Possible silver-studded blue?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Frances

Possible silver-studded blue?

Post by Frances »

Please could one of you experts confirm that these butterflies are silver-studded blue and not common blue please? Found them this morning on the coast path in West Cornwall, near Nanjizal: a truly wonderul sight.
PICT0506.JPG
PICT0537.JPG
PICT0547.JPG
PICT0564.JPG
m_galathea

Re: Possible silver-studded blue?

Post by m_galathea »

Hi Frances,

Welcome to UKB :) Numbers 1, 2 and 4 are all Silver-studded Blues. No. 3 I think is Silver-studded (female) but I'm not 100% on that... I'm sure somebody will be able to confirm this one.

Alexander
Frances

Post by Frances »

Hello Alexander. Two and three were the same butterfly, definitely a female; number 4 was chasing after her, but she didn't seem terribly interested! Number one was 100 yards further on. I am so pleased that they are silver studded - thank you so much for your help. I've been examining lots of photos, but still wasn't quite sure: I am new to butterflies. Lots of other butterflies around this morning too: speckled wood, large and small skippers, large and small heaths, meadow browns, ringlets (I think - large, dark, and a strange bouncy flight as if someone was pulling it on a string); also a couple of small tortoiseshells, a red admiral, and a few remaining painted ladies.
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Ah so all Silver-Studded then! I was hesitant because I haven't seen a female with that much blue on the wings, although my experience of this species is very limited unfortunately.

As you can see, Cornwall is very rich in butterflies; I have always enjoyed the coast especially. There should still be lots of Small Pearl-bordered and Dark Green Fritillaries around at the moment.

your last SSB photo is very well done btw, and above all good find! Keep us posted on what you see 8)
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Frances wrote: large and small heaths
Only the Small Heath lives in Cornwall, the Large Heath is a nothern species so it's likely you made a mistake on that one.

Alexander
Frances

Post by Frances »

Quite likely! Yes, it was a female Meadow Brown, looking at the pics again. Thank you for putting me right.

I've not yet seen any fritillaries this year - I've looked in a place where I saw a Small Pearl Bordered last year and the year before, but no sign. I don't think I've ever seen a Dark Green Fritillary here. Obviously time for a visit to Cudden Point. Thanks for help.

Return to “Identification”