June 2009 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Hamearis

Re: June 2009 Sightings

Post by Hamearis »

Shirley rote;- and so is a snake I was told my a passing lady so now its wellis time

Snakes dont migrate so ware your wellys all the time!

Wuss

Ham
Piers

Post by Piers »

Sussex Kipper wrote: After such a cold, hard winter we may see a good number of aberrations this summer - it's wise to look closely at everything!
Neil
WAUKB.jpg
For White Admiral, Comma and SWF, some sort of 'shock' to the pupae around 1st week in June would be a good guess, especially as each of these species would have been in early pupa stage around this time. Were there any unseasonable weather conditions around this time (late air frosts at night etc..) ?

Felix.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Felix,
Not that I remember, but of course it might take only a small drop in temperature, below a 'critical' point, which might have affected the local area - and have gone largely un-noticed. I would be interested to know whether cold-shock to the larval stage can 'reprogram' further development.
Neil
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

The Meadow Browns are in my field, I'll get some photos this evening when the snake has gone back to the pond, by the way 'Ham' snakes hibinate. Anyway its too hot for wellies so I went onto the cliff path, very hot but very good as I saw a few butterflies.
DSC05185 (Small).JPG
A battered Female Common Blue, Speckled Woods, three Large Skippers, around four Meadow Browns. I've amended this comment for the reasons that Nick pointed out.
Shirley
Last edited by Shirley Roulston on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Shirley

If "your" snake is "returning to the pond" it is probably a Grass Snake that is TOTALLY harmless to people, and you are privileged to have one sharing your part of the planet.
You have NO NEED to wear wellington boots at all.
Even if it were an Adder you have almost no chance of being bitten by it as they are very wary of people, and will sense your approach and disappear way before you reach it. Even if you touched it, it is unlikely to bite, and unless it was very large could not gape wide enough to "get" anything much wider than a finger.

So stop being daft, and get out and enjoy your wonderful co-habitee.

Interestingly, in order to avoid your grass snake you went on a stroll on the coast path. This is the ideal habitat for adders, and if you weren't within feet of a dozen or more during your stroll I would be very surprised.

Wear your wellies from March to October to avoid the horrors of snake bite in your meadow, garden, coast path or just about anywhere - or you could choose to stop being irrational and just enjoy these fabulous creatures.

Roger

p.s. Hibernate is spelt "hibernate" not as you spelt it - unless you were poking fun at Ham's speling problems, which isn't very nice. Incidentally, there are a few spelling errors in your post, but I am too much of a gentleman to point them out. :wink:
Cheers

Roger
Shirley Roulston

Roger, I don't poke fun at anyone and Ham made a casual remark about snakes and I just made a reply at how it is, yes I don't like snakes but I like butterflies. I enjoy being able to go out and about looking for butterflies even in this heat and enjoy putting a field to hay and planting wild flowers to attract wildlife but I don't like it when people have a dig at me for no reason. I had no reason to think that Ham was indeed poking fun and I am sorry that I have a few spelling errors. Thank you.
From Shirley
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi all,

Today I visited Southwater Woods, Sussex between 10.45am and 2.15pm and was delighted to find a Purple Emperor on the path of the "Sallow Ride" at 11.30. Unfortunately it took off as I approached and flew past me - so no photos. Also seen were 15 White Admiral, 15 Silver Washed Fritillary, 200+ Meadow Brown, 10 Ringlet, 50+ Speckled Wood, 20 Large Skipper, 5 Comma, 1 Painted Lady and 1 Red Admiral.
P6240121A.jpg
P6240134X.jpg
Numbers are building nicely and none of the female White Admirals or Silver Washed Fritillaries have yet emerged.

Cheers,

Vince
Shirley Roulston

Lovely walk this evening plus a bonus photo. You had a fantastic day Vince and lovely photos.
Shirley
Attachments
DSC05255 (Small).JPG
xmilehigh

Post by xmilehigh »

Felix wrote:
xmilehigh wrote:Fresh Looking Comma from West Yatton Down today.

