Trip to Buckinghamshire

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
George

Trip to Buckinghamshire

Post by George »

Hi,

I am going to the Aylesbury area in a couple of weeks (first weekend in May) and wondered if anyone has a good recommended site for Duke of Burgundy, Green Hairstreak, Dingy and Grizzled Skippers and Wood White.

I have looked at the sites possible which include Salcey Forest, Totternhoe, Twywell etc but I know from experience of looking for Brown Hairstreaks at Grafton Wood last year that just knowing that a species frequents a location is not always a guarantee of finding them! So any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi George,

Try the Upper Thames Branch of butterfly conservation:

http://www.upperthamesbutterflies.co.uk/

and click on "Good Butterfly Sites" on the right hand side... proved very useful for me when I used to visit the gf in Oxford.

I'd recommend Dancersend for Duke and the skippers, but I can't help you elsewhere!
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

Hi George
Dingy and Grizzled Skippers and Green Hairstreaks are on the wing now at Twywell and Dukes are expected any time now at Totternhoe. I suspect that you are still too early for wood whites, though.
Alex
George

Post by George »

Thanks to both of you for the info - will let you know what I find!
George

Post by George »

Thanks for the suggestions - we were able to see Duke of Burgundy (3 of them at Bison Hill) along with a Grizzled Skipper. Then at Totternhoe no Dukes (although we did meet someone who had just seen one) and a single Dingy.

Both sites had an abundance of Orange Tips and all the usual species.

Had to wait till 4 oclock on the Saturday though for the sun but is was well worth the wait!!

Thanks again.
George

Return to “Sites”