July 2009 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: July 2009 Sightings

Post by Padfield »

To go back to the brown hairstreak variation, I also rarely see male uppersides, but the single one I did get on video in 1999 (in Brittany) was patterned exactly like Pete's 'aberration'. The video was taken from some distance and the quality is rubbish, but you can clearly see the pale markings. Here is a frame:

I was under the impression this was its normal colouration.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Susie,
The amount of orange on the male wing is quite possibly due to a recessive gene, hence those that Pete has raised from the captive stock circuit are more likely to throw up quite orange ones on a regular basis. But the gene will be also be expressed quite regularly in 'wild' populations (for instance the Small Copper aberrant caeruleopunctata is really quite common, particularly in some areas of the country), but we don't really know just how common this is in the wild, as we don't see the topside of BH males very often, as they're usually sitting up the top of ash trees being very lazy, and if they're down low nectaring the wings are usually closed. Your specimens from wild stock show that the colouring is really quite variable, but the difference is that ALL of Pete's are very orange. This natural variation is probably more common in some geographical areas than others. The only way of seeing how this works would be to examine old collections where the locality of capture is recorded. They're all very pretty though, even your ab. unicolor
Neil
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Thanks Pete. The original photo had five butterflies roosting but due to the breeze the fifth one was just cut off in the frame at the edge.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Pete Eeles wrote:
Ian Pratt wrote:Seen yesterday on Brading Down Isle of Wight.
I love the second photo Ian - well done!

Cheers,

- Pete
Thanks Pete. The original photo had five butterflies roosting but due to the breeze the fifth one was just cut off in the frame at the edge.
Eris

Post by Eris »

Yesterday was a stunning day for butterflies in my garden, the wildflower meadow really came into its own! :D 50+ Gatekeepers, a similar number of meadow browns. And to my delight 30+ or so painted ladies turned up all over the knapweed, and the budleia. Most looked very fresh but there were a few worn ones amongst them. 3 or 4 Large Whites on the plant in the garden that looks like Betony but is more cultivated and pinker ( I've no idea what it is) 1 red Admiral, around 8 speckled woods, 5 commas and a large amount of very fresh looking peacocks. At one time I counted 9 of them all at once sunning themselves across the back wall of the house. All my skippers seem to have vanished though

So I went over to our hayfield and spotted one common blue and one small copper on the fleabane, as well as more painted ladies.

I didn't need to get in my car and go out anywhere looking for butterflies, I just stood in the garden and said WOW :D :D
Paintedlady.JPG
smallcopp.JPG
Peacock.jpg
Oh and a Silver Y as well.
Oh and a Silver Y as well.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

2 lage whites (one male and one female), 4 Small Tortoiseshells and a red Admiral at the buddliah in my garden (at the darker, more sweeter smelling one) I'll post a pic soon of it. At night its filled with loads of silver y moths.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks for the info, Pete, Guy and Neil. Much appreciated. :)
Piers

Post by Piers »

Pete Eeles wrote:Not really a sighting - more of an observation. I've been rearing Brown Hairstreak this year (responsibly, I hasten to add - all captive bred stock!), which are just starting to emerge. As usual, males first, and they're all aberrations! 3 have emerged that all look like the one below - with extensive pale orange markings - which I believe are ab. spinosae (http://www.nhm.ac.uk/jdsml/research-cur ... me=betulae).

I'm not sure if this aberration is genetic or environmental. If it's the latter, I can only assume that the effects of the hot start to the summer had an effect on the larval stage. Any insights would be appreciated.

Cheers,

- Pete
IMG_7815.jpg
Hi Pete,

When I have bred Brown Hairstreak in the past I have found the males to be very variable; from almost entirely brown to those with with large pale areas on the forewing like yours. I always just put this down to a natural variation within the species, in the same way that no two Common Blue females are alike.

I have found the female Brown Hairstreaks to be remarkably consistent however and any variation in the size/extent/shade of the orange 'patch' to be extremely rare.

I think that variation is probably pretty common within a population but (as Neil has intimated) we just don't get to witness it in the wild.

Felix.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Felix, Neil, Guy and Susie - great responses. I completely agree with the comments regarding the amount of variability. So I wonder why the Cockayne database is full of examples that are, apparently, named aberrations!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Piers

Post by Piers »

Pete Eeles wrote:Thanks Felix, Neil, Guy and Susie - great responses. I completely agree with the comments regarding the amount of variability. So I wonder why the Cockayne database is full of examples that are, apparently, named aberrations!

Cheers,

- Pete
I guess it's nice to be able to name particular forms irrespective of how frequently they occur. It could also be the case that when the aberrations were named it was not known quite how common they were within the species.

I know that it's one of only a few resources available so I shouldn't be picky; BUT I do find the Cockayne Database pretty limited and not 100 percent acurate; surprising especially considering the wealth of British specimens and associated resources at their disposal.

Felix.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Perhaps it should be renamed the Cockeyed database?

(realising that I have probably just committed lepidopteran sacriledge I shall get my coat)
Piers

Post by Piers »

Susie wrote:Perhaps it should be renamed the Cockeyed database?

(realising that I have probably just committed lepidopteran sacriledge I shall get my coat)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Too funny! I've called it worse things...!
james66

Post by james66 »

Jersey Tiger.jpg
. taken 31/july 09.in somerset. Jersey Tiger
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Variation in Gatekeepers:

Over the last few weeks I have been watching Gatekeepers at Austrey Meadows, Warkwickshire (SK289053). Quite a number of the butterflies strayed from the typical form and displayed extra spots on the forewing.

1. Female, typical form.
2. Female, two faint additional forewing spots.
3. Female, asymetric additional spots.
4. Male, two additional forewing spots.
5-7. Female, two additional forewing spots, (aberration excessa).

Alexander

1 Gatekeeper (F) almost typ 270709.JPG
2 Gatekeeper (F) extra dots240709.JPG
3 Gatekeeper (F) unequal 280709.JPG
4 Gatekeeper (M) ab 300709.JPG
5 Gatekeeper (F) ab excessa 310709.JPG
6 Gatekeeper (F) ab excessa 310709.JPG
7 Gatekeeper (F) ab excessa uns 310709.JPG
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

There will always be differences within species. Traits which may come to the fore in future generations, and become the typical form, leaving the old typical form for someone in 3403 to remark on the lack of spots on Gatekeepers. I have a big nose, you have freckles. I am ginger, you are dark. Aberration is such a strong word, although i can think of a few Homo sapiens that might justify it. These are small differences that are probably traceable within the gene pool to a common ancestor. Interesting observations tho. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.

Return to “Sightings”