Questions from a first time DSLR purchaser

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
JKT

Re: Questions from a first time DSLR purchaser

Post by JKT »

There are adapters for Canon flashes as well. Otherwise you couldn't use them with Canon's 180/3.5 L. It causes some vignetting at full aperture, but the problem seems marginal for a macro lens with macro flash.

And I always remember to correct that Sigma EM-140 is not a ring flash. :D The actual tubes are so short that it is a twin flash with fixed heads.
Andy.bn

Post by Andy.bn »

Some concise and useful thoughts from Markulous, and I certainly would consider a second hand camera body purchase. One can read and read about it, but in the end I will have to start handling and getting a feel for the likely camera set up.
I would like to second the comment made by Shirley - "Its nice that the experience photographers give beginners time to tell us things and I can honestly say it is appreciated."
Gruditch - I have just enjoyed looking at the super pics in your 2008 blog, I love the DG fritillary shot and the dew drop on the roosting butterfly, can you remind me what set up you use?
Thanks, Andy.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Thanks Andy, :) I used a Canon 40D throughout 2008, so the blog pics must of been taken with that. More importantly, I usually use a Sigma 150mm F/2.8 Macro, or a Canon 100-400 IS, the latter with an extension tube.

I haven't looked at my old blogs, I don't remember putting any relay great images in there. My better stuff is in my gallery, or my web. And some of those images were taken with a 300D or a 10D, relay dated models, that you can pick up for peanuts second hand.

Gruditch
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Which extension tubes do you use with the zoom Gruditch?

Trev
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Trev, I use a Canon extension tube EF25 2, It works great with the 100-400, but not so well with the shorter zooms, I've tried it with.

Gruditch
NickB

Post by NickB »

RE. extension tubes. Been playing with some tubes myself this winter - chose the Kenko for my Nikon (Nikon is ££!) - and they retain all metering and AF functions, tho' EXIF data does not seem to register them. They also work well stacked (with the Kenco 1.4 PRO TC on the Tamron 90mm); however, using all 3 tubes (a 12 mm, 20 mm, and 36 mm) brings the focal point inside the lens!
I know Dave M was asking about close-up macro work elsewhere; tubes certainly get you close - all you need then is a good light source - back to ring-flash, etc debate....
Has anyone tried the cheaper ring-flash units ie c £100? How do they stack-up against the Branded ones? (apart from being 1/4 the price!)
Ta...
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

NickB wrote: Has anyone tried the cheaper ring-flash units ie c £100? How do they stack-up against the Branded ones? (apart from being 1/4 the price!)
Ta...
N
I've used the Marumi. http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product ... ku=1026071
Same as the Sigma but fewer options/controls - but it does the job fine, just no subtlety to it! :)
NickB

Post by NickB »

Markulous wrote: Same as the Sigma but fewer options/controls - but it does the job fine, just no subtlety to it! :)
Thanks - about time I started getting more serious with flash and this a (cheaper) way to start ...my home-made "Heath-Robinson" soft-box attachment (plastic ice-cream cartons and elastic bands) isn't that useable in the field :)
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I am always bemused by these debates. Surely this is the obvious solution?

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/h ... ii-50.aspx

It's a snip at just under 16 Grand and if you haggle, you should be able to get £750 quid off that.

Why mess around with those puny 16 Mp cameras when you could have one of these?

Not sure if caddy's wages are included in the price.

Jack
eccles

Post by eccles »

Can you post samples, Jack? :)

Return to “Photography”