Alcombe, Hanny Combe and Bin Combe

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Simon C

Alcombe, Hanny Combe and Bin Combe

Post by Simon C »

Visited the above three sites on Saturday, to see Heath Fritillary [train to Taunton, 28 bus to Alcombe, then walk, and walk, and walk; 16 miles according to the pedometer, for the round trip ending up back at the historic castle village of Dunster for the 28 bus back to Taunton].

HF seen at all three combes, and occasionally imbetween. Best spot in terms of numbers was west of Hole's corner, at the top of Alcombe common, which is also the most accessible spot. Dozens of HF were to been seen here, off the path which forms part of the Macmillan Way between Dunster and Wootton common. GH were numerous throughout the hike, along with SH, but apart from UPL there was little else seen.

Hanny Combe was special. I couldn't find a footpath to speak of to get there - only the paths through the bracken made by animals. The seclusion was confirmed by the fact that the combe seemed popular with several red deer who were laying up for the day. I was watched by several, their heads rising above the bracken, and one emerged from nowhere and took flight when I was just a couple of meters away - not sure who was most startled. HF were seen in fair numbers near where the valley divides. It was wonderful to watch them gliding by whilst sat in the shade near the bubbling watercourse.

Simon

Hanny Combe

wavelea1

Re: Alcombe, Hanny Combe and Bin Combe

Post by wavelea1 »

Simon

Magic timing - I was thinking that a drive to the other side of London was going to be necessary.

Alcombe here I come.

Thanks

Mike

Return to “Sites”