Glanvilles - Sand Point

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Rogerdodge

Glanvilles - Sand Point

Post by Rogerdodge »

Hi
Thanks to Ian Pratt for the information that Glanvilles are out on the IoW, I wondered if anyone had seen them at Sand Point in Somerset yet?
I am planning to visit on Saturday in any case, but it would be good to know if they have been seen yet.

Roger

(Simon C, do you still follow this Forum? If so, please PM me.)
Cheers

Roger
Denise

Re: Glanvilles - Sand Point

Post by Denise »

Nothing on the BC site yet Roger but they have a planned walk on 20th May, and they usually see them then.
Cheers
Denise
Denise
web4160

Post by web4160 »

We visited Sand Point yesterday and didn't see any GFs. Plenty of other butterflies though.

David
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Thurs 21st - breezy but warm with extensive sunny periods

and the Glanvilles have appeared at Sand Point. :D Met up with members of Wilts BC and between us we located possibly 10 GFs in the normal area. Nick from Avon and Somerset BC joined us and informed us that they had been seen flying yesterday.

With a good weather forecast for the next few days it's time to get your skates on if you want/need to see them this year.

Mike
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Mike
Thanks for the info.
Got to Sand Point this a.m., and they were abundant in the usual area, and also I saw them further along the point. Someone also said they had established on the other side of the point, but I didn't have time to explore.
Roger
Attachments
GlanFrit sm.jpg
Cheers

Roger
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Rog

Great pic - I got a shed full on Thurs too.

While I was there I met Nick from our local BC and he was discussing the chance that they may be establishing on the northern side as a result of being blown over the top. He reckoned that the north side was at least three weeks behind the south side - so there's still hope. Did you see any Walls?
I recorded 4 Whites, Speckled Woods, Small Copper, Common Blue, one very faded Small Tort, one Painted Lady and of course the Glanville but last time I visited there were many Walls and I didn't see any this time?

Mike
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Mike,

I went today and saw the Glanville's. Same as you, Common Blue, Brown Argus, Small Copper, 1 Small Tort, 2 Large Skipper, Speckled Wood and 2 Wall towards the end of the point. Also there were at least 10 Painted Lady. Cracking day. :D

Hi Roger,
I actually saw Glanville's flying over the top to the other side right up by trig point today. :o

Denise
Denise
birdy43

Post by birdy43 »

is it a good time on sun 31st may or the next couple of sundays, to see glanvilles at sand point,and any info on the normal place would be very good.not to good on my feet. thanks
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Birdy43,
I don't have the local knowledge to let you know wether they will be flying this weekend, but they do have a short flight period - my guess is that this weekend may be your last chance this season - I may, of course be wrong.
I note that you are "not too good" on your pins, but it is not too far from the car park probably less than 1/2 a mile.
Follow the path at the top of the concreted steps up as far as the trig point. The field on your left needs to be crossed diagonally - it is a bit steep but take it sowly and you will spot Brown Argus and Common Blue, possibly also Dingy Skipper.
Go over the style, and follow the path until you get to what used to be a style, but is now a bench (!) and you are at the entrance to the best spot.
They are found all over this open area.
Good luck.
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Denise

Post by Denise »

I agree with Roger. Short flight period and they will probably be over by the end of next week.
Good directions to the normal spot. In fact I had my best sightings less than 10 yards form the style/bench.
Good luck Birdy43.

Denise
Denise
birdy43

Post by birdy43 »

thanks very much Rogerdodge,Denise for the replys,very helpful. i will try too make use of them, all being well this weekend.
web4160

Post by web4160 »

Visited Sand Point yesterday, The Glanvilles were still flying in the spot described by Roger. I saw about 6 different individuals most of which were still in very good condition. Also at Sand Point saw dozens of Paited Lady, a range of whites, speckled wood, Common Blue, Brown Argus, Small Copper and my first two Large Skipper of the year.
Attachments
DSC00683(1).JPG
DSC00675(1).JPG
DSC00646(1).JPG
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Birdy43
Well done - glad to have been of help.
Good place sn't it?

Roger
Cheers

Roger
birdy43

Post by birdy43 »

hi Rogerdodge, the above reply is from web4160.afraid i did not make on sunday,since my heart attack and heart bypass,i tend to run out of energy. could not face the 150 mile motorway journey,have to try again next year.still its nice to know that your excellent directions where put to use.how many miles did you do on sunday web4160?, as i think you went down from lancs.
web4160

Post by web4160 »

Hi birdy43

As it happens my sons live in Porteshead so I stayed with them on the Sunday and Monday nights which meant only travelling one way to/from East Lancashire in a day. I enjoyed Sand Point particular with Roger's instructions which led straight to the Granvilles. It was very hot though temperature in the mid 20s.

David

Return to “Sites”