Was it worth the effort?

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
ChrisC

Re: Was it worth the effort?

Post by ChrisC »

i wasn't going to get involved with thread until a few others responded, here in Verwood it has been another good year. and more consistent than last year. 18 species over 3 weekends. including 4 different individual Silver Washed Fritillaries, one of which spent at least 5 hours flitting between Buddlieas. Large skippers rather than being occasional have been ever present in good numbers, peacocks have slowly increased in number to a maximum of 6 today, Red admirals, commas, brimstones, whites. Ringlets (which haven't visited the buddliea) have tailed off this week.
DSC01871.JPG
DSC01871.JPG (41.05 KiB) Viewed 466 times
DSC01959.JPG
DSC01938.JPG
DSC01905.JPG
DSC01849.JPG
apologies for picture quality as all from my phone. and sorry to hear about the disappointing season others are having.
Susie, it must be repayment for the successes you have had outside the garden. :)
Chris
Susie

Post by Susie »

Am jealous! :D
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

We have about three different types of Buddleia in the back garden, the first one is now starting to go off, the second one (a richer coloured violet bloom) is just starting, and the white one (a newbie from a couple of years back) isn't yet in bud. The white one certainly paid for its space in the garden last year: because it was out later a lot of the Red Admirals and Peacocks went too it, and at night it attracted a lot of orange underwings and also some Red Underwings, which I was very happy to see. Given good weather this year, I'm hoping for the same sort of effect!

We have several large Hebe bushes that are now coming into flower, plus a big bed of Marjaram that always brings the Gatekeepers in - sometimes we can get 10 or 12 in at once in a small space, also joined by meadow browns and a few speckled woods. Though the amount of smaller species we get is largely because our garden backs onto some common ground.

I never regret growing several Buddleia bushes, because even in the rainy conditions the bees were making a, shall we say, bee-line for them. Keep those bees happy, I say!

The Verbena bonariensis is the best nectaring plant for long periods though - last year one bloomed in july, and was still going in September/October. They are a bit straggly and need cutting down in winter, but well worth it. They'll be flowering long after the buddleias have been and gone!!
Susie

Post by Susie »

I agree that vebena bonariensis is a great flower to have.

Going back to what Eris said earlier, you're right, I am glad I grew the plants I have anyway. :)

I am starting to think more though, that the type/number of butterflies that live or pass through an area has more to do with location and what's in the surrounding area than anything you do in your garden.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

even a first for the garden Grayling put in an appearance on the buddliea this afternoon. terrible, horrible pic sorry.
DSC02028.JPG
Chris
Susie

Post by Susie »

Sounds like you don't need to stir from your chair to watch all the best stuff. :D
Susie

Post by Susie »

And all of a sudden, there are butterflies! :shock:

Large and small whites, a comma, a red admiral, common and holly blues, meadow browns, gatekeepers and a small copper. More than I've had for ages!

The only thing I have done differently is watered the garden more often over the last few days, perhaps the flowers are producing more nectar now.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”