Paul

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Zonda

Re: Paul

Post by Zonda »

They look a bit like 'digiscoping' pics, but good anyway. :)

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I don't think they could be printed out with much success.
Um! I'm sure they could. But who prints nowadays in any case?

Jack

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I do myself an album every year on Photobox, a pleasure to look back on, and turning into quite a collection of memories. Also do a montage poster from each holiday... framed and in my room at work... mind you, might re-arrange that lot soon, as is too much of a conversation piece while I'm trying to get through the work. :D
Some Oak Beauty shots from today - I had never noticed that even the antennae had a pattern!! :shock:

and another manipulated image... the original had a very busy background...

so I think this has improved it :D

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Paul mentioned Photobox.

I too use Photobox but not for butterflies - just for holidays, family, etc. Very good service at reasonable prices. For example at 1050hrs yesterday I placed an order for some 80 prints 6x4.5 cms, total cost just over a tenner. They arrived this morning, all beautifully printed. I have no idea of the longevity of the prints as there is bound to be some fading if kept in the light.

I recommend Photobox.

Jack

Paul

Post by Paul »

I've been expanding my calcaerous flower patch bit again, by another few square metres. Results are as shown... hopefully will cover nicely as time, (or thyme :D ) goes on.... helping it on with some seedling Birdsfoot Trefoil, Thyme, Sanfoin, Rockrose, fescues, Kidney Vetch, Viper's Bugloss, Harebell and wild Strawberry.

Watch this space later in the year.... the ugly chicken wire is to keep the rabbits out :evil:

Paul

Post by Paul »

A couple more DSLRified images... bored without butterflies :( ....

Provencal CHB..

Adonis Blue..

:? :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

3 new moths for the year this weekend just gone, and a chance to play with the DSLR...

2187 Common Quaker Orthosia cerasi NZ202003 s1 125 f11 i400

2188 Clouded Drab Orthosia incerta NZ202003 s1 125 f11 i400

2190 Hebrew Character Orthosia gothica NZ202003 s1 125 f11 i400

lookin' good I think! :D :wink:

Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Paul
lookin' good I think!
Looking excellent I think.
f11 is giving great results - perhaps try a bit further with f13 or f14 to try to get the further antenae in focus.

I assume you are on a tripod?

ISO 400 is excellent on that camera - virtually no "noise" at all.

It looks like you will have to stock up on some more interesting looking twigs!

Only 39 sleeps.

Cheers

Roger
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks Roger... yes to tripod, and count down is moving forward apace... can't wait!!! - as the light improves I will indeed try higher f stops, and hopefully will have some idea by the time it gets to 2 sleeps :D :D :D

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I looked up the Hebrew alphabet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_alp ... e_alphabet

Which letter is the mark on the moth supposed to resemble?

Note the time of posting - a little insomnia :cry:

Jack

Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Nice shots Paul, been trying to figure out what f stop is good to get the whole subject in focus and keep background out of focus when photographing some moths, looks like from your images f11-13 looks like a good range, just got to play around until I get it right, least with moths they won't move around like active butterflies, so good to practise on.

Jack, its the Hebrew letter Nun נ same with the mark on Setaceous Hebrew Character (Xestia c-nigrum)

Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Paul

Post by Paul »

Glad I'm not the only one struggling with DSLR witchcraft :D - I stand educated as well, as I wouldn't have even thought of Jack's question, let alone the answer!!! :roll: Brilliant. :D
Dave, I think the available light to photograph in is the key.... seems a northern winter is too dark to practic much :roll: - how did I always know that anyway :lol:

Paul

Post by Paul »

Beautiful day up here today... saw my first butterfly of the year this morning at a Garden Centre, battered Small Tort indulging in feeding from ornamental heathers... then at home this pm, there was another, much better preserved, warming up on the rough ground I have...

Last night I had another Oak Beauty come to light... pristine and brilliant... seems to be year for them :D

2011 thus commences... :D :D :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

Another fine day today, very pleasant early spring day here in North Yorks. A couple of butterflies in the garden at lunchtime... evidently a different Small Tort and the first tatty Comma. :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

Peacock the other day and more STs & Commas.. moths are out in droves.. two types from last night...

Twin spot Quaker s1/160 f9.0 i160

Early Grey s1/160 f9.0 i160

:D

Paul

Post by Paul »

Another decent day after a very gloomy start. Small Torts and Comma in the garden..

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Ooh! That's a nice Comma. :D Is the Early Grey a cup of tea? :wink:

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'm a relative newbie to moths and I kid you not it took me two years to see it was EarlY Grey rather than Earl Grey!!!! :oops: :roll: Still can't wait for the season to really start... moths are OK, but not the same as our buts :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

Orange Tips, GVWs Small Torts and Peacocks in the garden today... I blew out my whites :evil: must try harder.

Paul

Post by Paul »

wonderful weather to be out & about today. The Blackcaps and Sand Martins have arrived, and our Spring butterflies are out properly now. Lots of mucking around with the camera produced.... at s1 400, f7.1 and i100...

:D oh, and my wife saw a Brimstone, we don't get that many :roll:

I did try to find our local Green Hairstreaks as well today, but with no luck... maybe tomorrow. :?

Return to “Personal Diaries”