Isle of Wight First week of August

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Darren Pearce

Isle of Wight First week of August

Post by Darren Pearce »

Hello, I am off on a family holiday to the Isle of Wight. Can anyone offer suggestions of sites to see a wide variety of buterflies. Chalkhill and Adonis Blues are on the wanted list.

I am then moving onto Weymouth and hope to see Lulworth Skipper, again any suggestions appreciated
Dave

Re: Isle of Wight First week of August

Post by Dave »

Hi - I'll be doing Dorset during that week and can suggest Durlston CP near Swanage. You can't fail with Lulworth Skipper there. Last time I visited was in 2007 and there were Chalkhill Blue as well. Good site for Clouded Yellow if they're around as well as Wall etc. I'll be revisiting as Essex Skipper is there too and I need photos. For Adonis I've always visited Martin Down but I've only ever gone after them in the first brood.
Sorry haven't been to the Isle of Wight since 1979!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

I agree, Durlston is a great site. Should be down there tomorrow, so I'll let you know what's about.

Gruditch
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Chalkhills look to be just starting at Durlston, Lulworth Skippers are everywhere, plenty of Small Blue too, a bit early for Adonis I think. Without even trying we saw 21 species today, but with the harsh sun, and a strong wind, it wasn't ideal for photography.

Gruditch
Durlson cp.jpg
Lulworth 800.jpg
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Try Bonchurch Down for Adonis blue (second brood)- park in Leeson Road Ventnor viewpoint carpark and walk in towards Ventnor and take the footpath on the right which goes up on to the Downs behind the road at SZ575783.Walk up the steps and then along the path along the bottom of the Downs. Should be small heath, common blue and possible adonis blue.
Brading Down is good for Chalkhill blues, and Walters Copse Newtown for SW fritillaries and white admiral. Also try Shalcombe Down for DG fritillaries.
Should be plenty of painted ladies on buddleia anywhere on the IOW too. :)

Return to “Sites”