Bridge camera advice please!

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
chassyp

Bridge camera advice please!

Post by chassyp »

Hi everyone. I am going to Spain in a couple of months and am looking for an all round camera. I use a digital SLR as a rule, but dont want to take the bulk and lenses abroad. I have seen the results of some Bridge cameras and they seem good enough to me. I need something that will be good for scenery and also for macro for creepy crawly things!! Any ideas would be appreciated. Regards.
Rogerdodge

Re: Bridge camera advice please!

Post by Rogerdodge »

chassyp,

In my opinion (for what THAT is worth?!) carrying the weight/bulk is worth it.
When that Spanish Festoon lands 3 feet away you will regret having left the right kit back at home!

What do you need/ - an SLR with a "Standard" zoom for landscapes etc (that weighs fractionally more than a bridge camera) and a macro lens. Hardly going to break your bak is it?

Spend the money on a decent carrying system (belt and holster/pouch) and you will hardly know it is there.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_products.html

Roger
Cheers

Roger
eccles

Post by eccles »

Nearly all superzoom cameras have pitifully small sensors, and their macro functions require you to get very close to the subject. However, I've seen some good results from the Canon G series compacts. Their sensors are larger than usual for a compact and the optics are pretty good.
But I agree with Roger. I'd take my DSLR and spend the money saved on a Tamron 18-250 zoom. This will cover most of your holiday snap needs, and focussing down to about 18" it'll give 1:3 magnification. It's pretty sharp, and with a bit of PP cropping should cover medium and large size bugs.
chassyp

Post by chassyp »

Thanks very much for the replies. Food for thought I must say. I guess the truth is, I thought that all along, but needed someone to spell it out!! Thanks again.

Return to “Photography”