Not a butterfly

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Pauline

Not a butterfly

Post by Pauline »

Hi Guys

Last year I tried to describe a 'caterpillar' a friend had found on her plum tree (I hadn't actually seen it) and you tried to be helpful despite vague description. Now I know this probably isn't the appropriate site but I have huge respect for your collective knowledge. Anyway, my friend has kept the pupa all winter and I have been looking after it for her whilst she has been in America :roll: It has just emerged as this unattractive creature and I can't find anything in my 'insect' book. Do any of you have any info I can pass onto her please :?:
Attachments
DSC08870.JPG
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Not a butterfly

Post by Pete Eeles »

Looks like an ichneumon wasp to me - not sure of the species though!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks Pete. I'm sure you are right. There are just too many that are similar in this book and it has left me confused - can't find any with identical markings.

Pauline
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Pauline,

I have found one in one of my books with a black and white body like yours, (I can just see a black and white tip to the abdomen), the somewhat scarily named sabre wasp, rhyssa persuassoria.

I might add though that the book also states there are 20,000 different species of Ichneumon Wasps so I wouldn't guarentee that as an ID!

Cheers

Lee
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Tue May 11, 2010 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

i rember my first experience of those Lee, it was at seal sanctuary up in scotland somewhere, had no idea at the time what it was but followed it around as the ovipositor on it (or at the time i was thinking sting) was pretty much the length of it's body. i certainly wouldn't want to be a wood wasp larvae after seeing it. watched a few tiny ones eventually decimate the aphid population on my dog rose.

Chris
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Lee

Thanks for your suggestion but I am still not sure. If it makes it any clearer I am enclosing another image, but hey, 20,000, guess I might never know which one :?
Attachments
DSC08875.JPG
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Pauline,

It's not rhyssa persuassoria then, as that is black and white all over according to the picture I saw.

Chris - you're a brave man following one of those around!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

A couple of years ago, I was photographing butterflies when I saw this thing land on the ground closeby. I grabbed a record shot before it flew off. It was later positively identified for me as rhyssa persuasoria.
Alex
rhyssa persuasoria..jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It has the classic characteristics of the genus Ichneumon. The combination of the white spots, the limited yellow on the legs and the all black antennae should narrow it down a lot within the genus. I just did a quick image search and although I found several with each character separately, I found none with all of them (yet).

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Guy

This is obviously a challenging identification and I've not yet known you to be easily defeated - but, with 20,000 possibilities perhaps it has been narrowed down as far as possible. However, if you do find an exact match I would still be interested. I shall tell my friend to be a bit more selective in what she 'rescues' in future!

Return to “Identification”