Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
Yes - the area we've just completed is close-by, but it's hard to recognise! Looking at that last image, only a couple of years back there was nothing but impenetrable vegetation between the viewing point and the tall beech in the furthest distance.
Neil

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brinsbury Campus Visit

On Tuesday (9th November) I visited the Chichester College Brinsbury Campus near Pulborough, to talk to a group of students about the conservation of butterflies, and particularly the Brown Hairstreak. One of the students (Lee) had spotted a female hairstreak on the campus in the summer, and he and his colleagues had already found a few eggs. After a classroom session we headed out to the far reaches of the estate, and after a slow start we hit a more productive stretch of blackthorn-rich hedge, finding a dozen Brown Hairstreak eggs in all. In future, the blackthorn will be managed with this butterfly in mind, by cutting back the mature, spindly, lichen-covered bushes to promote the growth of new suckers.
UKB Brinsbury.jpg
UKB Brinsbury2.jpg
At Brinsbury they run a wide range of agricultural, countryside management and forestry courses.... in beautiful surroundings. Their staff and students have provided valuable assistance to the BC Sussex Branch, by performing habitat management work that would otherwise come at a prohibitive price. If students are to learn the art of cutting down trees, where better to direct this effort than at saving rare butterflies? It's an excellent relationship all round.

A group of local archaeologists were also at Brinsbury, working on Palaeolithic finds recovered from one of the campus fields. I was shown some stunning flint arrow-heads and a ceremonial dagger. If butterflies didn't take up so much of my time, I'd probably be doing some of this stuff!

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Best Of 2010 (Part 2)

More happy memories!
UKB16.jpg
Duke of Burgundy
UKB17.jpg
Brown Argus
UKB18.jpg
Common Blues
UKB19.jpg
Silver-studded Blue
UKB20.jpg
Brown Hairstreak
UKB21.jpg
Pearl-bordered Fritillary
UKB22.jpg
Silver-spotted Skipper
UKB23.jpg
Silver-washed Fritillary (valezina)
UKB24.jpg
Comma
UKB25.jpg
Large Heath (davus)
UKB26.jpg
Small Copper
UKB27.jpg
Common Blue (female)
UKB28.jpg
Small Blue
UKB29.jpg
Red Admiral
UKB30.jpg
Essex Skipper

59 SPECIES

Post by 59 SPECIES »

Smashing set of images Neil. Great memories I'm sure!

Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Were all the photos taken with the Panasonic Lumix? :?:

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks 59 SPECIES - compared to the previous couple of seasons it was certainly a good one. I'm already planning my memories for next year, with Chequered Skipper at the top of my list.
Yes Ian, all images were taken with the FZ38 and Panasonic close-up lens. The camera might be (relatively) cheap, but I reckon it's the best in that general price/spec range.
Neil

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Those are really beautiful images Neil, :mrgreen: are there any more to come? Aberrations perhaps? Nevetheless I would have to say that my favourite image of yours is the one of the Pearl Bordered Fritillary at roost on Sweet Chestnut at Rewell Wood (posted in part 1).

The past season has certainly been very different from 2009, but I think it was most memorable for the large number of aberrations that it produced. Like you, I do not consider winter as a time to be endured, but as a breathing space to sort out all of the photos and plan those all-important trips for next year. On that note, I see that you will be going for some of the northern species next year, so let me know if you need any information on Arnside Knott, Meathop Moss or Cumbrian Mountain Ringlet sites.

Vince

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Vince and 'yes', I will probably be in touch for some up-to-date info before heading North next year - thanks for the kind offer. I've scraped together a last batch of '2010 bests', and then I'll sort out the 'aberrants and oddities' - not least because I've promised Pete that I'll move some to the species gallery pages.
Neil

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I’ve already commented on the lovely pastel out-of-focus backgrounds to your shots Neil, but another thing strikes me. You rarely fill the frame so they are more than simply pictures of butterflies. That is a good lesson for many of us to take on board.

