Unusual Dragonfly behaviour

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Cotswold Cockney

Unusual Dragonfly behaviour

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Had a bit of a lay in on Saturday ~ got up at 0930 and made my way downstairs to make a pot of tea for the family all still in bed...:)

Looking out of the kitchen window, I saw a large Dragonfly cruising up and down our patio in the warm morning sunshine. It then dived under a bush near my greenhouse and settled down inside the bush, hanging from the leaves. It was still there at 1030 ~ such a long resting period on such a fine sunny day was puzzling. Dragonflies do not hang about for long in my experience. I got my camera and after a careful approach, got one or two images.

This first shot was from about two feet away. The insect was not disturbed by the camera or the flash so I moved in closer for the next shot:~

The Dragon fly was there all day ~ checked it frequently and even took a flash image closer up when after dark about 2215hrs:~

Next morning it was still there until my wife, concerned that it might be dieing, gently shook the bush and it immediately flew away.

I believe it was still a relatively freshly emerged individual as the full blue colouring had not yet fully developed as it would in a more mature individual.

Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Will

Re: Unusual Dragonfly behaviour

Post by Will »

Hi Cotswold

Looks like a teneral (fresh) female Southern Hawker to me. Probably resting up while wings dried out.
Will
Cotswold Cockney

Re: Unusual Dragonfly behaviour

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Will wrote:Hi Cotswold

Looks like a teneral (fresh) female Southern Hawker to me. Probably resting up while wings dried out.
Yes, I was thinking along those lines. There is a large flood balancing lake about 200 metres away as the Hawker flies and it possibly originated from there. Quite an interesting site that with a variety of wildlife to observe.

When I was twelve, not far from where I currentky live, was a small pond in the corner of a field. I had been treated to a child's ponding net on a five foot bamboo cane. Many fields in the area had such ponds ~ originally there for thirsty livestock ~ and the first time I tried my net for tadpoles in that pond, I netted a fully grown dragonfly larva, the appearance of which scared me at the time as I had no idea what it was. I now know what I netted then was a mature larva of Cordulegaster boltonii (?sp) The Golden ringed dragonfly IIRC ~ probably the ugliest, scariest larva in the history of creation ~ well that's what I thought at the time....:)

ETA @ 15:07

None of those ponds, fields and wildlife exist anymore. Only roads, shops and houses ... one of those houses is mine....

What's habitat destruction Dad?

Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.

Return to “General”