An old Hairstreak?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
JohnR

An old Hairstreak?

Post by JohnR »

This is the first butterfly I have had to net and even then I haven't a clue. Old, tired and battered he was enjoying the last of the afternoon's sunshine. My beginner's guess would be a White Letter, the only distinguishing features were the ginger tips to the antennae.
Ginger.JPG
Ginger.JPG (91.5 KiB) Viewed 530 times
Michaeljf

Re: An old Hairstreak?

Post by Michaeljf »

Looks like a slightly worse-for ware White-Letter Hairstreak to me. Unless you were abroad at the time, in which case it might open the possibilities up more :wink:
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi John,
That used to be a Purple Hairstreak!
Neil
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

And I just spent the afternoon looking for a non-existent elm in the wood. Oaks a plenty but no elms!

Can we have a vote on this specimen?

John
JKT

Post by JKT »

I'd vote for purple, but there was only one hint (for me): the slight darker coloring near the rear corner of front wings.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

My first thought before reading any of the posts was a worn Purple.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

I was going from both the brownish colouring for the WLH (which could easily change depending on the light and the format of the camera) and the thin-ish nature of the line on the forewing, as I always got the impression the Purple Hairstreak has a broader line, and of course, a more greyish base colour. I'll freely admit to being wrong! :oops: The fact that there are plenty of Oaks in the location and an absence of Elms certainly backs up the Purple Hairstreak likelihood.

Regarding the thinish nature of the forewing (underside) line, the photos below of a couple of slightly taggy specimens highlight this feature...
Slightly taggy White-Letter at Forest Farm Cardiff
Slightly taggy White-Letter at Forest Farm Cardiff
Purple Hairstreak - snapped locally a few years back (Cardiff)
Purple Hairstreak - snapped locally a few years back (Cardiff)
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I immediately thought it was purple too.

I don't know if this helps, but white-letter hairstreaks usually wear long black and white stripy football socks, like brown hairstreaks, whereas purple hairstreaks have much plainer legs, with narrower white stripes towards the feet.

Guy

EDIT: You can't see the socks on Michael's WLH, so that might not be helpful. All my own pictures show them quite clearly, even the old individuals.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

padfield wrote:EDIT: You can't see the socks on Michael's WLH, so that might not be helpful. All my own pictures show them quite clearly, even the old individuals.
I'll get me coat :oops: :wink:
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

No no no, Michael! I meant you might be right!! :D My 'socks' thing might not be helpful.

When I first looked at that hairstreak I only saw purple. Your post opened my eyes. I think the actual reason I saw (and still see) purple hairstreak is the colour and texture of the hindwing base, and maybe also the shape of the forewing. But you make a good case and I don't mind being wrong at all.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

This is him again from a slightly different angle
Ginger2.JPG
I am just off to see if I can find any of his doddery old relatives.
Piers

Post by Piers »

Surely Purple, no question...

Felix.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

JohnR wrote:I am just off to see if I can find any of his doddery old relatives.
Nice one John :mrgreen: I'll just admit defeat and go quietly, and pay more attention to a butterflies socks in future. Note to self: surely their socks deteriorate as quickly as their wings? This is called 'clutching at straws' :wink:

Michael
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Michaeljf wrote: I'll just admit defeat and go quietly, and pay more attention to a butterflies socks in future. Note to self: surely their socks deteriorate as quickly as their wings? This is called 'clutching at straws' :wink:
Michael
It would be really handy if someone listed butterflies by their sock colours. Think of the marketing possibilities - buy your socks from Butterfly Conservation :roll:
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

JohnR wrote:Think of the marketing possibilities - buy your socks from Butterfly Conservation :roll:
M&S are missing a treat!
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Identification”