Can't find number 40!

Discussion forum for sightings.
Paulcrook

Can't find number 40!

Post by Paulcrook »

For each of the last 6 years or so I have been trying to find 40 butterflies in the UK. Saw number 39 the other day but so far this year have had a lot of difficulty with a few that might have been relatively simple in my part of the country, the Surrey/Hampshire border.

So far I have not been able to find Painted Lady, Clouded Yellow, Brown Hairstreak (despite everyone else who's been there having seen at least 1 at Noar Hill - I've had three visits so far without success), Dark Green Hairstreak and Wall.

I'm very pleased and grateful to have seen as many as I have this year but wouldn't mind achieving the 40 at some point. Anyone any helpful suggestions (apart from stop whinging!), especially regarding the Brown Hairstreak as I would really like a decent photo of one of those.

All the best
Paul
David M

Re: Can't find number 40!

Post by David M »

Dark Green Hairstreak and Wall.

You'll be doing particularly well if you see the former of the above! :D

Wall Browns frustrated me too until a couple of weeks ago, but since then I've found a few dozen in various places near the coast.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Paul
I have found Clouded Yellow and Painted Lady a bit thin on the ground this year - only one pianted lady for me and no Clouded Yellow so far - don't know what others think.
However I have had success with Brown Hairstreak at Noar Hill last weekend seeing at least four individuals 1f 3m but having 10+ individuals 'down' including a pristine female for 30mins egg laying. Much improved on last year when I failed to spot any.
The best area I found was if you park at the first entrance and walk up the track to the last gate where the cattle crush is. Go in to the reserve at this gate and walk up the path where you will see a sign board on your right. If you turn left here and walk about thirty metres you will find a large amount of Hemp Agrimony adjacent the path on the right - it was in this I had most sightings with males coming out of the oaks and ash on the other side of the track. If you keep your eyes peeled in the tops of these trees you may well get a few high level sightings. If you walk on a few metres there is a scrubby area on the left [the Triangle?] with lots of Blackthorn - walk down to the fence line keeping an eye out for females.
You will need reasonable weather though!!!!
Good Luck
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Paul,
I saw two painted ladies at Grafton Wood today - Grafton Flyford, Worcester (Thursday 18th August) and theoretically (!!) you should see Brown Hairstreaks there. I will post a proper summary tonight on the August Sightings once I've uploaded & processed my photos (I didn't get any shots of the painted ladies mind you, they were in no mood to stop for photos) :wink: .

I also keep bumping into a friend (sorry, still don't know his name) who has been up and down the country taking HD video of British Butterflies. I think he's managed to get every species this year (I would have been impressed if he'd gotten half our species - that's a lot of mileage, research and a bit of luck). Anyway, I bumped into him again last Sunday at Alners Gorse and he still hadn't seen any Clouded Yellows this year, so you're not alone. In fact I haven't seen any in Britain this year either! :|

Michael
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Whoops didn't spot Wall on your list!!!!
Try Steyning Rifle Range in Suusex - viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4065&start=120
Had good sightings of both Wall and Brownhairstreak within 5 yards of one another last week hopefully you will get two on one site

Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hi Paul,

If you don't mind the jaunt, Wall is common on top of the big hill at the back of Lulworth Cove in Dorset (I saw 15 last week). More locally, try Keyhaven Marshes in Hampshire. The coast path from Pennington (start at The Gun pub) heading eastwards for a mile or so is usually pretty reliable. Despite racking up a whole heapload of miles this summer I too have yet to see Clouded Yellow. I'm hoping for one or two on the Isles of Scilly in September. Penninis Head is usually good for them. Usually...

My friend knows the master tree for Brown Hairstreaks at Pulborough Brooks RSPB, as do some of the staff there.

What else are you missing that occurs in southern UK?

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Allo Paul

Painted Ladies have been scarce this year, I saw only my second of the year in my garden this afternoon (along with a very fresh looking Small Tortoise).

If you are still trying for Brown Hairstreak then Shipton Bellinger is supposed to be quite reliable -if you fancy a bit of a drive to the other side of Hampshire. If you check out Alan Thornbury's website there's some very good info there along with grid refernces and maps. I haven't been there myself but hopefully by Monday evening I will have - I might even see you there!

Good luck with getting to 40!

Wurzel
Painted Lay for UKBut.jpg
Small Tort for UKBut.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Paulcrook:
....For each of the last 6 years or so I have been trying to find 40 butterflies....
You live in a super area and have some wonderful opportunities – I am jealous.

