Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

Betulae Begins

For me, the only species that can rank alongside the Purple Emperor and Duke of Burgundy, in terms of getting me as excited as my first Clouded Yellow did in the mid 70s, is the stunning Brown Hairstreak. Every single sighting gets my heart racing, none more so than the first of the season. On Monday (2nd August) I saw two females - one on private land where I'm performing a survey for the owner, and the second at Steyning Rifle Range. The former was particularly exciting, being the first record for this previously unexplored site. I had been very confident of finding Brown Hairstreaks here, but to be honest if the habitat looks right, you'll find the species across most of West Sussex. That said - they're never easy!
UKB Brown Hairstreak 1, Steyning 2.8.10.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak 2, Steyning 2.8.10.jpg
On Tuesday (3rd August) I travelled to Povey Cross, just North of Gatwick Airport. I had arranged to meet Jack (Harrison), who of course hoped to add Brown Hairstreak to his 50+ 2010 species tally. I chose this venue as a female BH had been spotted here a few days previously, and being further inland (and warmer) than my local sites, I thought it gave us a better chance of success, being a few days 'ahead'.

Never having visited before, it took a while to get a feel for the place and assess the most likely areas. As I was walking along a raised pathway by the River Mole, a Gatekeeper suddenly turned into a male Brown Hairstreak. It perched in a Field Maple, just above head height. Luckily Jack had brought his Hairstreak Hooking Stick along and I managed to gently pull the branch down, getting a decent enough shot as the butterfly crawled around - not easy holding the camera in one hand and a branch in the other! As I snapped away another male BH landed less than a metre away, and at that point I knew we had found a master tree. A conservative count was four, but later on we saw hairstreaks fluttering around the crown of the tree, almost immediately energised every time the sun broke through. Jack needs to visit more often - we always have a good day!
UKB Male BH in master tree, Povey Cross 3.8.10.jpg

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hatfullofsky

Post by Hatfullofsky »

Hi Neil,
You are getting some really awesome images, I think you have great skill with a camera. I don't put good photos down to camera equipment alone but you know the hefty gear I take around with me and I am being tempted to ditch it all in favour of the camera you have. My only concern is the noise levels, though I don't see any noise in your web images.
Congrats on finding the BH at the new location and I just *knew* you'd find one at Steyning even though I'd been there for hours and not seen a one! On a different topic - is it still a good time for me to look for Wood White tomorrow at Botany Bay?
Sherie

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Sherie. "My only concern is the noise levels" - talk to my nextdoor neighbour about it! :D . Seriously, I don't really take much heed of the technical aspects of photography, preferring to remain clueless, but Gary (Gruditch) - who knows his onions - has blown some FZ38 images up, and I get the impression that noise isn't too bad. There's a dedicated FZ38 thread on here where you might like to seek more expert advice. I can send you a full-sized image of something to play with. I wouldn't want to persuade anyone to change a camera for another model, as I think it's a case of what suits the individual. I've seen your stuff and used it in our magazine - so the only thing I would say is "yes, that's a mighty hefty load you drag around!" The one thing I do know is my 'quarry', so by being in the right place at the right time, again and again, I can't fail to get a good shot eventually!

Wood Whites? Yes, get to Botany Bay tomorrow - they're awesome!
Neil

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Look in the FZ38 thread for noise comments.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4403&p=35852#p35852

Jack

Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

As Neil says, I've blown up some of his images from the FZ38, and they are totally noiseless. There are areas where a camera like this will fall down, but macro work certainly isn't one of them. That said if someone never produces good images, and I'm not referring to you Sherie, as I've never seen your work, then changing cameras wont help much. Neil is one of those lucky few who has the artistic eye, and regardless of camera, will always produce wonderful pictures.

