March 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: March 2011

Post by David M »

Sussex Kipper wrote:I agree - lovely shot Vince. The design of the Brimstone wing is one of nature's many marvels... and all-too-easy to overlook. Pretty colour too. :D
Neil
Absolutely. That copper coloured vein that extends from the forewing to the thorax is one of nature's great wonders, as are the abbreviated, rust coloured antennae. Brimstones, for all their relative ubiquity, are amongst the most attractive of butterflies.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

We all agree that we love Brimstones then :D, but let's not forget Neil's classic Brimstone photo in March 2009 where he captures the essence of Spring.
See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2987&start=20
You can also see a photo of a male Powdered Brimstone in the Overseas sub-album of my photo gallery. They are definately one of my favourite butterflies, but are just edged-out by male Orange Tips in my book. When my Orange Tip pupae hatch, in about 4 weeks time, I will be posting a set of photos along the same lines as my Green-veined White and Small White series.

Vince
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

First Small Tortoiseshell of the year in the car park at work in Ashford in Kent yesterday harassing a bumble bee :)
David M

Post by David M »

Saw my 4th Small Tortoiseshell of the year fluttering around a parked car early this afternoon. Sunny and 13C here in Swansea; a lovely day.
marmari

Post by marmari »

Well,I was mowing the grass for the first time this year and had a peacock butterfly for company!
A warm sunny afternoon in Freshwater on the isle of Wight today after a very dull and dismal morning.
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

Small White in the royal terrace gardens (rock wall) at Torquay this afternoon.
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Hi all,

What a day to have off from work!! Beautiful sunny & warm day with 90% sun here at Par, Cornwall. Temperature 18oc 64of. Visited Pontsmill Woods a couple of miles away at 12:00 noon & saw Roger Lane (Cornwall Butterfly migration officer) & had 20+ sightings of Brimstones which was probably 6+ males & a pale female; 3 or 4 Peacocks, 2 x Commas (including a slightly weak flying Comma that we saw a Great Tit swoop on it & chew it up - body first - & have it for it's lunch!). Also saw our earliest ever Small White (male) probably taking it's maiden flight after emerging in the morning. This could be the first sighting of the Small White in Britain this year!! Did keep an eye out for an early Holly Blue but no sign as yet but I'm sure they will be on the wing within the next week!
Cheers all...........Lee Slaughter (Cornwall).
David M

Post by David M »

It was so pleasant at lunchtime today that I took a half hour walk round the nature reserve a short distance away from work. I saw three Tortoiseshells and what looked like an airborne Comma. Unfortunately the latter didn't settle so I can't be certain.

Since then though it has become overcast and light rain has just started falling.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Took my Sami to a local countryside park on the hunt for Water Voles. We saw footprints, runs and several larders but the closest we came to the critters was a splash and ripples. Anyhoo...that's when I spotted a nibbled Common Sorrel leaf, a quick check of the underside revealed our first ever Small Copper larva, still hunched up on its overwintering silken pad. Pale green, pinky purple borders and almost a centimetre long - which was bigger than I expected. Also had Purple Hairstreak eggs on oak but 3 hours searching elm twigs failed to add WLH egg to the list. Again. 100s of Coleophora cases though and a few weird scale insects. Duetting Little Owls finished off a lovely walk.

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
geoff

Post by geoff »

Down on the allottment, Tuesday this week, was very pleased to see a Peacock, then a Tortoiseshell, then a Brimstone, all within about 5 minutes of each other. Then , a short while later, up popped a Black Redstart, a bird I've never seen before. It re-appeared in the same place yesterday , too.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Gibster ,,, we all know Sami is your girlfriend. The way you refer to her is however how someone refers to their 10 yr old daughter. Not a problem with me,,, is it with her? None of my business tell me to get lost. From a married man,,, Zonda.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Gibster wrote:Anyhoo...that's when I spotted a nibbled Common Sorrel leaf, a quick check of the underside revealed our first ever Small Copper larva, still hunched up on its overwintering silken pad. Pale green, pinky purple borders and almost a centimetre long - which was bigger than I expected.
Great spot. Any pictures?

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Zonda wrote:Gibster ,,, we all know Sami is your girlfriend. The way you refer to her is however how someone refers to their 10 yr old daughter. Not a problem with me,,, is it with her? None of my business tell me to get lost.
My original quote was "Took my girlfriend to see Water Voles" to which Sam replied, "C'mon, they've heard of me. Just put Sami." So I changed it to "Took Sami to see Water Voles" except, as a typo, I omitted to delete the word "my". So if it came across that I molly-coddle or own her, or see her as an accessory or some such, then please disregard that notion and accept my apology for giving that impression.

In the world of natural history I know more than Sam does. In almost every other facet of life she is my better. I suspect I'd quickly earn myself a black eye if I treated her as a subordinate or lesser being.

No hard feelings, mate. Or from Sam either. We're both still in lurve and both think you sound like a sound enough geezer. :D Guess I ought to re-read my posts before submitting them.

Cheers all

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hi Guy,

as per the rest of my pics, the Small Copper larva is an object in fuzziness exacerbated by handshake and a clear lack of knowledge of my camera. But there's some nice ones on the Species Albums! :D :D
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Seth

I spent several hours over the last two weekends looking for Water Voles at Cromford Canal in the Peak District in Derbyshire. Got some great shots as one appeared when it was raining and there were less folks about. Not enough rain to prevent me from filming.

Love Water Voles when they stop eating and look up at you. So cute.

Out of 4 days visiting I only saw the one for 30 minutes or so. Well worth the time spent and Little Grebes are great there as you can watch them swimming under water. I also missed a load of courting frogs whilst watching for voles.
Cheers Paul

Post by NickB »

Over here in Fenland, we have had cold and damp weather the last few days so no butterfly action.
Paul, know what you mean; the frogs in my pond are in full orgy mode and would show up many rugby teams with their mauling!
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
David M

Post by David M »

Yet another Tortoiseshell in the shrubbery at the back of my work building - I'm starting to get fed up of them!!
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Last week i found a large dead frog in my pond. I think the whole thing was too much for him, but whatta way to go. :shock:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

David M wrote:Yet another Tortoiseshell in the shrubbery at the back of my work building - I'm starting to get fed up of them!!
Send some up this way please. I think the weather is going to get better next week, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will soon see my first butterfly of the year.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Paul Wetton wrote:Hi Seth

I spent several hours over the last two weekends looking for Water Voles at Cromford Canal in the Peak District in Derbyshire. Got some great shots as one appeared when it was raining and there were less folks about. Not enough rain to prevent me from filming.
Hi again Paul, what's happening with your diary? Twas good fun!!! :D

Perhaps the best views I've had of Water Voles was of an individual 'caught' for research at Elmley RSPB on Sheppey, Kent. The vole swam into a trap and was caught within, ready for 'processing'. Whatever. Except it was a really hot day. The RSPB chap extracted the trap from the drainage dyke at the crack of 2pm, waved the suffering animal at a small crowd of admirers and gently threw it back into the dyke claiming some rubbish about a '10 second recovery time'. Several minutes later the vole was still floating on the surface, alive but only barely. God bless the ol' RSPB...

My advice for anybody wanting to see water voles would be to jump the electric-powered boat at Arundel WWT in Sussex (runs every 30mins and it's free once you're in) where you'll be very unlucky not to see at least 3 or 4 of them at very close range. Tis very cool, you even hear them chomping stems!

Cheers,

Gibster.

Return to “Sightings”