Planning For Spring

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Lawts

Planning For Spring

Post by Lawts »

I'm already planning for 2011. The plan is to get 11 of the 15 I need next year and the remaining 4 in 2012.

I think I can get 6 of next year's 11 in a two day trip in May. I'd appreciate any suggestions re optimum dates and sites.

Plan A:

Northamptonshire down to Surrey

Day 1 - start at Salcey Wood for Wood White. Then on to Bison Hill for Grizzled Skipper, Duke and Small Blue.

Day 2 - down to Denbies for Adonis Blue. I just need a site then for Marsh Frit.

Alternatively:

Plan B:

Dorset and Hampshire

Day 1 - Cerne Giant Hill for Grizzled Skipper, Adonis Blue and Marh Frit

Day 2 - Martin Down for Small Blue, Duke - just need somewhere for Wood White - possibly Salcey on way home.

Ideally it would be plan A, as it involves less driving. I was thinking of May week 4 - will this be too early for Wood White and Marsh Frit?

Any help or alternate suggestions appreciated.

Steve.
Bill S

Re: Planning For Spring

Post by Bill S »

Lawts wrote:I'm already planning for 2011. The plan is to get 11 of the 15 I need next year and the remaining 4 in 2012.

I think I can get 6 of next year's 11 in a two day trip in May. I'd appreciate any suggestions re optimum dates and sites.

Plan A:

Day 1 - start at Salcey Wood for Wood White. Then on to Bison Hill for Grizzled Skipper, Duke and Small Blue.

Day 2 - down to Denbies for Adonis Blue. I just need a site then for Marsh Frit.

Alternatively:

Plan B:

Dorset and Hampshire

Day 1 - Cerne Giant Hill for Grizzled Skipper, Adonis Blue and Marh Frit

Day 2 - Martin Down for Small Blue, Duke - just need somewhere for Wood White - possibly Salcey on way home.

Ideally it would be plan A, as it involves less driving. I was thinking of May week 4 - will this be too early for Wood White and Marsh Frit?

Any help or alternate suggestions appreciated.

Steve.
I'm pretty sure you could get GS, AB, DoB and SB all at Martin Down on a good day.

Bill
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with Bill, I went to Martin Down on the 23rd May and got photos of both Grizzled and Dingy Skipper, Green Hairstreak, Small Blue and I saw a Duke of Burgundy and couldn't photograph it in time in time. All where the path from the Sillen's Lane car park meets Borkerly Ditch.

Another visit on 4th June allowed me to get photos of Grizzled Skipper, Small Blue, Adonis Blue and Green Hairstreak all in one little part of the path along Borkerley Ditch.

It might mean slightly less drving than visiting the Giant or Surrey?

Good luck with it - I really want to get photos of Glanville Fritillary but I don't fancy a trip to the Isle of Wight

Wurzel
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Wurzel
Not sure what part of the country you are in, but from your name I am guessing somewhere in the Westcountry - Devon, Wiltshire or Somerset perhaps?
If that is the case, have you heard of the Glanvilles at Sand Point in Somerset?
I didn't go this year, but last year they were in huge numbers.
An introduction of course, but now (probably) a self sustaining population.
I can give you good details on where they are if you need it?

Cheers
Cheers

Roger
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Wurzel, if you are coming to Dorset the best, and least exhausting place for Adonis (IMO) is Durlston Country Park . Cerne Abbas was ok for Marsh Frits this year, but in 5 transects around and over the giants hill this season i never spotted one Adonis. That is not to say that they aren't there, just a bit thin on the ground. I'm still after Grizzled myself, and i think Durlston might be the place for those too, or may have to go for the higher downland. :)
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Roger,

If ok with you, I'd like directions/help for Sand Point. My mum lives in Somerset and I could perhaps coincide a trip!

Thanks,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Cheers

Roger
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Perfect, thanks Roger.

It's a date for the spring!

Thanks

Lee
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

We could all meet on the seafront at Weston S Mare, and take the coast road north to Sand Point. I reckon i could manage that,,,, i used to deliver frozen food in the area, in my 'white van man' days(long since gone). :D Anyone for chips?
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I'm in! :D

Cheers

Lee
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I'll go with your timetable Lee, being retired it's easy for me to comply. Just let me know a fortnight in advance. :)
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Zonda, that will make it easier. I'll have to juggle work, mum and home availability...