Regards Gruditch

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Gary - the cheque's in the post :wink: . Sherie's stuff is very good (very), so really I think the issue here boils down to the weight. If I was in your shoes Sherie (in which case I might get arrested :shock: ), I certainly wouldn't dump the current set-up, but if funds allowed, I'd get an FZ38 to add to the arsenal, particularly as you shoot a lot more than butterfly close-ups.

Good luck at Botany Bay today - but you won't need it.

Neil

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Hya Neil,,, sorry to scribble in your diary, but what time of day and conditions did you get the BH open wing shot? Great pics BTW. :D

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Zonda,
It was 11.45 am on the third stroke.
Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Wall Building

I'm pleased to say that the Wall Brown is continuing its recovery in Sussex, moving westwards along the Downs and regaining lost territory. At Chantry Hill (Storrington) I saw a solitary female Wall a couple of summers back - the first record from here for many years. On Thursday (5th August) I counted ten males around the old earth workings, just below the summit.
UKB Wall country.jpg
Wall country
UKB Wall 1, Chantry Hill 5.8.10.jpg
UKB Wall 2, Chantry Hill 5.8.10.jpg
Male Wall Browns

Today (6th August) I flushed at least a dozen Wall from the south-facing flank of Steyning Rifle Range. Unfortunately the weather collapsed just as I arrived here, but I still managed fleeting glimpses of two female Brown Hairstreaks. Elsewhere in Sussex the Wall has been seen in very good numbers again, following a spectacular resurgence in 2009. Bob Eade, who does a standardised walk around the Frog Firle area at Seaford, has had daily counts in excess of 40 lately. It's nice to see this species 'on the up' again.
UKB Wall 3, Steyning 6.8.10.jpg
Female Wall Brown

Hatfullofsky

Post by Hatfullofsky »

Hi Neil (and everyone),
Thanks for your comments re: the FZ38. I had a quick look at a thread on here about it a couple of nights ago and there was mention of another camera coming out by Panasonic (the FZ100) so I may take a hard look at that one too. It's certainly worth considering for those days when I don't feel like humping 5+lbs of camera gear plus water, provisions etc around with me for hours and hours. And then there are those trips where my main focus is something other than photography when I want a camera with me (I always want a camera with me) but cannot always be close to my camera equipment and don't want to have to worry about security for my more expensive gear. I will take a closer look at the thread on here that you mentioned Jack and keep my comments on it off this thread which is Neil's diary.
Neil, I did indeed not have to worry about finding the Wood Whites. I posted a message about the trip on the Sussex BC site. Great day :). BTW, I also love Wall Brown. I think calling them a Brown is unfair as the Browns are generally quite dowdy but the Wall Brown is spectacular. I partcularly love the underside of their wings. I may be wrong but I don't think any other (UK) butterfly has quite the same amazing patterning.
I may be breaking polite protocol writing in your diary Neil, sorry if I am. I'm new here and will look around properly and read on etiquette before posting anything else.
Sherie
PS Thanks for your kind comments re: 'my stuff' - I shall have to send you a cheque and that will help you to pay for the cheque you need to send Gary!

Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

Hi Neil
Hope you are well . On recent visits to Lancing Rings , there have been ever increasing numbers of Wall Browns , around 20 seen last Tuesday in around 1 1/2 hours before the clouds came .

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Butterfly Conservation Sussex Branch Square Scramble

On Sunday (8th August) I took part in the BC Sussex Branch Square Scramble - a four hour race to record as many different species as possible in different tetrad squares. The event was organised by Michael Blencowe and Clare Jeffers; a cunning scheme to collect butterfly records for our Sussex Butterfly Atlas project (2010 - 2014). I teamed up with fellow 'Purple Pirate' Tom Ottley. Elsewhere in Sussex The Felpham Flyers, Zero and Blind Terry, The Speckled Wedds, Bodie and Doyle and The Mid-Sussex Skippers keenly contested the trophy. It was one point per species of butterfly per tetrad, with a bonus of three points for a Hummer Hawkmoth.

