The Immense Benefits of Marjoram

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Zonda

The Immense Benefits of Marjoram

Post by Zonda »

Marjoram in the garden is probably the best butterfly magnet you can plant,,, IMHO better than Buddleia.
Sorry pics deleted.

All pics taken in my wild garden today within half an hour. Teeming with butterflies at the moment. :D
Last edited by Zonda on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Butterfly Gardener

Re: The Immense Benefits of Marjoram

Post by Butterfly Gardener »

Although i get some butterflies on my marjoram plants, the majority of them seem to find the buddliea irresistable. I have created an area to attract butterflies with plenty of different plants but they still flock to the buddliea i've had for years :lol:
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hi Zonda, Whereabouts in South Dorset are you? i''m just about in East Dorset in Verwood. do you know what type of Buddliea you have? it's been an interseting year now mine are starting to become established. Nanoh Blue was the first to flower and attracted butterflies immediately, but then lochinch came to life and the garden went mad, now the 2 blues have died off a bit, pink delight has taken over. i have a white one still to flower, peace, which has only been in a year which last year with just one flower head still attracted butterflies, so i'm looking forward to seeing how that performs. also bought 'orpheous' at the longstock event and promising signs on that already. the 'les kneal' not looking so effective but it was a nice colour. my marjoram does attract gatekeepers, meadow browns and the occaisional comma but apart from that it's mainly bees and hovers. But it's still a young garden, only started about 3 years ago so plenty of time to change and mature. But all in all I wouldn't have a garden without marjoram. :)

Chris
Crispin

Post by Crispin »

Buddliea is indeed irresistible to many species especially the nymphalidaes. But marjoram is also good for attracting others such as lycaenidae.

I am fortunate in that our lawn/garden has plenty of rock rose and black medic integrated (planted by previous owner) and that has resulted in species which use those host plants breeding in the garden and using marjoram to nectar on (Common Blue, Brown Argus, Green hairstreak).

We have recently introduced patches of Bird's foot trefoil as an addition for Common Blue to use and Horseshoe vetch but I think it is unlikely we shall get any Adonis or Chalkhill.

There are a lot of species of plant that can be integrated in to a "lawn" and provide potential habitat or a stepping stone for species which may may be local. Mind you, my land lady has commented on the garden sometimes looking "messy" when we dont mow some areas, but then at the times when all these plants are in bloom she says how amazing it is.

I have some lesser knapweed coming on in pots.
I think the total number of species of butterfly recorded in the garden since Oct 2005 stands at 19.
I am sure there must be some White Letters near by but I haven't seen them!

Crispin
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Chris c said
Hi Zonda, Whereabouts in South Dorset are you? i''m just about in East Dorset in Verwood.
Hya Chris c, i'm Dorchester area. You may be the person to ask about this reserve.... Just wondered if any of the Hampshire / East Dorset chaps/chapettes have visited this reserve on the Ferndown by-pass. Sounds quite good. Sorry to go off topic. :roll:

http://www.slopbog.org.uk/
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

It's not a very enticing name for a nature reserve is it....? :lol:
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

No,,,, sounds like where they empty the po. :lol: Apologies Slop bog. :oops:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

i've been over to slop bog a few times but funnily enough never during the season, quite a nice little reserve and seems well cared for.

Chris
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Thanks for the feedback Chris. :)
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I've not had a great deal of luck with this in the garden, just the odd brown seems to be attracted to it here. It could be the type of plant though as many of mine are golden instead of wild.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”