Lee Hurrell

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Lee Hurrell

Post by millerd »

They still seem to be spreading. I'd guess they must have started to overlap with the Red Kites from the M40 corridor (having seen both close to Maidenhead recently). I wonder if one would be interested in eating the other? A natural control measure of sorts, perhaps?

Cheers,

Dave

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I seem to remember from Autumnwatch that when they were analysing the contents of a Peregrine's nest (must have been from central London) they found bits of a Parakeet.

I've seen a Red Kite in West Drayton, which can't be far from you? It's entirely feasible, as long as they could catch them I suppose! Although I think Red Kites mainly scavenge so I'm not sure.

I wonder how far they will get around the country. Do you know how long they have been here and how long it's taken for them to get as far as they have?

Cheers

Lee

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I seem to remember from Autumnwatch that when they were analysing the contents of a Peregrine's nest (must have been from central London) they found bits of a Parakeet.
For me that's good news, as i don't think Parakeets should be allowed to spread. We could, in the end lose native tree dwelling birds as a result, (think Red Squirrel)... Bring on more Peregrines, and control these foreign escapees, and the feral pigeons. Peregrines are the way forward. :D

Cheers,,, Zonda.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Here's a link to some BBC footage about the little chaps...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Rose-r ... t#p00bgv4c

It looks as if they appeared in the late 1960s. I've read elsewhere that they were to be found originally at various points along the Thames from the Isle of Thanet up to Virginia Water, including a colony on Hampstead Heath (I saw them there not long ago). Apparently they have also colonised other European countries, including Holland and Belgium (Amsterdam has them it seems).

Amazingly, considering their noisy natures and brilliant colouration, many people round here are still not aware of them and express astonishment if you point one out.

Dave

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Many thanks for that Dave, interesting stuff.

The birds were busy in the garden today, I think the warm weather may have spurred them on a bit. We had:

At least 4 Blue Tits,
2 Great Tits
Mrs Blackbird
1 Dunnock
1 Goldcrest
1 Long Tailed Tit
1 Robin
1 Wood Pigeon

Plus Gulls and a lone Parakeet overhead. Nice to see a Long Tailed in the garden again, they haven't been in for a while. :)

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

My big garden bird watch only gave me the usual suspects today - Blue Tit, Great Tit, Robin, Dunnock, Blackbird and Wood Pigeon. You're not supposed to count those that fly over and don't land so I couldn't count the Magpies, Crows and 8 Parakeets.

It was nice and warm in the sun though so I wandered over to the cemetery. It was lovely in the sheltered spots out of the breeze. I added a Long Tailed Tit and a Song Thrush.

There are some allotments bordering the cemetery and there's a guy who keeps pigeons and also now chickens it seems. He was there buiding a coop while they pecked about his plot. Anyway, his pigeons kept flying off and swooping back to his shed, which looked lovely against the (unforecasted) blue sky.
IMG_8158 2.jpg
IMG_8160 2.jpg
IMG_8169 2.jpg
IMG_8172 2.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I visited Wisley yesterday and thought it was much better than last year. For a start there butterflies actually flying about this time, which was lovely to see in our out of season months. It was heaving, but it was a delight to see the children there enjoy it so much. The way the butterflies would fly in and around people, seemingly obvlious, was lovely to watch too.

The sun also shone for a little while too. Also, I never knew Swallowtails and Morphos actually drank (I'm assuming they were drinking of course, they might have been doing something else) from water on the wing the way Swallows do. I was mesmerised as they would sweep down to the pond, break the surface and fly off again time and time again.
IMG_8195 2.jpg
IMG_8203 2.jpg
IMG_8211 2.jpg
IMG_8215 2.jpg
There were signs of spring in the grounds too:
IMG_8257 2.jpg
IMG_8259 2.jpg
I was hoping to see the tame Robin I saw in the grounds last year but no luck this time. It seems Kipper may have found it though. Here it is from last year:
IMG_2690.jpg
As an aside, by looking at the image file names, I can see I've taken 5569 photos between last year's visit to Wisley and this year's. Blimey.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Saturday 12th February 2011

We had a rather brazen visitor today. He, (I think it was a young male), stayed for around half and hour sunbathing on the lawn and the patio.

He didn't even mind when I slowly opened the patio door, allowing a few photos.
IMG_8263 2.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

We've had a new addition to the household this week. (No baby Hurrell's yet Zonda).

A kitten was outside the front door as we left for work on Tuesday morning and tried to come inside. We didn't let it and went off as normal. It was still there when we got back but our upstairs neighbours had taken it in and fed it. (2 mackerel fillets, 4 slices of ham and 4 bowls of milk).

They were going to leave it outside again overnight and we just couldn't, so we let her (for it is a she) come indoors. Off I went to the shop and she wolfed down a pouch of whiskers and more milk. Poor thing obviously hadn't eaten in a while. Now I'm not too fond of cats (garden birds) and am even allergic to fur but I wasn't going to leave a kitten out overnight.

