Discussion forum for sightings.
NickB

Re: Painted Lady influx!!!

Post by NickB »

"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Cheers for that Nick. I might be purchasing one quite soon. :) Although tripod work does take me back to my fungi days, a bit. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Onestop Digital (based in HK but guarantee no UK taxes) have it at c £875 new - a substantial difference compared to UK...
http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/

Oh - monopod is good enough; can usually play with the ISO to get fast enough speeds....
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Piers

Post by Piers »

Cornish contacts report a 'notable' increase in Painted Lady numbers on Scilly in recent days. Possible evidence of an attempt at southerly migration?

Felix.
Piers

Post by Piers »

A small number of PL's observed in Cornwall flying south out to sea in the lee of the Gribbin Headland.

Felix.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi all,

Just a quick update on a Painted Lady larva I rescued from my local site in Chaldon, Surrey on 27th September. It was half grown at the time and I took it home to keep it safe. It has been kept outside in a sheltered position for most of the time in order to let it develop naturally, but on occasions of severe weather it was given extra protection. It has grown very slowly in the cooler Autumnal conditions and has only just pupated today. It will now be kept in the conservatory until it hatches and hopefully it will emerge on a sunny day when it can be released. No photos just yet because I do not want to disturb it.

Painted Lady sightings continue to appear on the Sussex pages, including a report by Dave Harris on 30th October of egglaying activity in Newhaven. In this case the larval foodplant was Mallow.

Cheers,

Vince
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Two,,, very flappy and seemingly desperate Painted ladies, and a Red Admiral in my garden today, but hey,,, this is nature. (sobs) :(
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi all,

Here are the promised photographs of the Painted Lady that I have been looking after. The larva was taken on 22nd October and the pupa today. This is probably one of the last of the species that are likely to hatch this season, bringing to an end an amazing story.
IMG_1276GXR.jpg
IMG_1331GX.jpg
Yesterday I had a sighting of an adult basking on my driveway here in Caterham, Surrey.

Cheers,

Vince
Piers

Post by Piers »

Has anyone seen any PL's appearing to be attempting hibernation yet? They have been recorded to have overwintered successfully in the UK before, so there's certainly no reason to think that hibernation won't be attempted by at least a few of the remaining individuals. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has seen a Painted Lady roosting in their shed/outhouse etc. or witnessed behaviour that looks like a butterfly seeking a winter roost site.

Felix.
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

hi felix,

found this one today busy nectaring on hebe down on the coast in highcliffe in a garden.
something i have noticed with them in the last few weeks is a change in behaviour from being very approachable, to very skittish and hard to get near to even with their heads down when nectaring.
still seeing a few around with 3 on tuesday in one garden.

gary.
Attachments
painted lady on hebe
painted lady on hebe
Denise

Post by Denise »

I just found a Painted Lady on the net curtain in the corner of my bedroom window.
It's chucking it down here so it might have just been looking for shelter, although saying that, it was in shut down mode and didn't attempt to fly when I moved the curtain. I will wait for the rain to go off and move it.

Denise
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Geniculata said:
something i have noticed with them in the last few weeks is a change in behaviour from being very approachable, to very skittish and hard to get near to
Me too,,,and also the other species of late butterflies. They are very mobile.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi all,

Final update on the Painted Lady pupa. Following a sudden colour change in the last few days, an adult emerged this morning. Fortunately the weather was fine so I left it in a sheltered sunny spot in the garden. This is possibly the last of the many.
IMG_1346XG.jpg
PB170314XG.jpg
Cheers,

Vince
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely photos Vince!
Let's hope the little fella makes it to warmer climes. Mind you, it is supposed to be quite mild this week.
Cheers
Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Quite sad innit? Nice pics Vince. :(
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

How long would it take the butterfly to get from Surrey to the Mediterranean?
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

wonderful pics vince!

here's one i watched on and off for most of the day today in a garden in the newforest. probably the last ill see this year :(

gary.
Attachments
painted lady
painted lady
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Nice pics Vince. Have not seen a Painted Lady since September or so, seems they are practically gone from here.
Let's hope the little fella makes it to warmer climes. Mind you, it is supposed to be quite mild this week.
Mild? Here is supposed to have bad rain all week. Probably why I have seen no butterflies in weeks.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The last painted ladies I saw in the Rhône Valley (CH) were on Oct.19th. I saw red admirals as recently as last Saturday, but the ladies seem all to have disappeared. This Saturday is forecast to be warm and sunny so I'll do a final hunt then. If I see one that looks like yours, Vince, flapping hopefully southward,I'll let you know. This week has been very warm, but that's because the south wind has been blowing, which would make your friend's progress all the harder.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
thepostieles

Post by thepostieles »

great pics vince, hope the pl makes the long trip sth, or finds shelter 4 winter :D

Return to “Sightings”