April 2009 Lepidoptera Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Charles Nicol

Re: April 2009 Lepidoptera Sightings

Post by Charles Nicol »

I went to Woodwalton Marsh to see if there were any Grizzled Skippers about yet... none.

As I was about to drive away a male orange tip shot past the car... i ran after it for about 1/4 mile :shock: :shock: but did not get a picture :oops: :oops:

Charles
Susie

Post by Susie »

I thought I would be too late to catch any butterflies this afternoon but after the report from Kipper I thought I would try my luck. In the sunshine at Cissbury Ring there were a dozen peacocks and two Grizzled Skippers. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Grizzled Skipper  - copy.jpg
Grizzled Skipper - copy.jpg (85.56 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Charles Nicol
I went to Woodwalton Marsh to see if there were any Grizzled Skippers about yet... none.
I was tempted to try on Monday so thanks for saving me the effort. Maybe at end of week. It is VERY early for these parts.

Might instead try Foulden Common later in the week. It's about a similar distance for me. TF764000

Jack
cjs

Post by cjs »

Hi All,
An elderly lady I know has just described to me what appears to be a Peacock emerging from its chrysalis. She described a colourful butterfly with large round eyes emerging from a chrysalis. As far as I am aware they only emerge from mid July. Is she mistaken?
Regards cjs.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Definitely not a Peacock - but not sure what else it might be at this time of year! A Speckled Wood maybe?

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

How about an Emperor moth... They have large eye spots and definitely start hatching very early in April. :?:

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=559

Trev
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

speckled wood starting to show more now here today, only thing i got a pic of.
gary.
Attachments
speckled wood studland common , milford on sea Resize 3.jpg
speckled wood studland common , milford on sea Resize 3.jpg (192.99 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
cjs

Post by cjs »

Thanks Pete, Trev,
Trev I never gave that a thought but I think you must have it. I will show her a pic and see what she says. Thanks for the idea. It was from her back garden and she described it pumping its wings etc.
Regards cjs.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Gary, nice speckled wood. Like the small coppers too. I have not had much free time to be out and when I get 2 weeks free, it rains! well thats how it goes at times. Anyway, next week I am going to a bog if weather permits. Is it a bit early to see small heath? And at this bog there are emperor moths and looking for the best time to go and see if they are about.

Also, does anyone have an idea when my orang tip pupae should hatch? I have it in a net cage now but it appears lifeless and can't really see anything in it, but I never have seen anything in it.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
NickB

Post by NickB »

geniculata wrote:hi jack,
the camera used is my prosumer compact panasonic fz50, ..... but has the draw back of not a very close focus macro setting. hope that answers your question mate.
regards gary.
I have (since my FZ50 didn't bounce :( ) a surplus-to-requirements Panasonic branded close-up lens (cost £55 new) which you could try using with the close-up setting in the FZ50 for better macro work. (And it does have great d-o-f - took me ages to get anywhere as near with my DSLR...)
Are you going to the Photographic Workshop this month - I could bring it along...?
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

First holly blue seen yesterday on bay tree outside my office in Ryde Isle of Wight.
eccles

Post by eccles »

I caught a male orange tip warming up this morning after a cloud stopped it flying for a moment.
Snapped at Willsbridge Mill, near Bristol.
Sony A700 + 55-200mm zoom + Canon 500D c/u lens.
Attachments
DSC05292.jpg
DSC05292.jpg (92 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

hi nick
no i won't be at the photography work shop, but i get around the fz50's inadequate macro facility pretty easily just slipping on a raynox close up lens, with its universal quick release mount i can flick it on and off when needed which gives me great flexability. the speckled wood pic above was taken using it. thanks for the offer anyway.

:) gary
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

jackharr wrote:geniculata

You have amazing depth of field in that Peacock picture. Could you give us the camera details and settings (including crop), please?

Jack
You can download a freeware programs, eg iexif from comanys like http://www.opanda.com which will let you read all the EXIF data from a photo by right clicking on the imaging. NB if you use the save to web feature in som software programs, this will delete the EXIF data.
NickB

Post by NickB »

geniculata wrote:hi nick
... the fz50's inadequate macro facility :) gary
I feel compelled to say that this was NOT my experience - for those looking at this or similar cameras.
Setting the camera menu to accept the Panasonic "close-up" lens integrates it into the Leica lens system on the camera and gives truely great shots (for what it is)!
For instance....
HF_8_low_1.jpg
HF_8_low_1.jpg (126.9 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
or
23_05_07_Small_Blue_7.jpg
23_05_07_Small_Blue_7.jpg (202.12 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
were taken with the FZ50 plus Panasonic close-up lens, set to Macro mode in the camera.
Judge for yourselves...
My 2p... :D
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

1949 Fine spring morning. Large White lands in the garden. Ten-year-old school boy dashes for his net. He needs a spring brood specimen for his (pinned) collection aware that the underside is far less yellow than the ones he caught the summer before. He fails to catch it.

2009 Fine spring morning. Large White lands in the garden. Seventy-year-old senior citizen dashes for his camera. He needs a spring brood specimen for his (photo) collection aware that the underside is far less yellow than the ones he photographed the summer before. He fails again.

Dammit, why do I keep missing? Watch this space in 2049. I might have cracked it by then :)

Jack
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Hi,

Today 8th April Today at Denham Quarry (Colne Valley) Speckled wood 1, Orange tip 1, Peacock 1. Camera Olympus, E510 lens 40-150 mm with 25mm extension tube. Small tripod.

Sezar Hikmet :D
Attachments
Peacock.jpg
Peacock.jpg (188.19 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
Speckled wood.jpg
Speckled wood.jpg (206.48 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Orange tip 1.jpg
Orange tip 1.jpg (186.8 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Orange tip 2.jpg
Orange tip 2.jpg (215.07 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

hi nick,
i feel compelled to ask the question why you bought the panasonic close up lens, that you now have spare, when you already think the cameras macro settings are adequate. :?
gary.
eccles

Post by eccles »

What is particularly interesting is that the lens will stop down to F/11,
The sensor on the FZ50 is larger than most superzoom cameras which means that diffusion effects are less noticeable at F11. This also accounts for the larger than usual physical size of the camera.

I saw a small tortoiseshell at Velvet Bottom near Charterhouse in Somerset today trying to court a peacock by playing its antennae on the peacock's wings. Every time the peacock took off the ST chased it and tried again. Trying to make peatorts maybe? I'll leave it to others to suggest alternative permutations. :D
thepostieles

Post by thepostieles »

or small peacockshells lol :D saw a peacock today on my post round

Return to “Sightings”