Escallonia Macrantha

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Harry Fowler

Escallonia Macrantha

Post by Harry Fowler »

Just got back from a holiday in South Wales. The cottage we stayed in had a large shrub growing at the shaded end. It was an absolute magnet for bees and Painted Ladies, even though it was in shade nearly all day. It was covered in moths in the evening. There must have been forty or more bees on it at any one time. Painted Ladies were queuing up to feed on it and warming up on the sunny slate roof of the cottage in between feeding in the shade.
I brought four cuttings home and looked it up and it's called Escallonia Macrantha, if the cuttings take I will definitely give it a try it in my garden.

Cheers, Harry
Polly

Re: Escallonia Macrantha

Post by Polly »

Hi Harry and welcome to UK butterflies!!

I have a large Escallonia Macrantha in my south-facing front garden; it gets so many honeybees on it at the moment that the shrub looks like it's moving. The honeybees attract hornets, one of which I watched devouring a honeybee yesterday! Unfortunately I haven't seen any butterflies on it, yet. It is certainly a worthwhile plant to have, especially as it easy to maintain.

Polly
Inachisio

Re: Escallonia Macrantha

Post by Inachisio »

Actually the species is Escallonia rubra, being macrantha only a variety. This chilean shrub have a rich floration but the one of my garden don't attract almost anything.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”