traplican

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
traplican

Re: traplican

Post by traplican »

Today only:
- four Map Butterflies - Araschnia levana on the park of primary school Traplice (without photos :( )
- one Geometrid: Common Heath - Ematurga atomaria - in the school park
- one Wood White or Réal's Wood White in my garden (only bad photo :( )
- first Small Whites - one of them in my garden.

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Today one Wood/Réal's Wood White and some Peacocks in my garden and one Orange Tip in the town park in Uherské Hradiště.

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Today one Map Butterfly - Araschnia levana sitting on the draft wall by the entry to our house.

Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Today more Peacocks, Map Butterflies and Wood Whites oe Réal's Wood Whites.

And the first Specled Wood - Pararge aegeria - in my garden. While I took its photos it was attacked by a Sand Lizard. I saved the butterfly but one was so damaged that it was probably unable of flying and fell wictim to predators.

Here is a photo of the Specled Wood before the Sand Lizard attack and here is a photo after.

Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Yesterday was a sunny and warm day and I succeed in snapping:
- Dingy Skipper (I saw lots of)
- Green-veined White
- Map Butterfly
- Orange tip female (I saw more males but they were too fitgety :x ).
- Wood White or Réal's Wood White (I don't know if they are of the same species before matting didn't occured)
- Grizzled Skipper
- Peacocks
- Commas
I saw also Swallowtails (Papilio machaon) and a Brimstone but not succeed in snapping any of them.

Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Today I saw a Wood White or (most probably) Réal's Wood White and a Swallowtail in my garden.

Outdoor I snapped:
Green-veined White
Wood White or (most probably) Réal's Wood White - I saw lots of
Dingy Skipper
Short-tailed Blue (I saw about six ones), two in the road ditch - here is photo of one of them
Speckled Wood
Map Butterfly
I saw lots of Orange Tips but they are too fidgety :x .

The snail on this photo is Cepaea vindobonensis.

Sand Lizards are mating in my garden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MkQ2iYsUtE[/video]

Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Wheather is continuously rainy here but I just have seen (and recorded) a gliding Black Stork from my window. But the record isn't good-class so I´m hasitating if to post it to youtube.

Well, here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKihu3IXO_g[/video]

Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Today I have snapped a Small Heath in our garden.

Jan Jurníček
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Is that umarked small heath hindwing underside normal in your small heaths, Traplican? I don't think I've seen one like that before.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Interesting Small Heath, I have also never seen one with no spots on hindwing underside.

Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Traplican,

If you compare your Small Heath to the one in Pete's diary, yours has no marking at all on the hind wing where Pete's has the band and shading all in place.

Interesting!

Cheers

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
traplican

Post by traplican »

Hi,

I thing it is normal here by males. "The eyes are missing, sometimes tiny white dots occur", is written in the "key" here. Excuse me so late answer but the weather is near continuously rainy here so I seldom visit my diary. :(

It seems most similar to the f. rhoumensis for me.

I shall check my photos of this species from last year.
Here are the photos from last year:
May 1st 2009
May 3rd 2009
May 9th 2009 May 9th 2009
May 16th 2009 (in our garden)
May 26th 2009
June 14th 2009 (bad photo)
June 14th 2009 (Pearly Heath male attempts to mate with the Small Heath female)

Small Heath is most common of Satyrinae here (occurs even on intensively managed meadows) so I have mostly ignored them.

Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Continuously rains and from Silezia and NE Moravia invading water reported - with the first human victim. :(
http://video.idnes.cz/?idvideo=V100517_ ... zpravy_sha

Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Today the wheather and and work ocupy has allowed me a short trip near to or house and I saw the first this year Large Copper. It was about 200 m from our hous and I hadn't the camera obout. So I returnded for the camera but the Large Copper got away meanwhile. :(

But I have snapped some other butterflies: Common Blue, Silver-studded Blues, some species of Clouded Yellow (alfacariensis? hyale? erate?) and a Wall Brown:
http://traplican.rajce.idnes.cz/Motyli_ ... -27/#album

Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Today before luch I have visited the same places like yesteday (meadows behind the school garden and my neighbour's meadow about 200 - 300 m from our house and I snapped butterflies:
- Silver-studded Blue
- Small Heaths (mostly without distinctive markings on the hindwing underside, but this one has some indisting eyes there)
- Berger's Clouded Yellows (most probably) and here is a bad photo of female putting the eggs (here is a better photo of the same specimen)
- Large Copper female

Here is the video of the Large Copper on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA7gtAcVnd4[/video]

Here is the same video on rajce.cz

... and here is the whole album on rajce.cz.

Jan Jurníček
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Traplican. I would have called that a sooty copper (tityrus). What makes you say it is large copper? The upperside markings visible on the video are perfect for sooty and wrong for large, and the underside spotting is also just right for sooty (large has far fewer spots).

Guy

EDIT - I've just had a look at your other pictures of the same butterfly, that you linked to via the alfacariensis post, and I'm afraid that's definitely tityrus.

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
traplican

Post by traplican »

Thank you Guy, you're right. I am not currently in condition. :oops:

I am going to rectify the legends.

This evening I have snapped a pair of Silver-studded Blues matting opposite to our house (on the slope at the opposite road border, in the front of the school) .

Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

Yesterday was sunny and I have snapped:
- Reverdin's Blue - Plebejus argyrognomon behind the school garden, Traplice
- Eastern Short-tailed Blue - Everes decoloratus on the sunny clay footpath through the bushy bank(Birthwort - the foodplant of Southern Festoon grows on the same place).
- Map Butterfly - Araschnia levana on the same place
- Chequered Skipper - Carterocephalus palaemon on the same place
- another one here
- Silver-studded Blue is currently dominant butterfly near me, maybe more common than Small Heath
- Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Boloria selene on the florid meadow
- at least I succeed in snapping a Orange Tip male
- Speckled Wood on the Stinging Nettles at the bank protection stand.

Here is the whole album and here is video of the Reverdin's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU0CPoM9 ... r_embedded[/video]

Jan Jurníček

Return to “Personal Diaries”