In second place were Zero and Blind Terry (Clare and Michael), who opted for a different gameplan to ours. They went for a brief dip into a higher number of squares (some of ours were just driven through), but struggled in some tetrads under inland cloud cover. However, they had us rattled when they started picking up Small Whites on churchyard floral tributes. Michael's text about the sighting of a Bath White in Hampshire did 'get me going' for a second or two, but I rapidly regained my composure and focus.

There were several highpoints along our journey, including a gratifyingly high number of Wall Browns. Best of all, I spotted a male Brown Hairstreak flitting across a downland coombe at Edburton. A rapid chase resulted in the discovery of a master tree, with several other males congregating around the crown of an ash tree.

We bagged a good tally of species at Lancing Circle, but here I twisted my ankle badly and thereafter hobbled and crawled when necessary. The Purple Pirates finally grasped victory on the spectacular Cissbury Ring, ending up with 157 points (boosted by a three point Hummer at Mill Hill).
BC Sussex Butterfly Scramble Map.jpg
Team Territories
UKB - BC Sussex Butterfly Race, Purple Pirates.jpg
The Final Count

A_T

Post by A_T »

Just looked through this thread and wanted to congratulate you on some wonderful photographs.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Many thanks A_T. Hopefully a few more opportunities before the season's out.
Neil

Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

The brown hairstreak photos are stunning and I am amazed at how good the FZ38 is for detail- see attached small tortoiseshell.
Thanks all contributors for a great thread.
Ian
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--P1030559.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

BC Walk Goes Into Extra Time

On Sunday (15th August) I led my penultimate BC walk of the year to Chantry Hill near Storrington. The target species was Silver-spotted Skipper, which was first seen at this location in late August 2007, having made a gigantic 'leap' along the Downs from the nearest known colony at Newtimber Hill, 18 kms to the East. They are now doing well here and a few days previously a group of four of us had managed to flush 38 from the grass in 'no fly' weather. Bearing in mind that maximum daily counts during the 2007 - 2009 period had been in single figures, this now looks like a well-established population.

We soon saw a few skippers, although they were difficult to spot with a strong north-easterly blowing straight onto the Down. Other species seen included Wall Brown, Chalkhill and Common Blue, Brown Argus, Small Copper, Small Heath, Meadow Brown, Small White and Brimstone. The strength of the wind persuaded me to shelve my plans for a survey of Silver-spotted Skipper numbers, so I offered the party an alternative plan. Bearing in mind that Richard Roebuck had sent me a text reporting that Brown Hairstreaks were active at Steyning, five of us headed to the Rifle Range.

I barely had time to say 'hello' to Sally and Pete of the Steyning Downland Scheme before a female Brown Hairstreak dropped from a Field Maple and opened her wings. She sat for quite a while before warming up sufficiently to go on an egg-laying run. A large party on an organised walk with 'Project Fred' soon joined us - and went away rather happy after many had their first experience of this fabulous butterfly. Several more hairstreaks appeared in the next hour or so, and if added to the total seen earlier by Richard, there were probably about seven active on this part of the site.

Those visiting the Rifle Range should not be put off by the fencing around the 'hotspot' beside the sunken, spring-fed ponds. This is not intended to exclude the keen hairstreak-watcher; it's to prevent cattle from grubbing out the regenerating blackthorn and bullace, and to retain a longer sward around the base of the suckers. Just walk to the far end of the enclosure (nearest the village) and around the end fence-post by the kissing gate. It's very encouraging to see so much egg-laying going on within this area, which will next year be inaugurated as a 'Brown Hairstreak Reserve'.