So she stayed the night and we put her put her outside in the morning. Sure enough, after work on Wednesday there she was waiting to come in. By this time we'd phoned the local vets and registered on a lost pet website but no-one had lost a kitten. Funny thing is she must be/have been someone's pet as she is fully house trained and knows how to use a litter tray. She maiows when she's hungry and waits by the door when she needs to do her business. So she is either lost or has been dumped I think. She has no collar and we took her to the vets yesterday morning to check for a microchip but she doesn't have one of those either. She has a lovely temperament and sleeps a lot. Perfect pet really!

She did have a face off and a swipe from Panther (a local moggy that I scare away from my bird table - likely not to be it's real name, just what I call it) resulting on a scratch on the nose as you can see below. This resulted in not going out for a couple of days and use of the litter tray but only then for number ones. (She would go out when accompanied :lol: ).

Her confidence has returned over the weekend though and she was even climbing trees today, although this was after a Goldcrest, so I will have to watch this I think!

I chose Floyd for a name before we knew she was a girl (after the outlaw, Pretty Boy) and my girlfriend after Keith, the chef. Now we know she's a girl Emily, Tilly and even Tigger have been suggested but I'm not sure - any ideas? All suggestions welcome!

Someone said this week that cats choose thier owners and it seems that couldn't be more true in this case.
IMG_8308.jpg
IMG_8312.jpg
IMG_8318.jpg
IMG_8320.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Saturday 19th February 2011

We spent a lovely afternoon in Brighton today. One thing I wanted to see was a murmuration of starlings and they didn't disappoint. No photos as I was trying to video using my old compact but they didn't come out very well so I won't post.

I'd never seen them flocking like that to roost and it was quite a sight.

Obligatory tourist photos:
IMG_8340.jpg
IMG_8339.jpg
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Monday 21st February 2011

It was unusual to see a Sparrowhawk over the centre of Ealing this morning while I was waiting for a bus. I must have caused a few funny looks as I was staring at the sky.

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Lee Hurrell wrote: I must have caused a few funny looks as I was staring at the sky
Hiya Lee,

this works even better when you're with a couple of friends. As long as you're all looking at the same (imaginary) object way up high you'll soon have loads of people also scanning the heavens with you. Point your arm up too for added effect.

Hours of endless fun :D

Gibster.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Lee Hurrell wrote:Monday 21st February 2011

It was unusual to see a Sparrowhawk over the centre of Ealing this morning while I was waiting for a bus. I must have caused a few funny looks as I was staring at the sky.
Next time just mumble "They're coming" with increasing anxiety. Clears the bus queue a treat. :wink:

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I must admit, I have done this for comic effect in the past but I didn't mention it in case you thought I was mad. I can see I'm not alone! :lol:

If you get enough of you staring and pointing at some imaginary object, silently, for long enough, eventually other people will join in.

The trick then is to slowly withdraw and leave the unsuspecting bystanders staring on their own. The longest unaided stare wins!

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Lee Hurrell wrote:We've had a new addition to the household this week.

Someone said this week that cats choose thier owners and it seems that couldn't be more true in this case.
Nice cat story Lee. I have one that looks similar, but she is now 15 years old. Be careful, they can take over your life.
You need to show them who's boss.................

Vince

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Vince,

Where'd your photo go?
Vince Massimo wrote:You need to show them who's boss.................
I tried that and as I suspected, it turns out she is indeed the boss......

Cheers

Lee

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Lee,

My photo was only ever meant to be a temporary inclusion in order to demonstrate the point I was making. I am very careful not to put photos into someone else's Personal Diary unless they relate to an identification issue. She's a lovely looking cat. Keep us advised how you get on.

Vince
Last edited by Vince Massimo on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Vince Massimo wrote: I am very careful not to put photos into someone else's Personal Diary unless they relate to an identification issue.
That's kind of you, but don't worry about my diary, all welcome!
Vince Massimo wrote: She's a lovely looking cat. Keep us advised how you get on.
Will do. She's developed a very funny mad hour in the evenings when she runs around like a rocket and then jumps at the curtains. She then ran into the (closed) patio door last night with a thump, bless her.

Cheers

Lee

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Just been for a stroll around the college grounds in lovely warm sunshine, although it was a bit breezy.

The sun felt the warmest I've felt so far this year. No leps but the signs of spring are there....daffodils nearly out, a Robin foraging in the bottom of a bush, (nestbuilding?), a female Blackbird scuttling across some grass, a Long Tailed Tit skipping among plane tree branches and a Goldfinch chirping a lovely song. Oh, plus Feral pigeons, Wood Pigeons, 2 Crows and a Magpie fighting over a bag of chips.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I'm sure I've just seen 4-5 Skylarks in and above a tree opposite my front door. Starling size, mesmerising song and rising straight up while singing as I've seen on the south downs.

Is that likely in west London?

My book says they gather in loose flocks in winter in farmland. There is a lot of green space near me (cemetery, allotments, golf courses, Brent river park etc) so could be :D

Cheers

Lee

Return to “Personal Diaries”