June 2010 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
sahikmet

Re: June 2010 Sightings Chobham Heath

Post by sahikmet »

Hi,
Today at Chobham Heath 20+ Silver-studded blues mainly males 4 females. Small skipper 8. Small heath 5. Numbers are down on last year.
Cheers
Sezar
Attachments
Small skipper M.jpg
Silver-studded blue pair.jpg
Silver-studded blue 1 M.jpg
Silver -studded blue M.jpg
Jonathan Evans

Re: June 2010 Sightings

Post by Jonathan Evans »

At Whitecross Green Wood today were at least 7 Black Hairstreak, 5 White Admiral, with numerous Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Large Skipper and Marbled White. Also 1 Five Spot Burnet Moth.

JON
Black Hairstreak 2.JPG
White Admiral 1.JPG
Ringlet 2.JPG
Meadow Brown m1.JPG
Large Skipper 9.JPG
Marbled White 1.JPG
Five Spot Burnet Moth (Zygaena trifoli) 1.JPG
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Looks like you had a brilliant day Jonathan. Some great pics there. :)
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Jonathan Evans

Post by Jonathan Evans »

Zonda wrote:Looks like you had a brilliant day Jonathan. Some great pics there. :)
Cheers, it all sort of came together!

JON
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

At Danebury Hill, Hampshire, yesterday, amongst other things, we saw one very late Orange-tip, trying it on with every Marbled White he could find. And one very early Chalkhill Blue. :shock:

Regards Gruditch
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

White-letter Hairstreaks are now on the wing in north Somerset.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Hmmm,,,, interesting. :wink:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Early afternoon at Vange Marshes RSPB reserve I noted 16 Small and 1 Large, 2 Large Whites, 10 Small Heath and a Common Blue.

Benfleet Downs from mid afternoon had a good selection of butterflies though numbers of certain species well down on last year; 2-4 White-letter Hairstreaks on the favoured bramble, 12 Holly Blue, 2 Speckled Wood, 1 Marbled White, 2 Comma, 2 Ringlet, 8+ Large Skippers, 5+ Small Skippers, 4 Meadow Brown, 1 Small Heath and 1 Large White. These were all along the ride that runs from the gate at the end of St. Mary's Road down the meadow by the railway line.

Also 3 Privet Hawk Moths in my garden.
Attachments
Privet Hawk Moth, Rochford Garden
Privet Hawk Moth, Rochford Garden
White-letter Hairstreak, Benfleet Downs
White-letter Hairstreak, Benfleet Downs
Small Skippers, Benfleet Downs
Small Skippers, Benfleet Downs
millerd

Post by millerd »

Went to Alice Holt Visitor Centre with the children today - a brief side trip into the woods turned up at least four Silver-Washed Fritillaries (including a mating pair up in a sallow), plus numerous Large Skippers, Speckled Woods and Meadow Browns. No White Admirals or Ringlets, quite a contrast to the same Saturday last year, which was also hot and humid.

On the way home, we popped onto Thursley Common to be greeted by an abundance of Silver-studded Blues without going more than fifty metres from the weather station. Some of the females had unusually large and elongated underside black markings. The only other butterfly seen was a Small Tortoiseshell.

Dave
Attachments
SWF pair3 resized.jpg
Do you come here often?
Do you come here often?
SSB6 resized.jpg
SSB3 resized.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Have totally indulged myself today and spent almost 8 hours in the field.

The weather has been glorious so I took myself off to the Forest of Dean near Cinderford. My spirits were raised when the first butterfly I saw was a Wood White, however apart from the unexpected appearance of a single DGF, most of what I saw was expected and the trip didn't realise SWF/WAs.

The tally was:

1. Speckled Wood 38
2. Ringlet 15
3. Meadow Brown 14
4. Large Skipper 11
5. Small Tortoiseshell 8
6. Common Blue 5
7. Large White 2
8. Small White 1
9. Wood White 1
10. Dark Green Fritillary 1
Not too many clearings in the forest, so perhaps unsurprising that only one Dark Green Fritillary was seen
Not too many clearings in the forest, so perhaps unsurprising that only one Dark Green Fritillary was seen
Nice to see plenty of these, even if they DIDN'T want to settle for very long
Nice to see plenty of these, even if they DIDN'T want to settle for very long
Last edited by David M on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

After leaving the Forest of Dean, I did something I rarely do - go hunting butterflies in the mid-afternoon. I'm very glad I did, because I ventured even further into the Springfield Farm Reserve near Usk and was rewarded with incredible numbers of Meadow Browns and a very high tally of Marbled Whites.

