not get a good shot, the undersides were almost pale lemon yellow, so at first glance, from a distance it resembled a female Brimstone in flight from the colour - very delicate.
N

Return to “Sightings”