Queries from a beginner?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Queries from a beginner?

Post by Wurzel »

Allo there I've only been photographing butterflies for a year now and on my stores I've come across a few unusual forms and also one or two that I could do with checking. Hopefully you guys will be able to help me confirm or deny their identify...

First up is a female Common Blue - is this the form caerulea ?
B Common Blue for UKBut.jpg
Next is another blue, this time Adonis - the hind wing has black spots near to the margin (although they're very hard to see on this sized image) - is this suffusa?
B Adonis Blue UKBut 2.jpg
Then there's this really worn Silver Washed Fritillary - is it valesinaor a really aged Silver that's lost all it's ginger as the shot was was taken this week at Garston Wood and it is pretty late in the season?
B Greenish UKBut.jpg
Then there are two Small Coppers - the first has blue markings on the hind wing - is this a common aberrant and does it have a flash sounding name? The second was taken in strong sunshine last week at Martin Down and I was wondering if the golden metallic sheen was a usual sight?
B Small Copper ab UKBut.jpg
B Small Copper 16.jpg
Any help is greatly appreciated cheers

Wurzel
Zonda

Re: Queries from a beginner?

Post by Zonda »

Hya Wurzel, the only one that really rings a bell with me is the Silver-washed valezina female, because i took an almost identical pic of a worn one not long ago, and i think you have that ID right.

Personally, i have not seen any blue spots on Small Copper upperwings, but seek out the experts on here. They will certainly know.

Your first pic could be a worn Common Blue male.
Last edited by Zonda on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Queries from a beginner?

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Hi Wurzel.
Yes, the Small Copper with the blue spots is a very common aberration known as caeruleopunctata.
The metallic sheen on the other Small Copper is normal - it becomes very apparent if viewed from an angle like that.

Trev

Return to “Identification”