July 2009 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Matsukaze

Re: July 2009 Sightings

Post by Matsukaze »

On a more upbeat note, masses of Painted Ladies and Peacocks on buddleia today - when the wind blew, the Painted Ladies were rising and moving about like leaves in an autumn gale. As yet, they are showing no signs of migration.

I enjoy watching Peacocks at this time of year. Whilst I probably appreciate them more in the spring, as there is less around competing for attention and it is a joy to be seeing butterflies again, their behaviour is so different now - not the least sign of territoriality, instead numbers congregating on the buddleia to feed up.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Matsukaze wrote: the Painted Ladies were rising and moving about like leaves in an autumn gale. As yet, they are showing no signs of migration.
I'm finding this fascinating. There have defiantly been a few more coming in from the near Continent. But for the moment, all the English born lot, are staying put. :?

Gruditch
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Ref: Painted Ladies:
There have defiantly been a few more coming in from the near Continent
I love the spell check error there – suggesting the wrong word after a typo.

According to an online thesaurus defiantly means: rebelliously; comtemptuously.

Obviously they are giving two fingers to those European Bureaucrats.

Jack
eccles

Post by eccles »

I am still occasionally seeing faded painted ladies heading north, resolutely, if not defiantly. :)
Denise

Post by Denise »

I had two quite faded PL yesterday in the garden (along with throngs of fresh ones) which I noticed, as they were the only two feeding on Lavender.
They didn't stay long, and flew off in a northerly direction.
Nothing today, the weather is grotty. :(

Denise
Denise
Chris Pickford

Post by Chris Pickford »

Despite the rain, the wind and the fact that it is grey as pitch, there were still plenty of PLs on the thistles here this lunchtime (plus a few large Whites). Yesterday, on the same small patch there were very large numbers of PLs, Whites various, Peacocks, Small Torts and at least 10 Common Blues.

I suppose a migrating species like the PL probably thinks nothing of the odd bit of bad weather here and there....

Chris
NickB

Post by NickB »

At least half-a-dozen PLs sheltering and basking in the corner of the cemetery, along with a couple of Peacocks and a nice fresh dark-form Comma. Some PLs are looking a bit battered which indicates to me that we currently do have a mixture of UK-hatched (from the May invasion) plus some more that continue to trickle across from the continent and continue their normal migration pattern by heading north...
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nick suggested:
...which indicates to me that we currently do have a mixture of UK-hatched (from the May invasion) plus some more that continue to trickle across from the continent...
I offer a different scenario.

The first fresh, British bred Painted Ladies emerged the best part of two weeks ago and the slower developing ones only now are emerging. Meanwhile, those two-week old individuals are nearing their sell-by dates so are bound to be tatty. There might well be further immigration of a few defiant individuals who have become fed up with mainland Europe and moved here but I would still think that the elderly ones we are seeing now are more than likely be entitled to British Old Age Pensions.

Incidentally, in a wonderful book “Larn Yarself Norfolk” (I’ve been brushing up on my own native language), the term “Painted Lady” is used to describe a kipper that has been dyed but not yet smoked.

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eccles

Post by eccles »

I don't know how long adult PLs live for but if they're anything like native nymphalids such as small tort, comma and peacock, a couple of weeks shouldn't cause them too much trouble. Notwithstanding comments a while back on faded small torts, overwintering UK species often look remarkably fresh when emerging in Spring.
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Just back from Wales, wet and windy. Lots of Small skipper and Ringlet.

Cheers

Sezar
Attachments
Small skipper pair.jpg
Ringlet.jpg
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

eccles wrote:I don't know how long adult PLs live for but if they're anything like native nymphalids such as small tort, comma and peacock, a couple of weeks shouldn't cause them too much trouble. Notwithstanding comments a while back on faded small torts, overwintering UK species often look remarkably fresh when emerging in Spring.
Well I think Painted ladies can live for up to a year as an adult (one of the longest lived butterfly to be seen in UK to my knowledge). I have seen both fresh individuals here (recently hatched adults) and earlier instar caterpillars, so I am thinking a first wave came, mated, laid eggs and moved on, then a second smaller wave came (last of the migrating ones), did the same and those take a littler longer to get to adults. Eithet this, or some laid eggs later than others.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
NickB

Post by NickB »

In the cemetery today - BA!
BA_1_low_MRC_30_07_2009.jpg
BA_2_low_MRC_30_07_2009.jpg
Catch 'em early :wink:
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
thepostieles

Post by thepostieles »

saw few painted ladies today on my postround on buddlia, plus 1 red admiral and couple of large whites :D
Susie

Post by Susie »

Today has been glorious in the garden, I don't think I have ever seen so many butterflies here.

Peacock
Small Tortoiseshell
Red Admiral
Painted Lady
Comma
Speckled Wood
Meadow Brown
Large White
Small White
Common Blue
Purple Hairstreak

Brown Hairstreak (flying over my neighbour's garden)

A number of silver y flying too throughout the day.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

saw few painted ladies today on my postround
Silly me - I had thought Thepostieles was some ancient Greek philosopher!
Now I see it is "the postie Les".
Nice one Les.
Cheers

Roger
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Speckled Wood.... Maiden Newton Dorset......http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Sq ... nk...today.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi all,

Went for a walk today around Outwood, Surrey. There are some lovely flower meadows around the windmill which were teeming with Painted Lady. Also quite a few Peacock and Small Copper plus lots of Whites and Browns. Surprises however were 2 Silver Washed Fritillary and several Purple Hairstreak plus a male Clouded Yellow. Unfortunately no photos.

Cheers,

Vince.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Not really a sighting - more of an observation. I've been rearing Brown Hairstreak this year (responsibly, I hasten to add - all captive bred stock!), which are just starting to emerge. As usual, males first, and they're all aberrations! 3 have emerged that all look like the one below - with extensive pale orange markings - which I believe are ab. spinosae (http://www.nhm.ac.uk/jdsml/research-cur ... me=betulae).

I'm not sure if this aberration is genetic or environmental. If it's the latter, I can only assume that the effects of the hot start to the summer had an effect on the larval stage. Any insights would be appreciated.

Cheers,

- Pete
IMG_7815.jpg
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
hammer

Post by hammer »

Susie
Purple hairstreak and brown hairstreak in your garden, thats awesome, how did you manage that.

Colin.
Deano

Post by Deano »

Hi all
I am thrilled to say that while I was in Clare, Suffolk this afternoon, I saw my first Clouded Yellow of the year, and what's more, my first in this country since 2000! I managed just one photo before it went whizzing off over a field.
Also, something I was really surprised about, I saw a Peacock ovipositing. I've only once before known Peacocks to have a 2nd brood in the single year. Has anyone else come across 2nd brood Inachis io?
Regards
Deano.
Attachments
Clouded yellow (2).jpg

Return to “Sightings”