July 2009 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Mikhail

Re: July 2009 Sightings

Post by Mikhail »

If Marbled Frits are breeding there it should be easy to find caterpillars, which sit around on the upper surface of Bramble leaves.
Attachments
Brenthis-daphne_40437.jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi Jack,

The Marbled Fritillary is one of the very few species spreading northwards in France, apparently in response to warming temperatures. I would have thought Buckinghamshire would be beyond its capabilities at the moment, but if temperatures keep rising for a couple of decades...

Whilst not wishing to defend the unauthorised release of non-native species, I wonder if there is a case for establishing the likes of Coenonympha oedippus and Maculinea teleius here, if conditions are right for them and habitat loss/climate change puts them at risk of extinction in their existing range?
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Wood Whites in profusion again at Botany Bay Woods with at least 20 seen along one 200yards stretch of the main ride. 18 species seen in the wood this morning thoguh not all of it covered, plenty of Silver-washed Fritillaries bounding around with a few looking particularly fresh however no Purple Emperors today.
Attachments
Wood White Botany Bay 180709 WEB 064.jpg
Wood White Botany Bay 180709 WEB 043.jpg
jhanlon

Post by jhanlon »

Nice! Are second brood wood whites likely at all southern sites (I was thinking Salcey Forest which would be nearest for me)? How long are they likely to be on the wing?
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Many Chalkhill Blues out at Devils Dyke, Cambs today though the very windy and often wet conditions were not very good for overall enjoyment, that said a nice mating pair were found along the old railway. I noted that on the female there are some apparent 'silver-studs'. Is this usual on Chalkhills or have I just not been paying close enough attention to them.
Attachments
Chalkhill Blues pair Devils Dyke 190709 WEB 037.jpg
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

That's quite an observation, Steve. I've not come across such a thing before myself (and I can't find anything appropriate at http://www.nhm.ac.uk/jdsml/research-cur ... me=coridon).

I look forward to hearing from others on this!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
James M

Post by James M »

Went up to Arnside Knott today and saw my very first Grayling! I also saw a freshly emerged Scotch Argus, that place is going to be teeming with them soon . Other sightings included 3 Fritillarys, either DG or HB couldn't tell which as they just wouldn't stay still long enough for a photo! lol (which was pretty much the story for all the butterflies today). The most numerous were Meadow Browns 20+, I also saw a lot of Gatekeepers at least 13. So all in all a great day
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Just a fun, posed picture of Poplar Hawk Moth ex light trap 20th july.

Jack
Attachments
09-07-20-016-PoplarHawk.jpg
Piers

Post by Piers »

jackharr wrote:
... Marbled Fritillaries ...Finemere Woods ...
Highly unlikely of course to be the result of natural immigration – nearest place where they occur (according to my Collins) is southern France and northern Spain. That hardly suggests that our Midlands climate is suitable for introduction to succeed.

Jack
This is undoubtedly a release. There are a lot of people breeding European stock in this country at the moment and 'surplus' stock is getting dumped all the time. After all, when you have (say) sixty Marbled Fritillary emerge and you don't collect (or 'set') them what do you do?

Marsh Fritillary are another 'popular' species to breed, and local records up and down the country are blighted by these un solicited releases. If you know of a Marsh Fritillary colony near you that is small (i.e. not part of a meta colony), fluctuating in numbers unusually (perhaps going extinct only to suddenly return after a couple of years in good quantity), then in all likelihood it's a release being irregularly topped up. The Bentley Wood colony springs immediately to my mind... I am convinced that this colony is regularly being bolstered by captive stock.

Sadly there are also some breeders (some of them pretty well known and apparently 'respected') who seem intent upon releasing all sorts of stuff into the countryside surreptitiously. Clearly thinking that they know better than conservation bodies etc. A Lesser Purple Emperor release is the latest rumour that has hit the grape vine...

The only surprise here is that we don't get more reports of oddities and continental species...

Felix.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

I've even seen a picture of a Glanville Fritillary, taken at Basingstock this year. :evil:

Gruditch
jhanlon

Post by jhanlon »

"Nice! Are second brood wood whites likely at all southern sites (I was thinking Salcey Forest which would be nearest for me)? How long are they likely to be on the wing?"

can no-one answer my question??
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

jhanlon wrote:"Nice! Are second brood wood whites likely at all southern sites (I was thinking Salcey Forest which would be nearest for me)? How long are they likely to be on the wing?"

can no-one answer my question??
Take a look at http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species. ... od%20White

"The English colonies emerge in early May and fly until the end of June. In Ireland, the emergence starts in late May and the adults fly until the middle of July. Some sites, especially those in Surrey and Sussex, may experience a partial 2nd brood in good years."

Cheers,

- Pete
jhanlon

Post by jhanlon »

thanks Pete. A trip to Surrey it is
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pete,
I would be a little more generous than "....may experience a partial 2nd brood in good years." The Botany Bay and North Sussex colony second broods are as reliable and 'full' as the first, sometimes producing slightly higher numbers than the first brood. jhanlon - get down to Botany Bay (SU978348 and follow the main track SE) if you can. Good numbers there yesterday - most nice and fresh.
Neil
P1100214_edited-1.jpg
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi Pete,
I would be a little more generous than "....may experience a partial 2nd brood in good years." The Botany Bay and North Sussex colony second broods are as reliable and 'full' as the first, sometimes producing slightly higher numbers than the first brood. jhanlon - get down to Botany Bay (SU978348 and follow the main track SE) if you can. Good numbers there yesterday - most nice and fresh.
Neil
P1100214_edited-1.jpg
Good point. I'll update the description!

Cheers,

- Pete
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

You can also certainly find them in nearby Oaken Wood (BC Reserve) where the access point is SU993338 (walk west into wood). I found first brood there as early as 2nd May this year so I would imagine the second brood is showing well now.

Jack
eccles

Post by eccles »

The weather forecast is looking promising for the weekend. Worth a trip, methinks...
NickB

Post by NickB »

Second brood Common Blue in my local cemetery - quite early; could we see a third partial brood...?
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nick wrote from the Dead Centre of Cambridge:
Second brood Common Blue in my local cemetery
I saw one (and photographed underside only) at Holme NNR, Hunstanton on 16th July, but this one near Cambridge on 20th was more co-operative.

Jack
Attachments
09-07-20-040-CommonBlue.jpg
NickB

Post by NickB »

Nice one Jack - I went to Holme earlier this year; loads of CB - but the ripping wind off the North Sea put paid to any photos!
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."

Return to “Sightings”