However, I can probably point you to some localities for the missing species. You do have to go and look for them; they don’t come to you. So if you send me a list of your missing species, either as a Private Message or direct to me, I’ll see what suggestions I can make for next season.

jack.harrison@gmail.com

Jack
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Michaeljf wrote:Paul,
I saw two painted ladies at Grafton Wood today - Grafton Flyford, Worcester (Thursday 18th August) and theoretically (!!) you should see Brown Hairstreaks there. I will post a proper summary tonight on the August Sightings once I've uploaded & processed my photos (I didn't get any shots of the painted ladies mind you, they were in no mood to stop for photos) :wink: .

I also keep bumping into a friend (sorry, still don't know his name) who has been up and down the country taking HD video of British Butterflies. I think he's managed to get every species this year (I would have been impressed if he'd gotten half our species - that's a lot of mileage, research and a bit of luck). Anyway, I bumped into him again last Sunday at Alners Gorse and he still hadn't seen any Clouded Yellows this year, so you're not alone. In fact I haven't seen any in Britain this year either! :|

Michael
Hi Michael

It may have been me you saw at Alners Gorse lugging a rather heavy Canon XL2 video camera around. Did we meet at Arnside Knott and Aston Rowant Nature Reserve also. I may be wrong.

Still no Clouded Yellows unfortunately even though I've visited haunts such as Ballard Down, Durlston Country Park and Old Winchester Hill several times over the past few weeks. Lets hope the current winds blow a few over from the continent.

If anyone out there has regularly seen Clouded Yellow at a location i would be extremely grateful for information.

Regards to all

Paul
Cheers Paul

Post by Jack Harrison »

I wasn’t the original questioner but I too have bumped in to Paul Wetton in several different places over the past few months. Here he is in action at a Swallowtail shoot.
PW.jpg
So Paul apart from Clouded Yellow, any other misses this year? I didn’t go for a “full house” but of those I did try to see, the only failure was Glanville Fritillary on mainland Hampshire – I was almost certainly just a few days too early. My year total stands at 52 but I too have missed Clouded Yellow. To get that total I have had to travel and did around 4,000 on specific butterfly trips over the period May to August. I addition, I spent a few nights away staying in hotels. It’s not a cheap hobby but decidedly less expensive than a previous passion, glider flying.

Jack
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Paul Wetton wrote:Hi Michael
It may have been me you saw at Alners Gorse lugging a rather heavy Canon XL2 video camera around. Did we meet at Arnside Knott and Aston Rowant Nature Reserve also. I may be wrong. Paul
Hi Paul,
we met at Alners Gorse, Bentley Wood and Fermyn Wood - Bentley and Fermyn I was there for Purple Emperors, and this is your hand from the Saturday at Fermyn. While the Emperor was on your finger we discussed both being diabetic, and wondered if it improved the appeal of the sweat.. :shock: :wink:
Purple Emperor on Paul's finger!
Purple Emperor on Paul's finger!
:

Anyway, nice to finally put a face to a name (my apologies, I can always remember a face but not easily a name!)

If you ever have a completed DVD of the species you've filmed, be sure to put a link on here as I know I would like to buy a copy (unless it's a limited edition at over £100)! :lol:

Michael
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

There was also a post from the August sightings page for Clouded Yellow at Wells Wood, Norfolk on the 25th August (last Wednesday). Not sure if this is any help.

Michael
David M

Post by David M »

Paul Wetton wrote: If anyone out there has regularly seen Clouded Yellow at a location i would be extremely grateful for information.

I was lucky enough to see one on Bank Holiday Monday at West Yatton Down near Chippenham. This site is nowhere near the south coast so there must be a fair few knocking about somewhere.

I also drove past a huge, flowering clover field on my way back to the M4 at J18. I was half tempted to stop and check it out for further Clouded Yellow activity but decided I didn't want to end up stuck in late afternoon Bank Holiday traffic.
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Just like to thank all those who replied to my post.

I remember you now Michael and nice photo of the Purple Emperor on my grubby mit.

Hello Jack we've bumped into each other a few times and it's been a pleasure. Not sure about the pic of me though. Definitely not my best side. Around the back is probably better.

To anyone interested I will be preparing a DVD of the years exploits and it will definitely be less than £100 more likely 15 quid or less. I'll put a link to my site with an option to buy using PayPal or other methods. I won't be starting the edit until the season is over just in case I get some better clips or more interesting footage.

Cheers all
Cheers Paul

Return to “Sightings”