Jack

hoverfly

Post by hoverfly »

Great photos Neil, the colour on the Brown Argus is something to behold.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks hoverfly,
The Brown Argus might be 'under-stated', but in certain light conditions it's a real stunner!
Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Conifers Out, Cows In

On Wednesday (10th November), after first dropping in on a farmer to give butterfly-friendly farming advice, I headed over to our best Duke of Burgundy site in Sussex, situated on private land near Chichester. My first job was to assess the recent habitat management work performed by the South Downs Joint Committee contractors and volunteers. A large number of rapidly growing conifers had been removed from the slope - an ongoing project. These don't have to become particularly tall before they start shading out and cooling the habitat, particularly when growing on steep East or West facing slopes, where they cast 'exaggerated' shadows. As the image below shows, the small 'failed' conifers and beech were retained, as the Duke of Burgundy often thrives amongst particularly conifer trees of this size, which provide wind-breaks, localised semi-shade (providing suitable oviposition sites), and perches for the territorial males. It's when these mini-trees become too tall that ideal Duke sites rapidly 'go downhill'. Similar problems were encountered at the well-known 'Bonsai Bank' in Kent, although the situation has now been rectified.
UKB DoB site3.jpg
I was also there to assess the progress made by the half-a-dozen elderly dairy cattle which are currently grazing the site. Over-grazing, particularly by sheep, is the single biggest threat to the Duke of Burgundy, so even winter cattle grazing must be done with care. On this site they are being used to control the much longer, coarser grasses at the base of the slope, preventing the build-up of the 'thatch' that will ultimately shade-out the cowslips. The grazing action of cattle results in an ideal, uneven sward mosaic. Cowslips growing within or adjacent to the longer clumps of grass are given protection from UV and are less likely to become desiccated in warm summers - and it is these plants that the female Duke seeks out.
UKB DoB site2.jpg
The last image shows an embayment in the tree-line at the base of the slope. This is a firm favourite for the females to lay eggs in. A few years back I sat here for nearly an hour, watching a large batch (8) of Duke eggs hatching out. Unfortunately this was before I owned a camera!
UKB DoB site1.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Best Of 2010 (Part 3)
UKB41.jpg
Large Heath (davus)
UKB42.jpg
Roosting Pearl-bordered Fritillaries
UKB43.jpg
Mating Green Hairstreaks
UKB44.jpg
Black Hairstreak
UKB45.jpg
Chalkhill Blue
UKB46.jpg
Small Copper
UKB47.jpg
Large Skipper
UKB48.jpg
Brown Argus
UKB49.jpg
Grayling
UKB50.jpg
White-letter Hairstreak
UKB51.jpg
Purple Emperor
UKB52.jpg
Silver-washed Fritillary
UKB53.jpg
Heath Fritillary
UKB54.jpg
Pearl-bordered Fritillary
UKB55.jpg
Mating Small Blues
UKB56.jpg
Duke of Burgundy
UKB57.jpg
Brown Argus
UKB58.jpg
Dingy Skipper
UKB59.jpg
Swallowtail
UKB60.jpg
Grizzled Skipper

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Some real beauties there Neil. :)

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Zonda. I can't wait to do it all over again next year. 8)
Neil

Susie

Post by Susie »

Superb photies, Neil.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Susie. You'll probably recognise the Silver-washed Fritillary I'm about to post in 'Best Of The Aberrants'. :D
Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Best Of The Aberrants

It was another good year for aberrants and oddities in West Sussex (2009 was also very good). Along with the Dukes and Emperors, the polonus and taras (below) were my favourite butterflies of 2010.
UKB31.jpg
Hybrid Adonis x Chalkhill Blue, 'ab.' polonus (bellargus x coridon)
UKB32.jpg
Grizzled Skipper ab. taras
UKB33.jpg
Grizzled Skipper ab. taras
UKB34.jpg
Silver-washed Fritillary ab. confluens (thanks Susie!)
UKB35.jpg
White Admiral ab. nigrina
UKB36.jpg
White Admiral ab. nigrina
UKB37.jpg
Silver-washed Fritillary form valezina
UKB38.jpg
Small Tortoiseshell ab. nigrita (thanks Vince!)
UKB39.jpg
Small Tortoiseshell ab. nigrita
UKB40.jpg
Ringlet ab. arete

Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Stunning photos all round- I give up!! Well done for taking so many really wonderful pictures and for sharing them with us. :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Ian. I'm just heading off to Fuerteventura for some sunshine 8) . It's not a butterfly holiday (just in case Hannah reads this!), but if anything happens to land on my sangria glass, I'll have the camera ready.
Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”