Compact Camera users - Recommendations...

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
NickB

Compact Camera users - Recommendations...

Post by NickB »

I have a friend who has expressed an interest in butterfly photography. Having used my D300 for a couple of hours, he was enthusiastic to get a half-decent camera. His OH drew the line at a DSLR, and a Compact, with Macro/super-macro (and/or supplementary lens options) seems the best bet. Any ideas what might fit the bill?
Ta
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Compact Camera users - Recommendations...

Post by Vince Massimo »

Nick,

I have the Canon PowerShot G10 which was recommended to me by Pete, who uses a G9 as a back-up. This has since been superseded by the G11. It is a great camera, but a bit pricey and, at times fiddly. If I did not have it, I would definately buy a Panasonic Lumix FZ38, based upon the great results other illustrious users are getting.

Vince
NickB

Post by NickB »

Oh, that was my first thought too - FZ38.....no question.
But is not "Compact" enough.....more of the "Bridge" size. Something that just fits in the shirt-pocket, that maybe needs a "close-up" lens attached for macro....and that his wife can also use as a point-and-click.
Thanks; I do know of the Canon Powershot range...endorsements are always helpful :D
Any more recommendations...?
N
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

Canon Poweshot SX10IS. Fantastic camera!
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

55bloke wrote:Canon Poweshot SX10IS. Fantastic camera!
I am using a Canon SX20IS and whilst it is a good camera I can't wait until 'er indoors says I can get a DSLR. With the compact I can't seem to get the focusing spot on.
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

I know what you mean, it does sometimes take a few goes to get the focus right. I deliberately decided against a DSLR, in order to avoid having to have a bag full of lenses and other gear to carry around, not to mention the cost of all the lenses. With a 20 x optical zoom and super macro, the Powershot does it all in one package. I know the sensor is smaller than a DSLR, so the images aren't QUITE as crisp, but for 99.9% of what I do, it's perfectly adequate. Having said that, I do occasionally look at some of the images on here and think.... Hmmmmm, perhaps I should get a DSLR!!! :roll:
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

55bloke wrote: I do occasionally look at some of the images on here and think.... Hmmmmm, perhaps I should get a DSLR!!! :roll:
You have hit the nail on the head. If it weren't for the professional pictures here I would be quite happy with my Powershot, and I would be tempted by the forthcoming 30x zoom model, but then these DSLR guys would still produce better pictures. If you can't beat them, join them :?
NickB

Post by NickB »

JohnR wrote:
55bloke wrote: I do occasionally look at some of the images on here and think.... Hmmmmm, perhaps I should get a DSLR!!! :roll:
You have hit the nail on the head. If it weren't for the professional pictures here I would be quite happy with my Powershot, and I would be tempted by the forthcoming 30x zoom model, but then these DSLR guys would still produce better pictures. If you can't beat them, join them :?
...ah, that way lies madness..... just look at Gary.... :lol: :lol:
(and great expense....)
I started with a Bridge, got a better one and then finally got a DSLR.....
....now my camera and lenses end up costing more than I paid for my car :roll: (ask Jack what my car's like :cry: )

Thanks for the recommendations - he got an FZ38 in the end; just like a woman - buying the first one she saw (but only after she's looked at everything else in town as well....)
(Sorry, Aki :mrgreen: )
N

Return to “Photography”