Help!!! want a dlsr...

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Susie

Re: Help!!! want a dlsr...

Post by Susie »

I'd give some serious thought before I bought another DSLR. As said above somewhere, the camera can only do so much above that it is down to the skill of the photographer. I've had my DSLR for 18 months and still haven't turned out a photo as good as I did with my compact. Now I am not saying that you are a numpty like me but if you get a chance to borrow a DSLR and play around with it for a while before buying then do so and see what you think. There are some cracking compacts out there. :?
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Susie,

Things don't add up for me here - and I remember you mentioning something similar at the UKB photography workshop. I suggest you make the most of your meeting in early August to pick the brains of Gruditch and the like. There's no way your photos shouldn't be (at least) as good as the photos from your compact.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Susie,

What camera did you use to take your latest Brown Hairstreak photo's?

Today I had a play with my daughters new compact, and took some shots of Peacocks and PL's in the garden. On the screen they looked great, and momentarily, I doubted if buying my Canon DSLR had been the right move, (the weight difference is huge.) However, when I down loaded the images on to my PC, I could have laughed out load. No comparison!

Amanda,

(As said before by other forum members) I would try out as many cameras as you can. Get a feel for them. What fits one person does not always fit with another. Look at the taken images on a PC screen as the camera screen can be misleading. Consider the weight aspect.

If I were just starting out from fresh, I would go for a Canon DSLR or a Sony Alpha DSLR. A lot of negative stuff has been written about Sony on the photographic threads, but if you look at Eccles and Xmilehigh's images, well they speak for themselves. Don't worry about live view, it's a gimmick that you won't use! Don't worry about all the buttons, it is a steep learning curve but it's fun to do. I still don't know what all the functions do, but getting out there and trying is all part of the fun. I am a technophobe, and if I can work it out, anyone can.

As Gruditch said, read through the photography threads and if you need anymore help, just ask. That's what we're all here for. Our love of butterflies inspires us to inform and help others as well as learning something for ourselves, and of course, having a good laugh along the way.

I hope that this has helped a bit.

Denise
Denise
Susie

Post by Susie »

Hi Denise, my best Brown hairstreak pic was taken with the DSLR (but that was after getting all the settings planned in advance and just hoping that it would land where I wanted it too and my luck was in - how often does that happen?! - and using the tripod) I took a picture of a purple hairstreak with the compact a few years back which was just a case of point and click and it appears just about as good in my eyes and with none of the aggravation. I am not blaming the camera in this - it purely down to me. I also find that I miss alot of shots because the DSLR, lenses and tripod are heavy and bulky and I don't want to take them with me all the time because or this or because I am scared they will get damaged. My compact I used to just pop in my pocket or bag and take everywhere. A point in case again is the purple hairstreak pic, I spotted that when out jogging and had the camera on me. That would never happen now with the DSLR :?

I don't want to put anyone off the DSLR because this forum members' pictures show that the most amazing photographs can be created if you have the skill, I am just saying that for some people a compact may be a more practical choice and they can also provide good images.
Denise

Post by Denise »

I love those Brown Hairstreak photo's Susie. I know the Purple Hairstreak photo that you mean, and that is a stunner too.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against compacts. In the right hands they can be extremely good, (and light weight.) You only have to look at Kipper's, Padfield's and jackharr's images to know that. But if your looking for a long term camera which will take consistently good images (once you've learned how) then I would go for a DSLR providing that cost and weight aren't an issue.

Hope that clears up any bias that might have come through, it wasn't intentional.

Denise
Denise
eccles

Post by eccles »

I understand what you're saying Susie. Many people choose not to have a DSLR for various reasons such as size, weight and complexity. Any one of those reasons can scupper a shot and leave the user wondering why on earth anyone should want to use one. Perhaps if you don't often print your pictures but merely display them on web pages then you might never need to do so. But if you persevere, you will finally get your first shot that is better than your best from the compact. Then once you print it out, frame it and hang it on the wall there will be no going back. The extra effort IS worth it.

I suppose the real test is how many shots with each system you might lose as a result of using it. If you find even after a lot of effort climbing that learning curve with a DSLR that the compact still gives you more successful pictures then it's maybe the better system for you.

But there are practicalities that can prevent you ever taking a successful shot with a compact such as light availability, reach, and speed.

It is widely known that DSLRs can cope with lower light than compacts by virtue of the larger sensor and bigger light collecting capability of their lenses.

I have taken shots with a long lens on my DSLR of purple hairstreaks in a tree that would be impossible with the compacts currently available, even those with super-zoom capability. Once you start photographing birds then a DSLR and long lens are all but essential.

Speed is probably the least mentioned but most valuable attribute of a DSLR. First, when you turn it on, it is immediately available. Secondly, when you press the shutter button the reaction time to take the picture is very fast. This is as important when photographing busy butterflies nectaring from bramble as it is when snapping birds or dragonflies in flight. Although you still might get the busy butterfly with a compact if you're lucky and you persevere, you can just about forget the in-flight photos. They simply won't happen.
Someone will now probably produce a shot of a bird in flight taken with a compact, so I will qualify the last comment with "mostly". ;)
NickB

Post by NickB »

I think what this debate highlights is the fact that whenever you make a camera upgrade (from Compact>Bridge>DSLR>Full_Frame DSLR) you have both the possibility to take better and worse photos than you did before!
As FISHiEE stated, the errors are magnified just as well as the good ones when you move to a higher-resolution image; more so, because they are so clearly wrong! I know this was my experience from a bridge to DSLR; and you must be prepared to learn from your mistakes. (Just this Saturday I took 400 pictures and nearly all were over exposed (just by 1/3 to 1/2 a step) even though I had already undershot by 2/3rds. Operator error - I didn't check enough in the field :roll: So on Sunday, I made sure I got them right! )

