Think about thistles

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Think about thistles

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi all,

I have always prided myself on my powers of observation and the regard that I have for the natural world, but today I learned a salutary lesson because my brain was not engaged.

I was doing some weeding and digging in a flowerbed in the front garden in preparation for some new planting. My next door neighbour had recently had their front garden landscaped with chippings and planting, but a few weeds were starting to come through. While weeding my side I reached across the low dividing wall and pulled a few of theirs. Then I noticed a huge thistle which had sprouted from around the base of one of their newly planted shrubs. It was within reach, so I instinctively grabbed it and pulled it up. Just as I was putting it into my compost bag I noticed a few black flecks on the leaves which looked like caterpillar droppings. Then, as I looked closer, I saw a number of fine silky webs within the flower heads with little black larvae inside. Then, two unmistakable Painted Lady larvae on the leaves. The more I looked the more I saw. The whole plant was covered with caterpillars of different sizes.

My first reaction was - Aaagh, what have I done? My second reaction was - SAVE THE PLANT ! (followed by another Aaagh). Fortunately the thistle came up largely undamaged and with the whole root, so I quickly potted it into the biggest tub that I had and soaked the soil. That tub is now in another tub full of water and the whole lot is soaking in a shady spot. It's looking a bit floppy at the moment, but it is being supported by canes and twine and I am hopeful that it will survive. Meanwhile my dinner was getting crispy in the oven, but that was a small price to pay.

On reflection, I may have saved the colony because if the plant had been removed by my neighbour, none of us would have been any the wiser. I will have a closer look and count the larvae when the plant has recovered.

I am posting this as a new topic on the gardening forum rather than as part of the Painted Lady Influx thread, because updates will be easier for everyone to follow here. In the meantime here is a photo of the largest caterpillar.
P6260141X.jpg
Cheers,

Vince
Vince Massimo

Re: Think about thistles

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi all,

Just a quick update on the situation.

I have counted 16 Painted Lady larvae on the thistle. They range in size from 20mm to 5mm. The two largest ones are looking a bit sluggish so I am not sure if they are about to moult.

More updates soon.

Cheers,

Vince.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Thats good to know. I found my first caterpilalrs today on thistles, so I'll be keeping a look out on them.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

I don't want to engage a battle but why get rid of thistles in your garden? I would not consider them as weeds as when they flower they attract a lot of wildlife!! :D
My neighbourg decided to spray some weed killer on nettles at the bottom of her garden and off course, she killed my nettles as well while spraying!! As everybody know,nettles are important for the caterpillars of a lot of butterflies but when these are in their garden, people consider them as weeds and they just don't care! The worst thing behind this, is that she had asked me if these nettles bothered me before doing so. I had explained that nettles were good for wildlife etc and that she should not get rid of them, I thought she had understood but no!!
I am not saying you don't care Vince, obviously you replanted the plant but there is indeed a good lesson to learn for people who care anyway and anyhow!
Sylvie
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Sylvie,

Yes, I have learned my lesson. Thanks for reminding me again :D

I am happy to report that all the caterpillars are munching away happily and I could swear that you can almost see them growing. Here is the largest which moulted yesterday.
P6300221X.jpg
Regards,

Vince
Susie

Post by Susie »

That's smashing, Vince, please keep us up dated. :D
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi everyone,

The latest news from "the thistle" is that it has been completly consumed. I am now providing food by taking cuttings from a doner plant nearby.

The largest of the caterpillars are now pupating. Some were found wandering around the patio looking for a suitable pupation site and most ended up in a nearby clump of bamboo. A few stayed on the food plant and pupated in a silken tent. Some of the caterpillars have developed quite vivid colours rather than the usual black and yellow. At first I thought this was a temporary colouration following a moulting cycle, but, if anything, the colours have got brighter as they grew.

A few photos to show progress:
P7120061A.jpg
P7120063B.jpg
Hope to have some hatchings soon.

Cheers,

Vince.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Smashing. :D
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi all,

Just to let you know, I had my first hatching this morning from the chrysalis shown in my previous post. A few hours later I watched as a shaky maiden flight took place. I have 5 more to watch.

I hope you all enjoyed this little story. I am sure the Painted Lady saga will continue in this exceptional year.
P7250244X.jpg
Cheers,

Vince
thepostieles

Post by thepostieles »

thats great vince, ive told afew people while delierverin the post to keep nettles in their garden, forgot about thistles but i will tell them nxt week :D

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”