October Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Dave McCormick

October Sightings

Post by Dave McCormick »

Well things are getting of to a wet start here. haven't seen many butterflies in a few weeks, but managed a short trip today to a lake not far from my house and saw 5 speckled woods (all males) but not much else, seems the butterfly season is coming to an end here.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Gibster

Re: October Sightings

Post by Gibster »

Dave McCormick wrote:seems the butterfly season is coming to an end here.
Whereas the wasp season has just begun here...every morning 2 or 3 fly into the bathroom whilst I'm showering - attracted to the light shining into the darkness from an open ceiling hatch. Makes for an interesting "dance" whilst I swat left right and centre and nearly slip and kill myself. Maybe a non-slip mat for the bathtub would be a good idea? (Or maybe I could shower whilst wearing a beekeepers outfit?)

If I leave the hatch shut the room fills with condensation. If I shower in the dark I bang my head.

I hate sharing small rooms with demented wasps... :evil:

Bring back the butterflies!!! :)

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

Too wet and windy for anything at Torquay today.

Yesterday I visited Rodborough Common, nice views but no butterflies, I found myself pondering the return of the Adonis Blue, it would be nice to think of it as natural but seeing the cars set me thinking that human aid (perhaps not intentional) was the most likely reason. Its not hard to imagine a fertile female Adonis Blue getting trapped in or on a car by a butterfly watcher at another site and then getting free a day later at Rodborough and finding somewhere to lay her eggs.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Whereas the wasp season has just begun here...every morning 2 or 3 fly into the bathroom whilst I'm showering - attracted to the light shining into the darkness from an open ceiling hatch. Makes for an interesting "dance" whilst I swat left right and centre and nearly slip and kill myself. Maybe a non-slip mat for the bathtub would be a good idea? (Or maybe I could shower whilst wearing a beekeepers outfit?)
Ouch, maybe you should have a bee suit with a built in shower?

The Wasp season seemed to end here last week. Had 40 flying about my garden last week, but none since.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nick wrote:
...An unexpected clear and sunny morning (2nd October)...
That reminds me. I will over the next few weeks be setting up a webpage giving best sources of weather information for the butterflyer. My point is, the fine sunny day on 2nd October was no surprise to me – I had foreseen it as early as the previous Wednesday. I had been following the weather for this Saturday with great interest as it was to be my 17 year old daughter’s first solo driving round the M25 to/from Reading (pleased to say, completed without incident).

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

...I hear there's a job going in Delphi for an oracle..... :mrgreen:
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
NickB

Post by NickB »

Lunchtime today - At least 6 Red Admirals nectaring on the various ivy bushes in my local Cemetery
:)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

You will know how I have occasionally been irked when someone posts: “...unexpected rain...” when it certainly had been no surprise to me that it rained. It was suggested that I should publish details of where most easily to find weather information on the internet.

I have made a website with I hope an easy-to-remember name:
splatterjack (memo - think splattering rain drops)

http://www.splatterjack.co.uk

There will be errors so this is in effect a Beta version. Do point out errors (not everyone at once please!) and suggestions for improvements. Write direct to my e-mail address at the bottom of the first webpage or on the forum.

Jack
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Today started horrible in London, but turned out positively lovely and warm on the coast at Brighton across to Eastbourne. On my return to London this afternoon I found it was just as nice as at the coast. Tomorrow is meant to be good too and the weekend forecast to hit 23 degrees with southerly airflow. So...are you there Jack?...can I hold out hope of finding a Clouded Yellow or two in the coming days? Has anybody seen any at all lately?

Couple of Small Whites were my only sightings today, both in East Sussex.

Cheers

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Jack Harrison wrote: I have made a website with I hope an easy-to-remember name:
splatterjack (memo - think splattering rain drops)

http://www.splatterjack.co.uk

There will be errors so this is in effect a Beta version. Do point out errors (not everyone at once please!) and suggestions for improvements. Write direct to my e-mail address at the bottom of the first webpage or on the forum.

Jack
Very useful stuff, Jack - I envy your ability to put a website together, and a nice friendly and attractive one as well! I often use the MetOffice site when planning trips, especially the satellite sequences and rainfall radar which have saved me making several wasted journeys. I've also managed to pick the right days off work some days in advance (22nd and 30th September recently). You have unearthed one or two other sites I'd never come across, including those "proper" synoptic charts. Excellent - it was a dark day when the BBC forecast dropped them. I shall be using this - thank you.

Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

As it happens, I will be visiting Worthing on Saturday and maybe elsewhere on the coast on Sunday. It’s a family visit but I will keep my eyes peeled for Clouded Yellows.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

NickB wrote:Lunchtime today - At least 6 Red Admirals nectaring on the various ivy bushes in my local Cemetery
:)
Here are a few shots...
RA_3_low_MRC_06_10_2010.jpg
RA_1_low_MRC_06_10_2010.jpg
RA_2_low_MRC_06_10_2010.jpg
N
NickB

Post by NickB »

More RAs today and a Small White - and 2 fresh Holly Blue :)
...(late 2nd/partial 3rd brood :? )
N
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I’ve got too much ivy in my garden – it’s almost a weed. I was outside for quite a time today doing some work but didn’t see a single butterfly despite regular checks for RA on the ivy. But at least I have (a few weeks ago) seen Holly Blue egg-laying on the ivy.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely day in Swansea today and it was no surprise to see both a male Large White and a Speckled Wood fluttering around the vegetation which surrounds the office.
millerd

Post by millerd »

A lovely day here near Heathrow - an afternoon foray locally produced half a dozen Red Admirals on ivy flowers, several Small Whites patrolling the banks of the River Colne, two Commas, a Speckled Wood and a Peacock which had managed to find some late-flowering bramble. I had earlier seen a Comma in the middle of the M25 contraflow near Potters Bar (you can tell how slowly the traffic was moving...)

Dave
Attachments
RA2 resized.jpg
RA7 resized.jpg
Peacock2 resized.jpg
Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

On journeys to and fro here in Worthing today , managed to see single examples of 6 species .

Peacock , Red Admiral , Speckled Wood . Small White , Large White and male Brimstone .
NickB

Post by NickB »

Chasing deer at Dunwich -
Stag_1_low_09_10_2010.jpg
and when the sun came out briefly, a Small White, a fly-by vanessid - probably an ST - and at least 3 Small Copper...
N
millerd

Post by millerd »

Glorious sunshine enticed me down to Denbies today for one more last look. The view was stunning today, with the trees beginning to turn and the landscape full of colour. Small Coppers were still about, though not as many as ten days ago, and one of the Small Heath colonies (at the far end of the hillside) was still going strong. There were also quite a few Meadow Browns, including this pair (below) on a rather late honeymoon. I counted three female Brimstones, including one that appeared to be trying to fly inside a bramble thicket, presumably seeking out a good hibernation spot. Finally, I saw a Small White, a Speckled Wood, a Peacock and two spiralling Red Admirals.

On return home to the Heathrow area, even after 5pm there were still five Red Admirals on a sunlit patch of ivy flowers, all gloriously new and brilliant in the evening light.

Dave
Attachments
SC2 resized.jpg
MB2 resized.jpg
MB mating pair resized.jpg
SC3 resized.jpg
SH1 resized.jpg
NickB

Post by NickB »

A few RA's today in the Cemetery and saw my first Comma in there for a while....
Comma_1a_low_MRC_10_10_2010.jpg
RA_2a_low_MRC_10_10_2010.jpg

Return to “Sightings”