Permit needed at Gait Barrows?

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
David Tipping

Permit needed at Gait Barrows?

Post by David Tipping »

I've made a couple of visits to Gait Barrows recently, but have subseqently looked at the English Nature website, which states that access is by permit only. There were no notices to this effect at either of the entrances I used, except in relation to parking cars. Quite a few other visitors were wandering around and I would be very surprised if I was the only one without a permit.
I would be interested to hear from any regulars at Gait Barrows who can clarify the situation.
DJT
e.garnett

permit

Post by e.garnett »

hi dave

ive been there many times in the spring in a vein attempt to get the dukes it rained so much all i got was a cold i believe the permit relates to parking in the car park on the site i was never approached infact before i went i was asking the rangers over the phone were the dukes on the wing and i was never asked about a permit i park of the road and walk in have never had a problem

best

ereic
richard

Post by richard »

I went on Saturday. There was only one car parked when I arrived and several when I left. All had permits displayed on the dashboard (like mine!)

I phoned for a permit last Monday and it arrived on Wednesday. No questions, no charge. Valid for a year.

Richard
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Thanks for your replies. I've e-mailed English Nature but am still awaiting a response. The wording on their website does make it sound like a permit is required simply to walk round the site, though I suspect it probably only applies to use of the car parks. I'll make another posting if and when I find out.
DJT
BRIAN

Post by BRIAN »

Hi Richard
do you still have a telephone number for the warden at gait barrow?, I wish to visit later this year so I think I need a permit
many thanks
richard

Post by richard »

I phoned English Nature - 01539 531 604.

Hope that number is ok.

Richard
sidwemn

Post by sidwemn »

Hi everyone.

I was at Gait Barrow on Saturday 5th May. There was a sign posted on the gate stating that a permit was required to use the car park. I think it is acceptable to park on the road and walk in. There is a pull in suitable for about three cars 100 yards beyond the entrance gate.

If you want to see Dukes, the best place is along Yew Trail at post 5. Take the first track on the left. There were at least 8 on the wing. We also saw about 12 PB Fritillaries.

Good luck if you try

Martyn

Return to “Sites”