In just over 2 hours I saw:

1. Meadow Brown 300+ easily (kicking them up with practically every stride)
2. Marbled White 40-60 (I positively identified 41, but there were many more white butterflies seen from a distance and on the grounds that I only saw one Small White, it's fair to conclude that most of these were MWs).
3. Ringlet 8
4. Large Skipper 7
5. Common Blue 5
6. Small Tortoiseshell 1
7. Small Copper 1
8. Small White 1
9. Small Skipper 1 (thanks, Guy)
Plenty of interaction on Thistles/Knapweed this afternoon within the MW fraternity
Plenty of interaction on Thistles/Knapweed this afternoon within the MW fraternity
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Had a look round Walters Copse at Newtown IOW and Shalcombe Wood/Down late afternoon yesterday and saw no marbled whites or silver-washed fritillaries as I would have expected. Good number of white admirals at Walters Copse and lots of meadow browns and large skippers at Shalcombe. No dark green fritillaries at Shalcombe yet either. :(
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

I saw a very battered Painted Lady alogside the Exeter Canal near Turf and also several fresh Small Torts yesterday.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Brampton Woods near Huntingdon this morning:
Lots of Large Skippers, a few Small Skippers and Meadow Browns, last few Black Hairstreaks and some Ringlets. Just before I left, I came across a couple of White Admirals on the main ride. No sign yet of White Letter or Purple Hairstreaks though.
IMG_6661b.jpg
Trev
geoff

Post by geoff »

Went up the road to Pamber Forest yesterday, as it's my local reserve. Expected to see very little considering the fairly gloomy reports from some quarters. However, we were rewarded with lots of SWF's and White Admirals ( lots meaning tens, not hundreds).
Also several Ringlets for the first time this year ,Meadow Browns, Small Skippers in abundance, and in a nearby meadow, my first Marbeld White of the season.
Also countless Speckled Woods.
We also took a stroll to the nearby Silchester Common, in hope of seeing Silver Studded Blues, but to no avail. Mind you, the sun was very high and any self-respecting butterfly on an exposed spot like that would have been staying in the shade.
jellyang

Post by jellyang »

A trip to Catfield Fen on the Norfolk Broads was fruitful with sightings of at least 5 Swallowtails. They were not prepared to have their photo taken though!! I had planned to get up early to get on site before it was too hot but kind of overslept :shock:

Numbers of butterflies in general are very low. Elsewhere today a few skippers & ringlets but not much else.
It does seem to be a good year for moths, I spotted several burnetts & cinnabar today.

Lets hope it gets better soon

Angie
millerd

Post by millerd »

Purple Hairsteaks for the first time in 2010 seen this evening (around 8pm) next to Junction 14 of the M25 - where they were last year.

Dave
NickB

Post by NickB »

I didn't think I would get excited about seeing some whites - but I've seen 4 in the last 2 days!
GVW_2ndB_1_low_MRC_27_06_2010.jpg
LW_2ndB_1_low_MRC_27_06_2010.jpg
and a nice ST too - along with a few Large Skippers and eventually Meadow Browns
ST_2ndB_2_low_MRC_27_06_2010.jpg
...but numbers of everything seem down...and/or late
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Susie

Post by Susie »

Hummingbird Hawk Moth in my garden yesterday feeding on red valerian.
millerd

Post by millerd »

A day off, and glorious weather, so no excuse.
First call, Botany Bay: White Admirals out in force - I had four on the ground around me at one point. There were good numbers of Silver-washed Fritillaries, Ringlets and Meadow Browns, and still around half a dozen Wood Whites.
Next stop, Box Hill: The Marbled Whites had all appeared since last week, plus three Dark Green Fritillaries. Considering they are nearly twice the size of a Marbled White, they are completely hopeless at dislodging one from a Knapweed flower. One flash of black and white and they run away.
En route for home, another call at Fairmile Common: very hot here on the sandy heath, but lots of Silver-studded Blues, including more females than the other day. Fascinating watching their courtship behaviour!

Dave
Attachments
SWF3 resized.jpg
Remind me never to have dinner with a White Admiral...
Remind me never to have dinner with a White Admiral...
a female
a female
Unusually large spots?
Unusually large spots?
MW3 resized.jpg
This requires a romantic caption!
This requires a romantic caption!

Return to “Sightings”