Not Lepidoptera ( birds) 4

Discussion forum for sightings.
Paul Wetton

Re: Not Lepidoptera ( birds) 4

Post by Paul Wetton »

Loch Scridain is a good spot to find these beauties down on the ground early in the morning. I had two juveniles sat on rocks beside the loch on my last day on Mull a few years ago.

Good spot for otters as well.
Cheers Paul

Post by FISHiEE »

I have spoken to people who have done photo trips out on boats from Mull and it sounds like they are quite good with multiple birds seen. I asked because I had considered going to Mull to see the sea eagles but wondered if I would be disappointed, having been to Norway several times where they are very common, but apparently there's quite a lot on Mull now.

In my experience from Norway the eagles know to watch the fishing boats as there's always going to be an easy meal about. You can chuck out a fish in most places without any idea if there are any about and one or more will see it from somewhere within a couple of miles and come on over. Has to be something big the gulls can't swallow first though! :)

I am sure in time the Eagles will have learnt the same off Mull, though admittedly there's not many fish in the seas there compared to Norway so free meals from fishing boats might be a bit fewer and farther between!
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Would I have been likley to see these in France; are they common on the continent in places? I was between Tours and Angers.

I saw what I thought was an eagle last June that was very high but had huge square wings just like those pictured. I couldn't ID from wingshape but did settle on an eagle of some sort.

Cracking photos too :D

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Sightings”