The fencing around the Rifle Range is to facilitate grazing of the grassland area, which has recently been brought under a Higher Level Stewardship scheme. After just one winter the waste-high Tor Grass and thatch has disappeared, and botanical surveys are showing early signs of the vast improvements that will follow year-on-year. Old anthills have been revealed, and as the ground warms up again the ant activity will increase. This is very much a site to keep an eye on, as I expect it to go from strength to strength in the next couple of years. It's a real credit to the Wiston Estate and volunteers of the Steyning Downland Scheme.
UKB Brown Hairstreak 1, Steyning Rifle Range 15.8.10.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak 2, Steyning Rifle Range 15.8.10.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak Reserve.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Brown Hairstreaks At Steyning

Yesterday (16th August) I met my brother and nephew (visiting from Antwerp) at Steyning Rifle Range. Hatfullofsky (Sherie) was already there with her sister and brother-in-law, waiting in eager anticipation of the first Brown Hairstreak of the day. We thought we would try to 'convert' her guests, both being keen birders! After only a couple of minutes my brother shouted 'got one', marking the start of a real hairstreak-fest.

Throughout the day (I was still seeing them at 3.30 pm) a total of about 21/22 were seen, including 13 females, spread between the bowls club right on the edge of the village, right up to the furthest corner of the Rifle Range. Males were showing very well all along the mature hedgerow shown to the left in the image posted yesterday, sometimes descending (albeit briefly) to ground level below the two ash they use as master trees.

It was interesting to watch the difference in behaviour of the more mature females, which were out egg-laying, and the quite high number of mint-condition females which generally just lazed around, just out of reach of the camera, in the ash and field maples, waiting for their eggs to ripen. This takes quite a while in this species (a week?), but once they indulge in their regular descent through the spiny Prunus suckers (they seem to prefer the bullace here) they soon start to pick up the scratches and nicks which allow differentiation of individual insects. The image directly below shows the characteristic, semi-circular notch in the wing margin which is picked up as the butterfly backs into a cylindrical blackthorn spine.
UKB Brown Hairstreak 2, Steyning 16.8.10.jpg
The next sunny morning (hopefully tomorrow :D ) will probably see a new batch of pristine females descend, to start going about their business. Bearing in mind the over-enthusiastic cutting of the blackthorn here last winter (some was necessary in order to re-instate the new fence-line), I'm pleasantly surprised at the numbers showing this year. This probably reflects a particularly good breeding season, and demonstrates how the species relies upon a landscape-scale population structure - the surrounding countryside is rich in blackthorn. The upside is that the vast majority of the Prunus stock on site is now in early re-generation phase, and can be hand-managed to keep it in perfect condition for the species in future. It will be interesting to see just how good this site can get. As Richard 'lucky' Roebuck's image shows http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.html , it's already possible to frame two in one shot!

UKB Brown Hairstreak 1, Steyning 16.8.10.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Neil

You kindly gave me map references for Steyning but perhaps others would appreciate. I don't think there's anything confidential is there?

It did seem when I made a brief recce of the area in poor weather that parking could be tricky. So any chance of a map with details of parking, allotments, hedge line? My favourite map-source is:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk

with the 25,000 scale being ideal for details such as this.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
They're here for all to enjoy! Map as requested. I'm leading a walk here on Saturday 28th August at 10.30 am, starting from the grid reference given on the map. The Brown Hairstreaks will be at peak then.
Neil
Rifle Range Brown Hairstreak Location Map.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Saved By A Moth!

Today (18th August) quite a number of us congregated in the hope that the Brown Hairstreaks of Steyning Rifle Range would descend from the trees to put on a show for us. Unfortunately it was one of those days when borderline weather conditions kept several of us standing around waiting 'too long', while pressing DIY jobs remained undone (Alan's cupboard and my bath panel). The Hairstreaks would become active within minutes every time the sun broke through, but the cloud never cleared for long enough to tempt them down to either lay eggs or nectar.

'Saving the day' was this Hummingbird Hawkmoth, which my brother found sheltering amongst the blackthorn suckers. With such sleek lines, and in full combat livery, I looks ready to appear at the Shoreham Airshow this weekend.
UKB Hummer 1, Steyning 18.8.10.jpg
UKB Hummer 2, Steyning 18.8.10.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”