Scottish specialities - HELP!

Discussion forum for sightings.
Gibster

Scottish specialities - HELP!

Post by Gibster »

Hi all,

I'm heading up to Scotland with my girlfriend next week (12th - 17th July) via Lancs/Cumbria in search of various species and their forms.

"Operation ButterflyBlitz - Scotland Part 2" (catchy huh :lol: ) hopes to see all of the following: Northern Brown Argus artaxerxes and salmacis, Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary insularum, Dark Green Fritillary scotica, Speckled Wood oblita, Mountain Ringlets mnemon and scotica, Graylings scota and atlantica and Large Heaths polydama and scotica.

Out of that lot I'm most concerned about Mountain Ringlets and Northern Brown Argus. Have you had success this season with either species and if so where did you strike lucky? Any recent info much appreciated regards sites/access/hints and tips!

Many thanks in advance...I've somehow become embroiled in a rather unscientific but immensely fun-filled quest to see (and photograph) all of the resident UK butterflies this year. We're actually doing pretty darn well so far, but I'm only able to fit in this one midsummer Scotland trip (evil bosses and a busy work schedule can be a real pain at times!!!) We'd be very pleased to meet up with Members (beers on us, naturally :) ) for joint outings where feasible.

As an extra, if we clear-up reasonably quickly, we'd be keen to search out Azure Hawker, Northern Emerald, Highland Darter, White-faced Darter and Northern Damselfly...any takers out there??? Anybody else doing the tour same time as we are???

All the very best,

Seth and Sami.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
dave brown

Re: Scottish specialities - HELP!

Post by dave brown »

Seth and Sami,
Sorry, only just seen your request for Scottish news. I have sent a pm with some rushed information. Hope this helps. Beautiful scenery. I hope you have good weather.

Dave
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hi Dave,

I've messaged you a reply already - but thanks again for the info. Fingers crossed the dragonflies/damsel will now be achievable!!! And good news about the roadside Mountain Ringlets at Ben Lawers, not for me - but Sami wouldn't be overly thrilled at the uphill struggle otherwise needed to connect (tee hee, she'll doubtless slap me for saying that!!! :) )

Any other suggestions, folks? I've got a few sites in mind but it's all uncharted territory for me. I'm just trying to increase our chances of success.

Many thanks

Seth & Sami.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Gibster wrote:
....the roadside Mountain Ringlets at Ben Lawers....
Now that sounds like the sort of place I could see them (next year) without a slog up a hill which I would find difficult.
I am guessing but is this the spot ?
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=2 ... 38700&lm=0

Jack
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hi Jack,

this is the info that Dave kindly gave me:

"Best and easiest site for Mountain Ringlet is Ben Lawers. For good numbers park at the Centre (small charge) and walk up the nature trail. It is quite steep and hard going but you should see them within about 20 minutes of climbing. If your not so keen on walking don't go into the car walk but carrying on driving up the hill (narrow road with passing bays) until you reach the large dam on your left (shown on most maps/ streetmap etc- I believe it is called Loch Logan or something similar). Park in the lay by at the entrance to the dam and check the hill to your right, close to the road. We saw 3 within 10 metres of the road and right besides the car. Easy and no walking. They do not fly unless the the temp is 17 plus."

If we hit lucky I'll let you know via 'July Sightings'...fingers crossed!

All the very best, you still on target for 50?

Seth.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thanks - got it. Called Loch na Lairige. That is in fact about mid-way between the two points I mentioned earlier so pretty good guess on my part. Well, not entirely a guess. I looked for the highest part of the minor road.

Too late to go this year at such short notice but might see if wife and I can make the trip together next June.

Jack
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Well, we started quite well - Arneside Knott in Cumbria yielded plenty of High Brown Frit activity plus lots of Graylings semele on the gravel paths. A pair of Northern Brown Argus salmacis were lifers for us!

Nearby we hit Meathop Moss and were soon taking pics of Large Heath davus, our second butterfly lifer of the day, plus Manchester Treble-bar :)

On into Scotland where we wild-camped on the Ardnamurchan Peninsular, a Wildcat in the headlamps being a superb bonus :D

We saw lots of Dark Green Fritillary scotica, Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary insularum, Meadow Brown splendida, lots and lots of Chimneysweepers, Northern Emerald Dragonflies and Common Hawker at Ariundle Oakwoods. And maybe/probably Azure Hawker, but not conclusively. At Ardnamurchan Point we saw several Graylings atlantica (yet another lifer!) Just east of Kilchoan we found Large Heath scotica (and yep, that was new for us too!!!)

The next day we attempted Small Heath rhoumensis on Rhum, but ended up on a rainswept Canna instead. Four Meadow Browns splendida and wet feet were all we had to show for our efforts. Beautiful island though...

Heading into Speyside we hit more inclement weather. During the sunnier spells we managed Northern Damselfly (lifer!), Common Emerald Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselfly, Large Red Damselfly, 4-spotted Chaser, Golden-ringed Dragonflies, Raft Spiders, Small Heaths, DGF, SPBF, lots of Ringlets, Northern Brown Argus salmacis (another lifer for us) but not a lot else.

We attempted Ben Lawers for Mountain Ringlet scotica but the low temperature and horizontal rain hampered our best efforts. More wet feet without a lot to show for it.

Many thanks to Members who gave us helpful hints and advice. We tried, blame the weather for thwarting our attempt. Still, if I can sweet-talk the boss I may be able to try again in 10 days time!!! :wink:

Jack - the roadside Ben Lawers site looks ideal. The slope has a fairly steep embankment about eight feet high but simple to zigzag up, followed by an upward incline which is pretty easy going. We didn't see any Mountain Ringlets but apparently they are viewable from the roadside anyway. Best of luck if you go. Stunning landscape whatever!

Return to “Sightings”