Finding green hairstreaks

Piers

Re: Finding green hairstreaks

Post by Piers »

NickB wrote:My sightings are all on chalkland; I have seen them on Hawthorn and Blackthorn (picture) hedges and bushes posing and nectaring and fighting for airspace.
GH_6_low_Burwell_17_04_2010.jpg
N
Hi Nick,

That Green Hairstreak really is a beauty, really nice heavy 'hairstreak' marking, and by the looks of it nicely marked on the underside of the forewings too. They rarely come with a heavier marking than that.

Felix.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Hi
Yes - I was lucky; it was a fine example & very fresh - most likely emerged that or the previous day, when I saw the first report on local BC site.
The original was very dark -I had to under-expose my shots a lot as the dear little thing was between me and the sun and I couldn't get to the other side. (I also took my 200mm lens as I knew it would be difficult to get near them from previous experience!)
A good example of why it is good to shoot in RAW - post-processing in CameraRAW/Photoshop allows you to re-gain the detail and adjust the levels to get a better dynamic range - Levels is a good and easy tool to start with. The result also shows a little golden light on the butterfly from the blossoms - a natural reflector. Will post original cropped to size to show what can be recovered, if you shoot in RAW especially.
GH_Original.JPG
:)
See you all tomorrow...
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

One interesting location where I found them about 30 years ago was right by the bunkers where the trains discharged coal at Ironbridge Power Station in Shropshire, they were always low on the ground and I have actually seen them fly beneath the rails between the sleepers..

The main site I used see them at though was on Bickerton Hill in South Cheshire where they were usually flying around the Bilberry or resting on silver birch saplings.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Some 15 years ago, I was stationary at traffic lights on the northern edge of Hatfield, Herts. Over the shrubs in the adjacent Tesco car park was the unmistakeable sight of a Green Hairstreak. I changed my plans so instead of returning home direct, I went to Tesco.

Could I find that Green Hairstreak again? No way!

Jack

Return to “General”