wood white

markatbath

wood white

Post by markatbath »

Does anyone have any info on the wood white colony at the lyme regis undercliff reserve.I go to lyme several times a year so would be interested to know where they are and what sort of numbers to expect
thanks
mark
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi folks,

I will be surveying a private woodland in the next month or so which has records of Wood White when it was last looked at. I haven't seen this butterfly; how is it best distinguished from other whites fluttering around and not stopping in glades and rides?
JKT

Post by JKT »

It is much slower in flight. The thin body looks weak and the flight matches that. Add the small size to that and it is not difficult. After the first, you'll know for yourself.
COLIN BAKER

Wood White

Post by COLIN BAKER »

Hopefully you can see from this shot what JKT is saying.
The one on the right is in mid flight and yet almost in focus showing how slow the flight is.
These two were 'Mud puddling' where they congrigate near moist soil to extract nutrients.
I just tried to get an air shot and sort of achieved the look.
I took this shot at Botany Bay in Surrey way back in 2004.

Hope this helps you Mark with your first viewing of this dainty little butterfly.

Cheers

Colin
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Matsukaze
I remember very clearly my first wood white.
It was actually at Bucland Wood (see our previous correspondance) in 1985.
It was over 50 yards away when I first saw it, and I had not a moments hesitation in it's identity.
The slow, halting, weak flight is unmstakable.
Good luck at your private site - if you need any help!? :wink:
Roger Harding
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

Matsukaze,

The best description of a Wood White I have seen was "flying tissue paper". I can't remember where I read it - perhaps someone can remind me. I reckon if you see a white in flight and you're not sure if it is a Wood White, it isn't.

Is your private wood local? From everything I've read, the Wood Whites have been in serious decline for a long time in Somerset and adjacent areas, so it would be a great rediscovery.

Simon

Return to “General”