Looking at the flight times last week in May looks like a good bet, which is also just right for Marsh Frit, another species new to me. We could maybe combine the two in a day?

Cheers

Lee
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Wurzel
Look back about 6 posts, and I have put a link to the location om StreetMap.
The big orange arrow shows the spot.
You just get to the trig point, and go diagonally down and across the steep field to your left to an old stile.
A few yards up the track, and there is an open area to your right.
This is the best area I have found. I have been told that they are also on the north side as well, but I have never looked for them.
It is also a great spot for Wall Brown (further out towards the tip) and Brown Argus.
Good luck

Oooh ar ooh ar ay
Cheers

Roger
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Lawts wrote:I think I can get 6 of next year's 11 in a two day trip in May. I'd appreciate any suggestions re optimum dates and sites.

Plan A:

Hi Steve, where are you based?

I'm in Surrey and have very good sites for Wood White, Adonis Blue and Small Blue all local to me in mid/south Surrey. I'm about an hour to Noar Hill for Duke of Burgundy. Alternatively I've seen D of B at Bentley Woods (although only one!) with Grizzled Skipper at the same time in the same clearing. Plus I know a Marsh Frit site nearby but can't disclose info here. Hod Hill is where I had mine this year alongside Adonis and Small Blues...PM me nearer the time, always pleased to help where I can.

What's your full hitlist anyway? I'm after Mountain Ringlet next year if you fancy a road-trip northwards, lol! :)

Cheers matey

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks all for the info.

Gibster, my targets for next year:

Grizzled Skipper, Duke, Small Blue, Adonis Blue, Marh Frit, and Wood White - all in a two day Spring jaunt down south - last week in May. If I can get half my 2011 targets in two days it would give me such a boost for the rest of the year.

Swallowtail - Norfolk Mid-June

Large Blue - Somerset end of June/early July

High Brown Frit - Cumbria - mid July

Lulworth Skip - Dorset early August

Silver-spotted Skip - Oxon mid August to wrap the year up.

I think this is doable with six trips that should still keep my wife reasonably on side. If I'm being honest I could see me missing out Lulworth in 2011 as it's a long drive, but may try to combine it with a holiday.

This leaves me with Heath Frit, Chequered Skip, Glanville Frit, and Mountain Ringlet for 2012.

Any suggestions/tips appreciated - I can't really see how I could combine any of the other 2011 targets given dates and locations.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Lawts wrote:High Brown Frit - Cumbria - mid July.
Steve,
I'm still not sure where you are based - have I missed this bit? But there are two reliable sites for High Brown Fritillaries in Ewenny South Wales, Between Cardiff and Bridgend. From the Severn Bridge crossing these sites probably take about 45 minutes total. This site may be worth thinking about instead of Cumbria. I love going to Cumbria myself, but it is a long trek. You could try and combine the Large Blue at Collard Hill and the High Brown for the same time period, i.e. end of June / start of July, though the experts here will give you a better clue as to the peak for the Large Blue.

You could theoretically also see the Marsh Fritillary at Aberbargoed Grasslands or the Cross Hands site near Carmarthen, though they are a bit further into Wales. :shock: I need to get some better pics of the Marsh Frit next year myself...so I may be tempted by either those 2 Wales sites or Cerne Hill.

Over this way Duke of Burgundy and Small Blue are also at Prestbury Hill near Cheltenham, though I've not seen the DoB when I've been there, but the local branch would no doubt post their sightings.

Michael
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Lawts, the Heath Fritillaries in Somerset should be on the wing at the same time as Large Blue (late June), although Exmoor is not exactly near Collard Hill.
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

Zonda wrote:I'll go with your timetable Lee, being retired it's easy for me to comply. Just let me know a fortnight in advance. :)
Just wondering how easy it will be for access by pushbike from Weston-super-Mare station, I'm retired railway staff so it looks like a good use of one of my free passes :D
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Just wondering how easy it will be for access by pushbike from Weston-super-Mare station, I'm retired railway staff so it looks like a good use of one of my free passes :D
Forget the pushbike, maybe the railway station would be a better meeting place anyway. From there you hop into any one of several cars. :)
Cheers,,, Zonda.

Return to “Sites”