Maybe
11%

Total votes: 18

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Is this a "late" season?

Post by Pete Eeles »

Messages from various folk are suggesting that this is a "late" season, with adults being later than usual to emerge.

What say ye?
Adrian Hoskins

Normal season, i.e. later than last year

Post by Adrian Hoskins »

:? :? It's difficult to tell. Red Admirals were about in January and early February, Peacocks and Brimstones are roughly on time, and Commas a little bit late. My guess is that the spring emerging species will appear at the "normal" time, i.e. later than the last couple of years, which have been early seasons. The summer species always catch up and come out pretty much at the same time each year. So I guess I'll have to vote "No" on that basis.

Adrian
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I dont know if I am just unlucky, but I have yet to see a butterfly this year. Usually see a small tortoiseshell by now.

I am up north so I would imagine that sightings would be somewhat later here than further south.

(not to mention weather has been terrible here all march)
Bug hunter

Things as normal

Post by Bug hunter »

Would have to say that things are pretty normal with sightings of a Comma, a Peacock, 2 Red Admirals, 2 Small Tortoiseshells (one very battered and one in excellent condition), and 15+ Brimstones near the end of March.

Happy hunting

Tom
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Some info. from the Upper Thames branch, based on the number of Brown Hairstreak larvae that have hatched, would suggest that the season is 2 weeks later than last year. Or, as their website suggests, perhaps we're back to normal :)

See http://www.upperthamesbutterflies.co.uk ... bs2004.htm.

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “Sightings”