Lee Hurrell

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Lee Hurrell

Post by millerd »

I think I've seen them on (and above) the grassy areas adjacent to the Heathrow runways and taxiways.

Dave

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Dave.

I guess the grassy areas at the airport are another field to them.

I was hoping you, Susie or Chris C would have had experience!

What a bird to see in your front garden though :D

Cheers

Lee

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Lee Hurrell wrote:I'm sure I've just seen 4-5 Skylarks in and above a tree opposite my front door.
Hiya Lee,

I very much doubt the birds were Skylarks. In all my years birding I don't think I've ever seen a Skylark in a tree, nevermind 4 or 5! Woodlarks often sing from trees and also have an amazing aerial songflight, but open heathland is their usual habitat. I saw several just two days ago on Thursley Common. So I'm a bit puzzled as to what you saw! But not Skylarks. Unless one rose up from behind the tree and gave the impression of having flown from the tree???

I'll have a ponder :)

Gibster.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Earlier today i saw a flock of 40-50 Corn Buntings, maybe that's what you spotted.

Cheers,,, Zonda.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

hi Lee,
as others have said, would be unusual for skylarks. what made you think skylarks and not starlings? waxwings maybe if they had a crest. some finches do the flying up and singing though.

Chris

Susie

Post by Susie »

I can't comment on the behaviour of skylarks, I don't know enough about them. What I do know is that there are plenty of skylarks in west London, Lee. :D The first place I ever saw them was Minet Country Park in Hayes, they were also in Yeading. I imagine there will be some around the Horsenden Hill area in Greenford too although I haven't seen them.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks all.

I saw one at first and I admit my first thought was Goldfinch but it was the wrong shape. Too big for a start plus it had pointy wings and a longish tail. Then I thought Starling but then I heard the song and I was sure. Well, more sure.

It wasn't in tree for long - I saw it hovering first, then it sort of descending into the tree singing. It was then joined by 3-4 others and then they flew off. And that was it! The tree wasn't a big tree, more like the sort you see from an overgrown hedge. I think it's an Ash if it helps.

Susie, indeed could be at Horsenden Hill, some good habitat for them there. On a separate note, our friend with Twiggy the Greyhound told me last year she had seen a Marbled White up there. I was sceptical at first until I read the Herts/Middlesex sightings page to find they do indeed live up there! Who would have thought that in west London!?

Chris, It was the behaviour (flying up and down) and the song that changed my mind from Starling.

Gibster, I think it has to at least be a possibility if they have been seen in Heathrow (no more than 10 miles) and Hayes (Minet Country Park is no more than 2 or 3 miles as the lark flies)?

Zonda, I don't think I've ever knowingly seen a Corn Bunting, but I'll look them up.

Thanks

Lee

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Zonda, according to my book, the song of the Corn Bunting is wrong for what I heard. It does say they share the same habitat as Skylarks though.

Cheers

Lee

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Sunday 27th February 2011

What a glorious morning. I had to nip to Brighton again today and drove down in lovely warm sunshine. I was hoping it would last until I was back but it wasn't to be. I drove back in torrential rain :(

So my only sighting was a bumble bee at Pease Pottage services.
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Last edited by Susie on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That's wonderful news! Well done both of you!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Susie

Post by Susie »

So when are you getting married, or is it too early to say? :D

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Congratulations Lee, Pease Pottage Services is a romantic place isn't it?

Vince

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks all, much appreciated. :D

Too early to say just yet Susie!

I was my own this week Vince, not sure I'd have got away with it at the services :lol:

Cheers

Lee

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Congratulations Lee.
Best Wishes, Neil

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Just be careful Lee, i've noticed that women keep changing their avatars. :wink:

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thank you, Neil and Zonda! :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

And hearty congratulations from me as well. I'm glad it wasn't Pease Pottage - a service area without much cachet, I feel.

Beaconsfield, on the other hand... much classier! :wink:

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

I've always felt a certain affinity with Winchester Services on the M3...lovely Burger King dining hall and the loos are always spotlessly clean :lol:
Last edited by Gibster on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Edit
Last edited by Susie on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Diaries”