If you do upgrade, be prepared to have to work at it to get to know the kit. Practice, and then practice, as much as you can; I try to take a few butterfly shots each day. Read what others do and listen to what others say - this forum is one of the best. Experiment with different settings and equipment. There will come a time when you start to feel you have control of the camera...and not the other way round. And then too, the results become more predictable and reliable, and more importantly, visibly better :D

I'm sure when most people here upgraded, they all had that period where they wondered if they had wasted their money! Ask them now if they still feel the same way...
N
PS Nikon are quite good too; we just don't bang-on about it so much as the Canonistas and Sonyites... :lol:
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I think when I got my first DSLR (upgrade from a very basic 35mm film compact) I had about 6 months where I didn't use it so much and the results were not that great, but then when I got into it (taking photos every day) it was 2-3 months before I properly got the hang of it. Then I got very into it and would take hundreds of pics in a week and that's when I really began to improve dramatically.

A DSLR is a pretty complicated bit of kit and you need to be prepared to use it a lot to understand how to use it properly.

But be warned they can take over your life.... and your bank account!!! LOL
AmandaUK

Post by AmandaUK »

hello,
sorry not been on lately.. will pop back later and read the posts that I have missed.. there isn't enough hours in the day at the moment... and the children aren't even home :)
amanda
AmandaUK

Post by AmandaUK »

Hello,
Back again, Not yet made the mad rush to get a camera, hopefully tonight I will join the camera club, and see what they have.. I have been looking in a famous laminated book.
does anyone have the Canon 1000D? Not yet held it but I'm thinking of this one... i'm such an amateur... which is naughty as I don't want to buy something and not use it...
Used to collect teddy bears and they are all in a cupboard.

I have found a Canon 1000D that has a twin lens that I'm thinking will save me money in the future as hopefully they will help me and won't need to buy another one.
after work tomorrow pop to the photo shop and have a real feel for one.. and see if its what I need..

Thanks for your comments. I have taken notes..
amanda
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

AmandaUK wrote:will save me money in the future as hopefully they will help me and won't need to buy another one
If you get hooked, your be laughing a that statement in the future. :wink:
AmandaUK wrote:Canon 1000D? Not yet held it but I'm thinking of this one
I'll say this quietly, cuz I'm going to contradict others. But all that "you must go and hold them, get a feel for which feels best in your hand". Is pretty irrelevant if you have zero experience with a DSLR, they are all going to feel totally foreign, and BIG, like a brick in-fact compared to any compact.

Best of luck Gruditch
NickB

Post by NickB »

AmandaUK wrote:I have found a Canon 1000D that has a twin lens that I'm thinking will save me money in the future as hopefully they will help me and won't need to buy another one. ...amanda
Echoing Gruditch's comments - I would just add that kit lenses are OK so far as they go. However, if you want to seriously shoot butterflies as opposed to general shots, a 2 kit lens solution (and I was seduced by the focal range offered when I first started) may be one lens too far. I would save my pennies and get a single-lens with the shorter zoom package and put that money towards a dedicated macro rather than a general-purpose zoom lens...just a thought.... :)
N
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Gosh Amanda, you are such a trial. My advice would be to concentrate on the family, because they come first. When you can afford it buy the best Nikon body only, that you can afford. After that, save up, and buy a Sigma 105 macro. Only then will you get close to the quality of the photographers on the uk butterflies website. This is what i have done, and i still have a way to go. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Zonda wrote:This is what i have done, and i still have a way to go.
That's cuz you bought a Nikon :lol:

Gruditch
eccles

Post by eccles »

Get a Sony A200. Built in image stabilisation, decent kit lens, proper spot metering, screw or SSM AF driven lenses both work. You won't regret it.

You see? Everyone has their favourite so you have to try them out to find which you like best or you'll go round and round in circles.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Sony :lol: At least Nikon have street cred in the camera world. If your getting a DSLR at least buy from a camera firm, not a electronics giant, with tones of dosh, no pedigree and not prestige.

Canon or Nikon camera manufactures, not telly's or Walkman's or play stations, Cameras. :wink:

Gruditch
eccles

Post by eccles »

Gruditch wrote:Sony :lol: At least Nikon have street cred in the camera world. If your getting a DSLR at least buy from a camera firm, not a electronics giant, with tones of dosh, no pedigree and not prestige.

Canon or Nikon camera manufactures, not telly's or Walkman's or play stations, Cameras. :wink:

Gruditch
Amanda, check the prices and specs (http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk http://www.dpreview.com ) then visit your local store and play with your short list before buying. Gruditch, please grow up.
Mike.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I think I've hooked one, someone pass me the landing net :lol:

Gruditch
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Gary
It's only a tiddler - put it back!
Cheers

Roger
NickB

Post by NickB »

Now, now boys! Put all toys back in prams and stop confusing Amanda with your obvious bias :mrgreen:
(We ALL have to justify the enormous investments we make!)

Amanda -
Try for yourself; most of the entry-level brands will do the job.
Whatever you buy will require some effort on your part to get-to-grips with the way the camera works and how best to get the butterfly shots you want... :)

N
(PS. Gary - Sorry, Canon do also make Printers (and very good ones too), unlike their c.... :wink: )

Return to “Photography”