June 2009 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Re: June 2009 Sightings

Post by Jack Harrison »

I recall reading that a similar explosion of a Heath Fritillary population occurred following an earlier re-introduction into south Essex in the 1920s (or was it 1930s?). Unfortunately, I cannot find the reference to those reports. The butterfly apparently did very well for several years and was even turning up in gardens in the area. It was observed to breed on a variety of plants other than cow-wheat, including (as best I can recall) Foxglove, various Speedwells and even garden Antirrhinum.

The population then crashed and died out for unknown reasons, quite possibly as a result of a disease of some sort. Someone will no doubt have better information of the facts and can put the record straight.

But I do have to raise the concern that the butterfly seems to be doing almost too well at present and there could well be some disappointments ahead.

Jack
xmilehigh

Post by xmilehigh »

Very nice series of shots NickB.
_____
Jerry
JH's Photo's
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

It appears the colony at Little Haven EWT is fairly new and may well have spread from the Pound Wood colony in the past 3-5years, I stand to be corrected on this though. A few years ago only a 'few' were noted by a few visitors here however the broad ride in the middle of Starvelarks Wood along the line of Pylons has a healthy population, a careful count of 355 made on Saturday, they were everywhere. This colony is only about 150yards from the nearby Daws Heath Road and only 200yards from parking up which makes it perhaps one of the easiest Essex colonies to visit.

With coppicing and site management continuing in this and the other nearby woods hopefully the numbers wont nosedive and new colonies are established in other nearby woods. May the fritillary festival continue.

Steve :P
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

First Ringlet of the year for me, yesterday, in the old quarry next to Bathampton Down golf course. Couple of weeks earlier than the first sighting last year.

Simon
NickB

Post by NickB »

SteveA wrote:It appears the colony at Little Haven EWT is fairly new and may well have spread from the Pound Wood colony in the past 3-5years...along the line of Pylons has a healthy population, a careful count of 355 made on Saturday Steve :P
It is lucky that EDF need to clear the areas under the pylons on a regular basis else the areas for Frits may not be so numerous, or else the WT which has cleared other areas to revert to a more traditional canopy and coppiced undergrowth regime, would have even more to do. I notice that volunteers (I presume) also do raking and removal of material to maintain those areas; their efforts are being rewarded with a great show this year!
Well done to all concerned - a successful reintroduction, so far... :)
Nick
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Hi,

At Park wood today in between showers, two small whites and eight Speckled woods.

Cheers

Sezar
Attachments
Speckled wood.jpg
Common white.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi All,
While at a habitat management meeting in Rewell Wood (West Sussex) this morning, I had my first Ringlet of the year. I love em when they're fresh and velvety :D
Neil
Ringlet UKB.JPG
Ringlet2 UKB.JPG
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

More excellent pictures Neil. Your Box Brownie in your capable hands really does deliver the goods.

When I was young, (1940s/50s!) Ringlets used to be July/August butterflies. Everything seems to be so early today.

Is the season also getting earlier in say Northern France, Germany, the Low Countries, Scandinavia? And what about the other side of the pond in North America? Does anyone have any data? Switzerland (Guy) might not offer a valid comparison because of altitude effects.

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Jack,
That's certainly my earliest ever Ringlet! As you say, a species once associated with July onwards. I suspect the changes we are seeing are a little more marked than in more southerly areas, simply because the UK spans the northerly limit of many species' geographical range. Recent temperature trends are more likely to affect their phenology here.
Neil
thepostieles

Post by thepostieles »

used to be hundreds of ringlets in the 70s when i lived in flintshire, very very common, sadly all but disappeared :(
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

not needed as original amended. J
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi All,
While at a habitat management meeting in Rewell Wood (West Sussex) this morning, I had my first Ringlet of the year. I love em when they're fresh and velvety :D
Neil
Ringlet UKB.JPG
Ringlet2 UKB.JPG
Very chocolatey, certainly the bournville of butterflies.
eccles

Post by eccles »

I usually look for ringlets on July 1st in my patch. I haven't seen any yet.
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

just a few pics from my local patch at the weekend.

gary. :D
Attachments
small pearl male,wooton coppice
small pearl male,wooton coppice
silver studded male, shirley holms
silver studded male, shirley holms
silver studded male
silver studded male
common blue female, keyhaven.
common blue female, keyhaven.
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

The butterflies are back but you have to search for them because of the Northerly wind, nearly stood on this caterpillar but I don't know the species is, Large Skipper and Small Copper
Picture 010 (Small).jpg
Picture 030 (Small).jpg
Picture 027 (Small).jpg
Shirley
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Shirley,

Nice photo's. Your cat is a Drinker Moth, I think.

Denise
Denise
Shirley Roulston

How did you know Denise, did you just know or do you have a moth book, I searched through that big book of mine and couldn't see then I thought it may have been a Painted Lady but I looked at Pete's photos but no luck there. Good for you Denise.
Denise

Post by Denise »

Once seen, never forgotten Shirley.

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... =14&t=3188

Today in the garden I have seen at least 15 Speckled Wood, a few 'whites' 2 Painted Lady and a Small Tort. :D
IMG_0015 (Medium).JPG
I also had a Vapourer moth cat. A very pretty and lively little beggar.

Denise
Denise
Shirley Roulston

Do you know Denise that is actally what I went out to find to-day instead I did find the others which around here is not too bad, I had to race home for the big lens and got a lovely photo of a Whitethroat, how is anyone to manage carrying all these lenes :lol: Yours Small Tort' is a fine specimen.
Shirley
xmilehigh

Post by xmilehigh »

Hi,

From Collard Hill

Large Blue
_____
Jerry
JH's Photo's

Return to “Sightings”