February 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
tmhotten

February 2011

Post by tmhotten »

Yesterday's spring sunshine brought out my first butterfly of the year; a female brimstone flying at Farnborough, Hants. Much as I enjoyed the tropical butterflies at Wisley it is really nice to see the outdoor season starting early after such a cold winter.

Terry Hotten
David M

Re: February 2011

Post by David M »

I'm extremely envious. I've never seen a butterfly earlier than the beginning of March in this country.
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

Back in south Cheshire/north Shopshire my first sightings were usually of Small Tortoiseshells around the 20th of February, with regular sighting on any warm and sunny day from around the 10th March.
David M

Post by David M »

If the weekend after next is fine and sunny I'll be out and about myself.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Had a very brief glimpse of a Red Admiral/Peacock on Tuesday 8th near my home in Havant, Hampshire. Also reports from near Rye on the Kent/Sussex border of Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock and Comma on the same day by different people. Tomorrow is looking good for the south with blue sky, 10c and light winds forecast :)
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Going to a Butterfly recorders meeting next weekend but was supposed to be looking for Marsh Fritillary cats this week, weather wasn't up to much with rain and cool with wind, have to find a sunny day when I am free (whenever that is) but would like to see a butterfly of some sort, getting sort of deprived.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
millerd

Post by millerd »

I see from the Hampshire BC website that a Painted Lady has been spotted (on the 14th). I assume this has blown in, but I would have thought the temperature hasn't been high enough to sustain it throughout the lengthy trip it must have undertaken.

Dave
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

at last. either a peacock or red admiral over the rooftops at work (verwood Dorser) today and 2 7-spot ladybirds. spring is definitely coming :)
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Indeed. It was 11C and sunny in Swansea today and for the first time this year there was a 'smell' of spring. Saw no butterflies but I did spot my first daffodil.
felix123

Post by felix123 »

Whoo half-term! :D Hoping to see a butterfly in the week and 3 days I have+it's warm and ment to be sunny on saturday so fingers crossed! :)

From an very excited,

Felix :D :D
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

A Comma and a Small Tortoiseshell at Starcross, Devon at 1 PM today. :D
David M

Post by David M »

Just seen the BBC's weather forecast for the week. 13C on Thursday and Friday so it's not unreasonable to expect somewhere to hit 15. I reckon there may be quite a few sightings if the sun comes out for long enough.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

David M wrote: by David M » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Just seen the BBC's weather forecast for the week. 13C on Thursday and Friday
That's handy - my next days off work are Thursday and Friday. Race you to the first Brimstone!!!!! :D :D :D
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

Gibster wrote:
David M wrote: by David M » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Just seen the BBC's weather forecast for the week. 13C on Thursday and Friday
That's handy - my next days off work are Thursday and Friday. Race you to the first Brimstone!!!!! :D :D :D
Don't tease me, Gibster. I have no time off at all except for weekends for the foreseeable future. :evil:
Piers

Post by Piers »

millerd wrote:I see from the Hampshire BC website that a Painted Lady has been spotted (on the 14th). I assume this has blown in, but I would have thought the temperature hasn't been high enough to sustain it throughout the lengthy trip it must have undertaken.
So far this year in Cornwall, around seven Painted Ladies have been sighted. One was observed on the 20th of January flying straight and fast along a migratory headland at Trenarre, half a Km from the sea. It slowed to negotiate hedge, and then proceeded to fly on through a woodland.

Felix.
millerd

Post by millerd »

They are astonishing. They must have flown (with some wind assistance) all the way from southern Spain at least.

Dave
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

millerd wrote:They are astonishing. They must have flown (with some wind assistance) all the way from southern Spain at least.

Dave
Unless they are breeding in some sheltered spot near to the French coast, it only needs calm warm/mild conditions (which there have been) and 15 hours of persistant flight for them to have crossed the channel.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

A Brimstone a couple of hundred yards from my garden in SW Surrey, just nipped back for the camera, which means it will be nowhere to be seen when I get back!
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

I was pleased to see my first butterfly of the year at my local nature reserve in Chaldon, Surrey today. It was a lovely Small Tortoiseshell basking in the sunshine. Temperature was reading 14 degrees at the time.
IMG_6429-01G.jpg
It took a few goes to get a decent record shot because I had forgotten how to use the camera.

Vince
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Good work John and Vince, I was hoping someone would see some butterflies today.

Lovely photo too.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Sightings”