DSLR Sensor Cleaning

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

DSLR Sensor Cleaning

Post by Pete Eeles »

I've just downloaded my latest batch of photos from a Canon 30D and they all have an ugly blob in the top right corner :( I've tried cleaning the sensor with a blower but nothing's happening.

I know this is a well-discsussed subject in DSLR circles. But what do you folks out there actually use to clean the sensor of your digital SLR? My "default" is to get it professionally cleaned (London Camera Exchange can clean it in 24 hours for £35).

Cheers,

- Pete
lurkalot

Post by lurkalot »

Pete, is the camera still in warranty? Providing it is, and you live within reach of a Canon service centre, then you can have the first clean free of charge. I would phone and check first though. :wink:

I had my sensor cleaned FOC on my 30D a few months back, not been a problem since.

The Visible dust Arctic butterfly is very good, and handy for cleaning on location.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Have you got or tried a Giottos Rocket Blower? - they really are the business and extremely powerful.
Oy

Post by Oy »

I agree - at the first sign of dust I use the Rocket - it usually shifts it.

When it won't - which is rare - I use the Eclipse fluid and Sensor Swab method.

I don't know about Canon but if you wend one in to Nikon to be cleaned - all they do is use a blower anyway.
Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Me too. Rocket first and then Eclipse fluid and digipads.

Robin
Alan Thornbury

Post by Alan Thornbury »

When the rocket blower doesn't shift it, I use a suction device made by Green Clean. It's powered by a compressed gas aerosol canister. There's no contact with the sensor surface and it usually works well, especially if you can target the speck area. So if the "blob" is top right in a photo, its the bottom right corner of the sensor as you look into the chamber to target with the suction tube.

I was never comfortable with anything that touched the sensor but if the dust is well and truly stuck, I guess there's no choice but swabs.

None of these things are particularly cheap, but I started with the traveller kit for about £30 + p&p from warehouse express. A large (400ml) replacement aerosol canister costs about £12 and will probably outlive the camera!

Cheers,

Alan

Return to “Photography”