Posted because the 'comma' is clearly visible & in almost all the underwing pics I have seen the white marking never forms a complete circle, not sure if this unusual or not.
Hi Jerry,

This is indeed very unusual, and goes by the name of ab. o-album. You struck gold there...

Felix.
Hi Felix,

Thank you for ID. It did not look right when browsing through the days shots, really glad I posted it now.

Cheers
_____
Jerry
JH's Photo's
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

PhotoShop can work wonders! Only joking of course. Interesting specimen.

Jack
xmilehigh

Post by xmilehigh »

:wink:
_____
Jerry
JH's Photo's
eccles

Post by eccles »

Jerry, West Yatton Down being BC Chairman Maurice Avent's patch, he might be pleased to receive a copy of your comma.
Email sightings@wiltshire-butterflies.org.uk will probably get there.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Just one of hundreds of Peacock larvae seen in Southwater Woods, Sussex.

Jack
Attachments
PeacockLarva.jpg
NickB

Post by NickB »

Irrational fear is one thing that leads people to give snakes a bad press! It also leads people to kill snakes rather than protect them :(
To mention it once is forgiveable (people have similar phobias about spiders after all); but to continue to mention it as if one were in mortal danger each time one stepped out of the door is not! Some people may just smile and think it is funny; others who are more passionate about wildlife rail at such ignorance. Roger falls into the latter category.
Actually Shirley, most people on this forum would be running the other way to you; just to see these fantastic creatures is a privilege :mrgreen:
NickB
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
eccles

Post by eccles »

Shirley, I quite understand why you don't like snakes. It's not irrational but instinct based on the fact that some snakes are venomous. A survival trait that tells a person instinctively to avoid ALL snakes means the human species will be less likely to be bitten by those that are deadly. Fortunately, in this country even the adder, as the only venomous snake, is not usually deadly, but human instinct still has to be overcome before they can be accepted and admired as the beautiful wild creatures that they are.
As for me, I have an irrational abhorrence of ticks. If I see one on my clothing it dies. Sorry Roger. :D
James M

Post by James M »

15 Speckled Woods on my walk today plus a Large White that flew past.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Deleted
Last edited by Rogerdodge on Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Roger
Denise

Post by Denise »

And talking of tics. :twisted: I took all precautions while on holiday in Hungary, tucked everything in and sprayed my legs (under my long trousers) to deter creepy crawlies. I was the only person to get tics on them!!!!
Some wore shorts, others wore vests and I got the tics. :shock:
One on my bum, (you should try removing something that you can't see while not sharing a room with anyone) and which is still itching and three attached themselves inside my bra.
I will no longer call Eccles TC. :lol: (Tic Collector)

Denise
Denise
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

xmilehigh wrote:Fresh Looking Comma from West Yatton Down today.

Photo mangled by yours truly :D Sometimes flash seems to work and sometimes it just ............. :?
Posted because the 'comma' is clearly visible & in almost all the underwing pics I have seen the white marking never forms a complete circle, not sure if this unusual or not.
Hi - I know what you mean about the flash - but actually I quite like this image and I must admit Ive can't say I have ever seen a Comma where the 'Comma' is a circle. Maybe time to rename it as a 'FIgure of Zero' or something - there is a 'Figure of Eight' and a 'Figure of Eighty' moth - so why not ;-). Well spotted!

I am 'desperate' to get out and see some butterflies. I am so fed up with everyone seeing all these but unfortunately it's not been possible. Consequently Ive turned my hand to moth trapping this past 2 weeks. Its been very educational and fun for the kids and me. I've uploaded some pics - albeit not brilliant images to the Lepidoptera (not butterflies) post. The 4 Privet Hawks that flew into the garden in early hours of Weds morning were held in a large netted moth holding cage during the night and this morning I found one of them had left a scattering of eggs. I hope to rear caterpillars from them if they are fertile. The adult moths are due to be released again this evening. Data has been submitted to the garden moths count for this week. It's been strangely addictive although the late nights (2am finish) haven't helped me concentrate at work this week!
Shirley Roulston

DSC05176 (Small).JPG
DSC05237 (Small).JPG
Both the Large Skipper and the Meadow Brown, I spotted yesterday.
Shirley

Return to “Sightings”